Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kyle021

My thoughts on the draft

Recommended Posts

I’ve really liked, more and more, the Amani Hooker pick.  He fits so well with what we do on defense, and is the type of versatile player you need to defend today’s high powered offenses.  It really looks like he fell due to the conference he played in as he had good production and the skills you want to see from secondary players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only gripe is the davis pick. I thought there was other better and more versatile IOL players... but OL is one of those things the average fan really isnt a great judge on. That said, he looks like a meaner Warmack to me. Falls over a bunch, can get bullrushed, didnt seem to rank well in run blocking... but plays hard and to the whistle. 

 

I'd like to see PFF's rankings of him when he played Guard and not just Tackle. 

 

Everyone else was just a damn good pick and player. Excited we picked up Roberson and the RB in UDFA. Wish we could have gotten one of the two UDFA WRs but since they were able to choose their destinations, I bet they saw a full receiver room here and an easier path in other places. 

 

 

Edited by titanruss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Somedude   

I can't believe how far Walker fell.  I don't have the best memory on NFL drafts but I don't remember one that so few WR were taken first couple rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scine09   
6 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

Simply put... I don’t see another team having a better draft with the players acquired and state of the roster other than maybe NE or Minnesota. 

A phrase used on probably 25 other message boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, titanruss said:

My only gripe is the davis pick. I thought there was other better and more versatile IOL players... but OL is one of those things the average fan really isnt a great judge on. That said, he looks like a meaner Warmack to me. Falls over a bunch, can get bullrushed, didnt seem to rank well in run blocking... but plays hard and to the whistle. 

 

I'd like to see PFF's rankings of him when he played Guard and not just Tackle. 

 

Everyone else was just a damn good pick and player. Excited we picked up Roberson and the RB in UDFA. Wish we could have gotten one of the two UDFA WRs but since they were able to choose their destinations, I bet they saw a full receiver room here and an easier path in other places. 

 

 

You have to remember how different tackle is to guard. Strength matters in both places but fluid strength matters a lot more outside because it’s so easy to become unbalanced when no one is outside of you and you’re on an island. A guy who is a tackle in college with balance issues makes a nice transition to guard in the NFL if the baseline skill set is there. I haven’t seen enough to make a judgement, but that’s obviously the thought process. 

 

To go a step further, we picked a guy who obviously will not be our RT at any point. Robinson believes in Conklin. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, titanruss said:

My only gripe is the davis pick. I thought there was other better and more versatile IOL players... but OL is one of those things the average fan really isnt a great judge on. That said, he looks like a meaner Warmack to me. Falls over a bunch, can get bullrushed, didnt seem to rank well in run blocking... but plays hard and to the whistle. 

 

I'd like to see PFF's rankings of him when he played Guard and not just Tackle. 

 

Everyone else was just a damn good pick and player. Excited we picked up Roberson and the RB in UDFA. Wish we could have gotten one of the two UDFA WRs but since they were able to choose their destinations, I bet they saw a full receiver room here and an easier path in other places. 

 

 

Agreed,wasn’t thrilled with the pick at first and honestly assumed they were moving up for Ferguson or McGovern.I wonder why they preferred Davis to McGovern.I know he had a high grade etc but I guess they just liked Davis more.Why I respect Jrob he evaluates a player and sticks with it.Me personally prob took Ferguson just cause of edge being lite but I’m happy either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
3 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You have to remember how different tackle is to guard. Strength matters in both places but fluid strength matters a lot more outside because it’s so easy to become unbalanced when no one is outside of you and you’re on an island. A guy who is a tackle in college with balance issues makes a nice transition to guard in the NFL if the baseline skill set is there. I haven’t seen enough to make a judgement, but that’s obviously the thought process. 

 

To go a step further, we picked a guy who obviously will not be our RT at any point. Robinson believes in Conklin. 

This seems to be the case. It's looking like the doubt surrounding Conklin was perhaps much ado about nothing. I'll be curious to see if they exercise his option before the May 2nd deadline. 

 

Maybe they decline the option, figuring they can get a good comp pick for him if he departs via FA. And then if he plays well enough to earn the 11M, may as well either franchise tag him or sign him to a long term extension?

 

Or maybe they just pick up the option this week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, titanruss said:

My only gripe is the davis pick. I thought there was other better and more versatile IOL players...

 

 

Nate Davis is a very good player. he is tough, quick and versatile.

If he wasn't in your wishlist..that's no reason to desqualify him....

Edited by TitanicoNFLriotFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   
10 minutes ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

Nate Davis is a very good player. he is tough, quick and versatile.

If he wasn't in your wishlist..that's no reason to desqualify him....

I like him.  I just think Simmons, Brown, and Hooker have a very low probability of being duds, and it's unlikely 4/6 of your draft picks become starters.  So he seems to be the one primed to disappoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

Nate Davis is a very good player. he is tough, quick and versatile.

If he wasn't in your wishlist..that's no reason to desqualify him....

i'm not disqualifying. just giving an opinion as thats kinda the point of a message board. i also basically said i dont know much about what qualifies as being a good player there other than reading statlines.  i dont pretend to assume to know more than Jrob

 

 i see that hes tough and versatile. havent seen the quick but havent seen anything telling me he's not quick. ive seen him get beat on bullrushes alot and i've seen him manhandle DBs and LBs.. so that leads me to believe he'll be solid at pulling.. which is good.. but not great at straight up blocking.. which is bad. 

 

and when the biggest protection issue was pressure straight up the right side in the a and b gaps... then it doesnt get me too excited. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...