Kyle021

2019 NFL Draft: Titans Select WR AJ Brown Round 2, Pick #51

ctm   
5 hours ago, reo said:

He's not fast. Trained hard for an average 40. Don't know his 3 cone though. Might be impressively quick but I'd guess decently quick.

Boldin is a great comparison with one exception.  IIRC, AB ran a 4.69 at the combine.  That's why he dropped a little on draft day.

Edited by ctm

Face   
7 hours ago, reo said:

He's not fast. Trained hard for an average 40. Don't know his 3 cone though. Might be impressively quick but I'd guess decently quick.

He didn’t do the agility drills, 3 cone or shuttle, but he did everything else, which is always a bit suspicious. But agility really isn’t as important for him IMO. I don’t think he’s a guy that you’re going to rely on getting quick separation as much as making contested catches & throwing off initial tackles to make plays after the catch.

But I havent watched enough film on him to really know his game. To be honest I thought we’d be looking at guys with clear outside traits.....height, jump ball ability, etc. But it’s obvious with the Humphries signing & this pick that they wanted some more options to extend drives on 3rd down.

Face   
1 hour ago, ctm said:

Boldin is a great comparison with one exception.  IIRC, AB ran a 4.69 at the combine.  That's why he dropped a little on draft day.

It’s probably the closest comparison I can think of but we might be underrating Brown’s explosiveness. A 4.49 40 & 36.5 inch vertical isn’t bad for a 229 pounder. 

Ricky   

He is an athlete. Believe was drafted for baseball as well. Looks like a beast for a WR, and did run a 4.49. Was a big time upgrade for our WR crew. With him, Davis, if Delani can come back,  plus Humphries our WR group is greatly improved. Was excited when Brown was drafted. Titan Up.

Mythos27   

Brown isn't some freak, explosive athlete but you don't need to be a freak to be great and Brown is certainly athletic enough to be a big asset. Davis isn't a freak either and he's damn good. Brown is going to make some good corners look absolutely ridiculous.   

reo   
10 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Supposedly he ran a 4.49. He's not going to take the top off a defense in the pros, but does he really need to? You and I both know that 40 times are just about useless in evaluating talent. It's good to know how well a guy can run a go route, but Juju-Smith, the guy people seem to be comparing Brown to the most, posted a marginally worse 40 time than Brown (4.54). Is there a team out there who wouldn't at least contemplate trading at least a first round pick for that guy right now? 

Plenty of guys can run fast in a straight line and not be worth a dusty damn when it comes to running routes, blocking in the run game, or actually catching the ball. I want a burner just as much as anyone, but if I can get everything else in a receiver I'll be more than happy with that. Besides, people seem to be overlooking the fact that Corey Davis is pretty fast himself. I'm wouldn't be surprised if he's a 4.3something guy.

Aka he's not physically gifted with great speed and quickness so he has to get open in other ways which is what I was saying.

reo   
7 hours ago, ctm said:

I think their speed is probably pretty similar. Did Boldin run at the combine? 

reo   
5 hours ago, Face said:

He didn’t do the agility drills, 3 cone or shuttle, but he did everything else, which is always a bit suspicious. But agility really isn’t as important for him IMO. I don’t think he’s a guy that you’re going to rely on getting quick separation as much as making contested catches & throwing off initial tackles to make plays after the catch.

But I havent watched enough film on him to really know his game. To be honest I thought we’d be looking at guys with clear outside traits.....height, jump ball ability, etc. But it’s obvious with the Humphries signing & this pick that they wanted some more options to extend drives on 3rd down.

Which is pretty much what I was saying.

21 minutes ago, reo said:

I think their speed is probably pretty similar. Did Boldin run at the combine? 

I think the AB he was referring to was Boldin. I seem to recall Boldin having a god awful time and turned out to be one of my favorite wife receivers. 

Edit - quick google search shows 4.71 official for Boldin at the combine. 

Edited by StephenIsLegend

reo   
30 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think the AB he was referring to was Boldin. I seem to recall Boldin having a god awful time and turned out to be one of my favorite wife receivers. 

Edit - quick google search shows 4.71 official for Boldin at the combine. 

No doubt Brown ran a faster time at the combine after training well for it but in terms of game speed, they might be similar with Brown getting the edge.

Play styles in the NFL should be very similar. 

Edited by reo