My thoughts on the draft

kyle021

Last year we went into the season with four defensive lineman and an abundance of linebackers on defense. 

We headed into draft with 3 returning DL in Casey, Jones, Johnson. This should have been extremely clear DT was going to be the first pick with G following it unless there is an available player in 2 that blows the FO out of the water pushing G down due to value. 

We bring Urban in for a visit days leading up to draft. Probably had him signed regardless but didn't want to announce it and tip our pick.

we draft Simmons. A 6’4 310lb athletic freak. Elite burst. Violent hands. Violent run defender and seasoned and polished pass rusher. Even the off field concerns would not have let him slide out of top 7-8 if not for ACL.

We got a top 3 talent who would have dropped a few spots bc of one incident in the past. He is going to be an absolute game changer and instantly upgrades our defense. He is relentless with a strong work ethic and love for the game. He is Albert Haynseworth with work ethic. Let that sink in. 

He will be on the field this year. Either PUP or IRDTR. 

Second round we hit another home run. In position to get a top IOL we opted to go a diff route and went with AJ Brown who can play X,Y or Z. He is big and fast, savvy routes, quick and is a strong run blocker and is physical. He does one thing I love. He fights for the ball, he high points the ball, he attacks the ball, he plucks the ball out of the air with his hands (Looking at you Taylor) and he has a nasty stiff arm and is very physical after the catch. Is he a bigger Baldwin? Is he more of a faster Landry? Is he like Thielen or Diggs? 

I have ave a hard time comparing him but I narrowed it to two players. He reminds me a lot of a mix between Keenan Allen and JuJu Smith-Schuster. That’s the best I can come up with. That’s great company. I would lean more Keenan Allen without the injury concerns. 

Nate Davis. Admit I don’t know much. But he is pretty darn quick on his feet and is a big dude who gets physical with whoever comes into his path. He needs work on technique and I think he will improve on that with NFL coaching and be a fine starting RG for us. He will be just fine on an OL that has Lewan, Saffold, Jones and Conklin as those starting with him. Plenty of upside. Comes in with what appears to be a floor of being a solid dependable starter with the ceiling of being above average to very good. 

Amani Hooker. We got what was another need. A safety. We only had Byard and Vaccaro and Cruikshank returning and desperately needed another and to upgrade and replace Lewis. We did that with Hooker who I believe will take Vaccaros job next year. Once again insane value. 

Deandre Walker is one of my favorites. Entered the year as a late first prospect. Had the measurables and athleticism and this was his first full year of starting after sitting behind and rotating with future 1-3 rounders. He was having a really good year and injuries and then couldn’t workout. Put on the tape and you see a “natural” 

He will be a starter and may be JRs next big 5th rounder. He will be the #4 OLBand get alot of reps and ST play. I love his game. He actually reminds me of a former Georgia Bulldog. Justin Houston. Similar size and profile. I’m not saying he will get 20+ sacks and command a huge salary but if he does we are extremely fortunate. 

David Long. 

I wont get hyped up too much about him but this guy is going to be a special team demon and help our ST unit out big time without being a major liability on defense like Bates or Compton. I like his game. He needs discipline and time in weight room. Put him with Jayon Brown 247

Simply put... I don’t see another team having a better draft with the players acquired and state of the roster other than maybe NE or Minnesota. 

I’ve really liked, more and more, the Amani Hooker pick.  He fits so well with what we do on defense, and is the type of versatile player you need to defend today’s high powered offenses.  It really looks like he fell due to the conference he played in as he had good production and the skills you want to see from secondary players.  

My only gripe is the davis pick. I thought there was other better and more versatile IOL players... but OL is one of those things the average fan really isnt a great judge on. That said, he looks like a meaner Warmack to me. Falls over a bunch, can get bullrushed, didnt seem to rank well in run blocking... but plays hard and to the whistle. 

I'd like to see PFF's rankings of him when he played Guard and not just Tackle. 

Everyone else was just a damn good pick and player. Excited we picked up Roberson and the RB in UDFA. Wish we could have gotten one of the two UDFA WRs but since they were able to choose their destinations, I bet they saw a full receiver room here and an easier path in other places. 

6 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

Simply put... I don’t see another team having a better draft with the players acquired and state of the roster other than maybe NE or Minnesota. 

A phrase used on probably 25 other message boards.

6 hours ago, titanruss said:

My only gripe is the davis pick. I thought there was other better and more versatile IOL players... but OL is one of those things the average fan really isnt a great judge on. That said, he looks like a meaner Warmack to me. Falls over a bunch, can get bullrushed, didnt seem to rank well in run blocking... but plays hard and to the whistle. 

Everyone else was just a damn good pick and player. Excited we picked up Roberson and the RB in UDFA. Wish we could have gotten one of the two UDFA WRs but since they were able to choose their destinations, I bet they saw a full receiver room here and an easier path in other places. 

You have to remember how different tackle is to guard. Strength matters in both places but fluid strength matters a lot more outside because it’s so easy to become unbalanced when no one is outside of you and you’re on an island. A guy who is a tackle in college with balance issues makes a nice transition to guard in the NFL if the baseline skill set is there. I haven’t seen enough to make a judgement, but that’s obviously the thought process. 

To go a step further, we picked a guy who obviously will not be our RT at any point. Robinson believes in Conklin. 

9 hours ago, titanruss said:

Agreed,wasn’t thrilled with the pick at first and honestly assumed they were moving up for Ferguson or McGovern.I wonder why they preferred Davis to McGovern.I know he had a high grade etc but I guess they just liked Davis more.Why I respect Jrob he evaluates a player and sticks with it.Me personally prob took Ferguson just cause of edge being lite but I’m happy either way.

3 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You have to remember how different tackle is to guard. Strength matters in both places but fluid strength matters a lot more outside because it’s so easy to become unbalanced when no one is outside of you and you’re on an island. A guy who is a tackle in college with balance issues makes a nice transition to guard in the NFL if the baseline skill set is there. I haven’t seen enough to make a judgement, but that’s obviously the thought process. 

To go a step further, we picked a guy who obviously will not be our RT at any point. Robinson believes in Conklin. 

This seems to be the case. It's looking like the doubt surrounding Conklin was perhaps much ado about nothing. I'll be curious to see if they exercise his option before the May 2nd deadline. 

Maybe they decline the option, figuring they can get a good comp pick for him if he departs via FA. And then if he plays well enough to earn the 11M, may as well either franchise tag him or sign him to a long term extension?

Or maybe they just pick up the option this week!

10 minutes ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

Nate Davis is a very good player. he is tough, quick and versatile.

If he wasn't in your wishlist..that's no reason to desqualify him....

I like him.  I just think Simmons, Brown, and Hooker have a very low probability of being duds, and it's unlikely 4/6 of your draft picks become starters.  So he seems to be the one primed to disappoint.

5 hours ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

Nate Davis is a very good player. he is tough, quick and versatile.

If he wasn't in your wishlist..that's no reason to desqualify him....

i'm not disqualifying. just giving an opinion as thats kinda the point of a message board. i also basically said i dont know much about what qualifies as being a good player there other than reading statlines.  i dont pretend to assume to know more than Jrob

i see that hes tough and versatile. havent seen the quick but havent seen anything telling me he's not quick. ive seen him get beat on bullrushes alot and i've seen him manhandle DBs and LBs.. so that leads me to believe he'll be solid at pulling.. which is good.. but not great at straight up blocking.. which is bad. 

and when the biggest protection issue was pressure straight up the right side in the a and b gaps... then it doesnt get me too excited. 

Archived