Jonboy

2019 NFL Draft Wrap-up Thread

Draft Thoughts  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on the Titans 2019 Draft?

• Love it, home-run from JRob
    • Solid
    • Meh
    • Terrible

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/01/2019 at 09:00 PM

6 hours ago, tgo said:

Reading through Beddingfield's detailed breakdown of the picks. It's laughable - he has no idea how the Titans are going to use these players. 

He says AJ Brown can't play outside on the formation and is an inside player only. 

He also calls Nate Davis a right tackle and says he isn't ready to start in year 1. 

He says Amani Hooker lacks man coverage skills when his best trait in college was covering tight ends man to man. 

I just thought it was kind of dumb that Beddingfield says he can't play single high or man coverage lol. So what can he do, Blake? Play linebacker?

"Not a true single high safety or player that will be successful coming off the hash making plays on balls in the air. Missed too many tackles in space. Lacks the tracking ability with the ball downfield or behind him. Tough and instinctive but not a coverage player. Should be a solid special teams player."

^^^He is kind of right about this though. But Robinson specifically said "he can play off the hash," so the Titans think it's something he can at least do, but maybe not proficiently, which makes him not an ideal free safety imo

Oh and apparently DeAndre Walker won't be good at covering the "slot"! Lol. 

Oh and Beddingfield says he would have taken Montez Sweat instead of Simmons, and also mentions Noah Fant as a player that would have been able to help this year over Simmons. So let's document this for future reference. 

" I am sure Erik McCoy, the center from Texas A&M was going to be the selection but he was taken by the Saints three choices before the Titans’ selection. The Saints knew the Titans’ need and traded up to that spot to secure the center." - I do think he is right about this though and thought the same thing at the time. 

"The Titans has a reason to take a third- or fourth-safety but that seemed like a stretch at the time when they had so many more needs and other players on the board like NT Renell Wren of Arizona St, NT Greg Gaines of Washington, both players that would have started on the 2019 defense."

There is no way a raw player like Wren would have "started" in 2019. Don't know as much about Gaines. 

He also goes on to discuss a few players that had "starting potential" that they could have taken over David Long in the 6th round. And this brings me to something I was thinking about over the weekend. Under the Webster/Beddingfield regime, the Titans would often take chances on traits with late round picks which almost NEVER worked out and almost always got cut shortly thereafter and flamed out of the league. Whereas Robinson seems often (with the below exceptions) to take ST guys who are good depth players and stick around for awhile and contribute in the later rounds, but who don't have any elite traits. 

I think he learned from wasting draft picks on Brad Seaton, Khalfani Muhammed, and Josh Carraway. 

Anyway, here's the article: 

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/scout-s-take-reviewing-titans-picks-and-who-they-passed-on

The last part is an interesting observation, and I’ll take it a step further: he’s picking players who are proficient at ST’s so that they earn a roster spot, which then allows them to develop as an impact or decent player who can rotate or become a starter down the line that won’t command a big contract. That’s exactly how you  draft late rounders. If they can’t be a beast on ST’s they’re getting cut. If they can hang on though they may be coached up to be a starter or at least rotational player. That’s how I see a guy like Cruikshank, who is one of the best gunners in the game. The hope is he can be the 3rd safety by next year. 

3 hours ago, tgo said:

This is kind of how I feel. Hooker is the one pick I'm not sold on. 

He seems basically redundant on Cruikshank. Basically a smarter less violent version. 

I would like to see a true balanced safety that can play single high be the backup free safety ideally. 

Hooker isn’t redundant to Cruikshank in my opinion. Cruikshank is a raw athlete with bad hips. He can be coached up to be a 3rd safety. Hooker excels in the slot and his combine solidified his base athleticism. He is able to backup both the 3rd and fourth DB, play 3rd safety, and be the the backup SS. Cruikshank is a backup SS at best. 

tgo   
1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Hooker isn’t redundant to Cruikshank in my opinion. Cruikshank is a raw athlete with bad hips. He can be coached up to be a 3rd safety. Hooker excels in the slot and his combine solidified his base athleticism. He is able to backup both the 3rd and fourth DB, play 3rd safety, and be the the backup SS. Cruikshank is a backup SS at best. 

