ESPN (so woke)

code

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who has followed me here for the past 15 years know that my politics run a little bit to the left of Che Guevera. So my aversion to social justice warriors isn't typically high. In fact, I

The networks should do the right thing and show the Robert Kraft video.

There are a couple of reasons this was used.   Plausible deniability, ESPN and the NFL can say "We told you it was bad!" That way there are out in front of it and can avoid the twitter hate

3 hours ago, BudAdams said:

I feel bad for the young man.  This clearly was not the same thing as these Domestic Violence, child abuse, or violent crime situations we have seen in the past. 

I like the pick and think he'll be a stud.

One thing is for damn sure. #1 He's going to come in here with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove and #2 he's going to give everything he's got to a Titans team that did their due diligence and went against what ESPN was selling and took him in the first round anyway. The audacity of ESPN and some of the self righteous hypocrites on this website is disgusting.  That incident was far removed from the domestic violence perpetrated by some other NFL star athletes that have gotten way more leeway. Comparing Ray Rice to this situation is borderline moronic. 

1 hour ago, pamo9 said:

Naw, not really, they didn't say much of anything while letting Browns give Hunt a second chance or when covering Tyreek Hill initailly before the audio tape came out last night.

ESPN should be ashamed of how they maligned Simmons last night. They sent creww to cover him when he was selected AND showede none of the footage or highlights. I hope he balls out......

I understand where you are coming from but this is different because it's draft night. Draft night has become prime time and one of the marquee events on the NFL calendar. They couldn't try glossing over this like they have with other incidents. When the Bengals took Joe Mixon he got a similar treatment. Now I'm not saying that what Simmons did is comparable to Mixon (Mixon was much worse) but there are a lot of people who will not draw any distinctions between the two and as a massive corporate entity that has to please many different people, I understand why they handled things the way they did. I do however wish they had at least found the time to show the kid's highlights because he is such a special talent but they were too busy rambling about the character stuff which is frustrating but like I said, I get it. 

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I understand where you are coming from but this is different because it's draft night. Draft night has become prime time and one of the marquee events on the NFL calendar. They couldn't try glossing over this like they have with other incidents. When the Bengals took Joe Mixon he got a similar treatment. Now I'm not saying that what Simmons did is comparable to Mixon (Mixon was much worse) but there are a lot of people who will not draw any distinctions between the two and as a massive corporate entity that has to please many different people, I understand why they handled things the way they did. I do however wish they had at least found the time to show the kid's highlights because he is such a special talent but they were too busy rambling about the character stuff which is frustrating but like I said, I get it. 

I know WHY they had to cover it but NFL Network was nowhere near as bad as ESPN in the way they handled it.

Jake, remind me why you associate as a Titans fan again?

No doubt that as a fan of the team we are likely going to give him a pass.

That wasn't my point.

ESPN built their coverage around him as 'DRAMA". They precast the segment to seek out social justice warriors and touch all the right feelies.

In this case, I was neither excusing nor accusing the kid. I was pointing out the inherent bias in the coverage.

Well I guess this is how ESPN is going to coverage every offender going forward? So, like, instead of showing any Hunt highlights in Cleveland, they'll cut to the video?

I'm cool if they and the NFL want to take a hard line on this, but maybe he shouldn't have been allowed in the league at all? why let him play?

I'm pretty liberal, but even I am a little outraged at failing to differentiate between spousal/gf abuse where a woman has allowed a man into her life and let her guard down and a public altercation involving family members. One is a gross betrayal of a vulnerable person's trust that is often repeated and can even turn deadly in a horrific downward cycle, the other is angry people shouting things they shouldn't and it getting out of control.

6 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

I'm pretty liberal, but even I am a little outraged at failing to differentiate between spousal/gf abuse where a woman has allowed a man into her life and let her guard down and a public altercation involving family members. One is a gross betrayal of a vulnerable person's trust that is often repeated and can even turn deadly in a horrific downward cycle, the other is angry people shouting things they shouldn't and it getting out of control.

What would you say if he jumped on one of your crack whore female relatives and started beating the shit out of her while she was on he ground?

11 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Let me start off with I think it's fine to draft him if, and this seems to be the case, he just made a horrible mistake and it's not some indication of a trend.

To me this, and others on here, seem to be borderline downplaying how bad the video is. You're not going to tell me this isn't disturbing, are you?

I didn't watch the draft so I can't say if they were fair or not. Were they saying he shouldn't be drafted?

I saw this video during the combine.  It's not like Tunsil where the video came out to sabotage him.  This is old news, a 17-18 year old faced the wrath of the sporting world and paid the price.  He hasn't had any issues since, so why bust it out like 60 Minutes during the draft.  It's just gotcha media.  But they didn't gotcha Kraft.  When the Pats picked, they didn't run a short story about a grown man owner doing something illegal.  I also don't think the viewing public even wanted to see it.

If you view this through the prism of left/right politics then you are exactly the fool who makes judgement based off a polarized perspective that you're accusing the media of being.

MOST would agree that ESPNs decision to run that story was was ill timed and unfair. That's ESPN being too sensationalist. And that's the issue. They clouded the opportunity to introduce a player who should have been a top 10 pick.

1 hour ago, titansfan said:

If you view this through the prism of left/right politics then you are exactly the fool who makes judgement based off a polarized perspective that you're accusing the media of being.

MOST would agree that ESPNs decision to run that story was was ill timed and unfair. That's ESPN being too sensationalist. And that's the issue. They clouded the opportunity to introduce a player who should have been a top 10 pick.

I think it’s more about how it could e been a positive turnaround story a

d how he’s been an ideal citizen, team captain, and done a ton of volunteer work to atone for his sin... and they make it all about the sin and only negative... pushing hate back into a situation that’s been resolved and he’s been punished 1000x over for. 

Agreed. I've been aggressively defending him on social media. Poor fella was choked up when he took that call. Barely could breathe to get the words yes maam and yes sir out. He probably didn't have the resources to attend the draft. Agents may have even shunned him after the injury. 

God knows I wouldn't want my childhood record in the public eye, especially the stuff that I didn't get caught for. And to be perfectly honest, he looked like he was slapping that woman so that the mob would take that as justice. As if to say, "Hey I fucked her up. She's done. Now get off her." He was pushing people off the entire time. AS A KID PUSHING ADULTS OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF A MOB