2019 NFL Draft: Titans Select S Amani Hooker Round 4, Pick #116

Jonboy

2 minutes ago, SoggyDawg said:

I agree, but this will test if we really are going full blown the "Patriots Way" by trading a highly productive player in lieu of paying him market value.  Obviously that wasn't the case with Lewan.

Our QB has no pocket presence, a complete 180 from Brady

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ctm said:

Maybe as leverage or an insurance policy.  I expect Byard to get a new deal this summer.

Me too he also is closer to a hybrid safety then a true free safety, he isnt very good in single high by all reports.

3 hours ago, ctm said:

Maybe as leverage or an insurance policy.  I expect Byard to get a new deal this summer.

this was what i was thinking when we drafted him too. we can use hooker to work a better deal with byard. 

hopefully byard will take a hometown discount but i'm not sure hes the type or not. 

10 hours ago, ctm said:

Leverage to what? A guy who actually earns his contract like that can go to any team that is willing to pay him... Players would be dumb as hell to offer their services at a discount, the Titans saying "yeah, well we're not scared of you leaving because we have your replacement" means absolutely nothing to someone who's shown their worth to the entire league.

Two years ago, only  two safeties in the league had a $10M+ cap hit.  Last year the number jumped to five;  this year there are seven safeties earning eight figures.

There’s no question that Byard ranks among the best safeties in the game.    

The question is whether the safety position is worth $15M a year for an elite player?  Or is the team better served using that money to solidify several other positions while replacing the elite player with a “pretty good” player at a fraction of the price?

Everyone would love to see Byard as a Titan for life...but business and financial considerations might prevent that from happening.  JRob has some very hard decisions to make in the next couple years.....some of which will be quite unpopular with the fan base.

12 hours ago, SoggyDawg said:

Interesting take from Derrick Mason this morning on 102.5.  He believes they signed Amani Hooker to replace Kevin Byard.  He said Byard is set to become the highest paid safety in the league and the Titans won't be able to afford it.  I hope he's wrong.  

He's retarded. 

I laugh at the notion that we picked a saftey who may be good in the 4th round to replace our Pro Bowl safety. I'm confident we will resign Byard, he will be the first player to be resigned as a Robinson draft pick. Im not worried about Henry, Conklin and others. They are replaceable but not Byard. 

Edited by headhunter

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I can see why people were surprised he ran 4.4. He plays very slow on tape. 

Why do you suppose that is? Hesitancy, or is this in cases where he is flat out running and just doesn't have top end speed? I seem to recall people saying (on various sites) that he might be better in the box. Maybe he has good short area quickness, which is fine. I don't think he'll ever be a good single high safety, but Byard can do that, and Hooker can be used closer to the line or in cover 2 situations, where he doesn't have to cover the WHOLE field. 

1 hour ago, Alcibiades said:

Why do you suppose that is? Hesitancy, or is this in cases where he is flat out running and just doesn't have top end speed? I seem to recall people saying (on various sites) that he might be better in the box. Maybe he has good short area quickness, which is fine. I don't think he'll ever be a good single high safety, but Byard can do that, and Hooker can be used closer to the line or in cover 2 situations, where he doesn't have to cover the WHOLE field. 

Even when he is sprinting at full speed to try to close the distance on a runner, he looks slow and  more often than not fails to get there. I also don't see the hair-trigger instincts that he needs to make up for it. He does look solid in coverage though. I haven't watched that much of him yet, only 2 games, there may be more that I haven't seen yet.

57 minutes ago, Harvey_Specter said:

He ran a 6.81 3 cone time though, which means his short area quickness is elite.

I don't understand how someone could be the best slot defender and one of the best pass defenders in the country in general if he's as slow as these reports claim that he is.  Reminds me of reports of Desmond King a couple of years ago, who is currently the #2 CB in the NFL per PFF.  They were really high on both at Iowa.  Too bad they are slow

Edited by abc2330

26 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

I don't understand how someone could be the best slot defender and one of the best pass defenders in the country in general if he's as slow as these reports claim that he is.  Reminds me of reports of Desmond King a couple of years ago, who is currently the #2 CB in the NFL per PFF.  They were really high on both at Iowa.  Too bad they are slow

You can be a great slot defender based more on quickness than on speed because most slot WRs win on quickness.

The issue with speed would largely affect his range as a safety. And no one is saying he is slow, just average speed.

Edited by Starkiller