Sign in to follow this  
Justafan

Priority UDFAs

3 hours ago, japan said:

Any UDFA making the team and having an impact in year one is a miracle.  Regardless if they pay him the huge sum of $40k...

It’s not a miracle when your odds are good right out of the gate...

This year's crop may not be quite so likely.

Edited by Starkiller

TWR   

I think 3 UDFA potentially can make the active roster. 

WR/Returner Anthony Ratcliff Williams 

Edge rusher Derrick Roberson

RB Alex Barnes

Hamp Cheevers and Adonis Davis are headed to PS for a developmental year as well. 

Edited by TWR

japan   
2 hours ago, tgo said:

Yeah but had 6 UDFAs on the squad:

Finch, Batson, Stinnie, Dickerson, Dawkins, Kalu. 

I mean that wasn’t my point that you could go back to other undrafted classes to pick out players. And Finch is the only one who made an impact other than Batson catching a few balls. 

Edited by japan

japan   
1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

It’s not a miracle when your odds are good right out of the gate...

This year's crop may not be quite so likely.

You seem to be missing the second part of my post: make an impact. Most of these guys are stiffs and burger flippers, some make the team and sit around for depth. A rare few actually make any impact. 

tgo   
6 minutes ago, japan said:

I mean that wasn’t my point that you could go back to other undrafted classes to pick out players. And Finch is the only one who made an impact other than Batson catching a few balls. 

Not that many players. Usually was only a couple. 

Just now, japan said:

You seem to be missing the second part of my post: make an impact. Most of these guys are stiffs and burger flippers, some make the team and sit around for depth. A rare few actually make any impact. 

Most of these guys aren’t Finch, first of all. As I said, he was paid well for a reason. Not like most UDFAs.

Further, his situation was very different than someone like Stinnie, who also won a roster spot despite being undrafted but never played on offense. OLBs are going to rotate. So it’s way less surprising when a backup like Finch gets some decent playing time. Especially when you figure in injuries they had at the position and the age of the starters. The backups play at his position.

japan   
1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

Most of these guys aren’t Finch, first of all. As I said, he was paid well for a reason. Not like most UDFAs.

Further, his situation was very different than someone like Stinnie, who also won a roster spot despite being undrafted but never played on offense. OLBs are going to rotate. So it’s way less surprising when a backup like Finch gets some decent playing time. Especially when you figure in injuries they had at the position and the age of the starters. The backups play at his position.

And Finch made an impact when he was given the chance which is rare. 

On 4/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, Alcibiades said:

34 reps? Damn! That's way stronger than the interior OL we drafted in the 3rd :)

OTOH, all that strength doesn't help you elude a tackle or pick up a blitz, which are both weaknesses for this guy. I'd be surprised if he makes the team. OTOH, that's an easy prediction to make for ANY UDFA.

As an aside, wasn't Quart'e Sapp expected to be drafted?  Any of you UT guys have an insight on this LB?

I posted earlier in this thread that Sapp looks and runs like Tarzan, but plays like Jane.

4 hours ago, TWR said:

I think 3 UDFA potentially can make the active roster. 

WR/Returner Anthony Ratcliff Williams 

Edge rusher Derrick Roberson

RB Alex Barnes

Hamp Cheevers and Adonis Davis are headed to PS for a developmental year as well. 

I think they said Hamp Cheevers was the #1 rated coverage corner of all Qualifying players last year. 

Opposing QBs would have had a better rating throwing the ball in the dirt than throwing to receivers he was covering. 7 ints against 3 TDs .. like a 45% completion% for lower yardage. 

too bad he's like 5'6" 

Edited by titanruss

Uh oh, JRob may be on to something here,...

https://www.houseofnames.com/cheever-family-crest

Cheever History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

The Cheever surname is derived from the Anglo-Norman French word "chivere" or "chevre," meaning "goat."

(emphasis mine)

Wow, too bad his first name is "Hamp" instead of "Hemp."

Justafan   

Cheever has a chance to be a sub-package DB who lines up against specific players.  He's going to be limited by his height no matter what.  You can get away with being 5'9" if you're athletic enough.  5'6" is pretty tough to overcome in the NFL when many of the WRs you're likely to face are at least 5'11".