Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

2019 NFL Draft: Titans Select S Amani Hooker Round 4, Pick #116

abc2330   
57 minutes ago, Harvey_Specter said:

He ran a 6.81 3 cone time though, which means his short area quickness is elite.

I don't understand how someone could be the best slot defender and one of the best pass defenders in the country in general if he's as slow as these reports claim that he is.  Reminds me of reports of Desmond King a couple of years ago, who is currently the #2 CB in the NFL per PFF.  They were really high on both at Iowa.  Too bad they are slow

Edited by abc2330

26 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

I don't understand how someone could be the best slot defender and one of the best pass defenders in the country in general if he's as slow as these reports claim that he is.  Reminds me of reports of Desmond King a couple of years ago, who is currently the #2 CB in the NFL per PFF.  They were really high on both at Iowa.  Too bad they are slow

You can be a great slot defender based more on quickness than on speed because most slot WRs win on quickness.

The issue with speed would largely affect his range as a safety. And no one is saying he is slow, just average speed.

Edited by Starkiller

begooode   
1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

Joe Haden's speed has been questioned a ton over the years.  Josh Norman, too, yes?

Mythos27   

It's not just a speed thing though. I've seen safeties that timed much slower but seem to absolutely fly into the box vs runs on blaze to the flat to stop swings/screens etc. I haven't seen that from Hooker yet though with the buzz around him, I'm sure it's in his film and I just haven't gotten to it yet. 

Soxcat   

The kid ran a sub 4.5 40 which is plenty fast for a S.  What is this about?  Great cone and sub 4.5 speed. 

TitanTez   
On 4/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, SoggyDawg said:

Interesting take from Derrick Mason this morning on 102.5.  He believes they signed Amani Hooker to replace Kevin Byard.  He said Byard is set to become the highest paid safety in the league and the Titans won't be able to afford it.  I hope he's wrong.  

I would not pay him close to that kind of money.

Number9   
On 5/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, abc2330 said:

Probably great anticipation skills and study of slight movements.