I dunno - Cruikshank played mostly nickel in college. They seem pretty similar to me in terms of skillset. Obviously Hooker can do more, is smarter, and is better. But Cruikshank is more violent. 

Just now, tgo said:

I dunno - Cruikshank played mostly nickel in college. They seem pretty similar to me in terms of skillset. Obviously Hooker can do more, is smarter, and is better. But Cruikshank is more violent. 

Did you ever watch any of Cruikshank’s tape? He isn’t an instinctive player. He played a lot of nickel simply because of his athleticism. Hooker on the other hand is a football player who can immediately fill in the slot, 4th spot, and SS without a ton of drop off in coverage. 

I guess my my point is after watching the two that I wouldn’t feel bad putting Hooker in Vaccaro’s spot if he went down for a bit while I would know we have to switch the whole defense to protect Cruikshank. 

tgo   
2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Did you ever watch any of Cruikshank’s tape? He isn’t an instinctive player. He played a lot of nickel simply because of his athleticism. Hooker on the other hand is a football player who can immediately fill in the slot, 4th spot, and SS without a ton of drop off in coverage. 

I guess my my point is after watching the two that I wouldn’t feel bad putting Hooker in Vaccaro’s spot if he went down for a bit while I would know we have to switch the whole defense to protect Cruikshank. 

Yeah, that point is definitely true. Cruikshank is still a ST player only unless he really takes leaps and bounds in development. 

Also, Hooker is a legitimate coverage slot defender. Our defense was thrashed in the slot once Ryan went down because Simms is a big downgrade to Butler (remember they tried that alignment with Butler moving inside), Butler is a big downgrade to Ryan, and Jackson is totally lost in the slot. Simms is strictly an outside CB. Hooker is certainly a downgrade, but he keeps Butler and Jackson outside, so at least the defense stays in tact. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

tgo   
Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

Also, Hooker is a legitimate coverage slot defender. Our defense was thrashed in the slot once Ryan went down because Simms is a big downgrade to Butler, Butler is a big downgrade to Ryan, and Jackson is totally lost in the slot. Hooker is certainly a downgrade, but he keeps Butler and Jackson outside. 

Yeah that's exactly what I said after we drafted him, that he can actually be a good backup for the nickel spot since all our corners are outside guys except Logan Ryan. 

tgo   

But again, do we have anyone that can play single high other than Byard? 

Who can replace Byard even remotely effectively if he goes down? I don't think we have that guy and I think we'd have to change coverages drastically if we lost Byard to injury.

Just now, tgo said:

Yeah that's exactly what I said after we drafted him, that he can actually be a good backup for the nickel spot since all our corners are outside guys except Logan Ryan. 

Exactly. He isn’t redundant. He becomes day one a jack of all trades where there is a drop off if he sees a lot of reps, but at least we don’t have to change around personnel or even necessarily a lot of philosophy to protect a player out of position or one who shouldn’t be out there in the first place (Lewis/Cruikshank).

tgo   
5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yeah, we are fucked if Byard goes down. Let’s never speak of it again. 

Lol.

I actually feel like the biggest weakness on the roster is backup free safety. 

But I guess that says a lot about our overall roster!

An argument could be made for H-back/blocking TE as well as a true nose tackle. But we have guys that can do those things on the roster, we're just not sure how proficiently. 

*waits for Oilerman to chime in*

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Lol.

An argument could be made for H-back/blocking TE as well as a true nose tackle. But we have guys that can do those things on the roster, we're just not sure how proficiently. 

When Earl Thomas went down ole Dreds to Impress was exposed. When Berry went down the first time the KC defense collapsed. It’s tough to replace an elite FS. I would say it’s likely easier to replace an LT by switching protection schemes than it is to replace an elite sideline to sideline FS in a cover 1/3 scheme. 

3 hours ago, tgo said:

Lol.

*waits for Oilerman to chime in*

It’s such a hard spot to be good at. Especially to be a roamer. He has to get paid. FS is the most important position in the secondary when they’re as good as Byard. He can help the other DBs so much.