ESPN (so woke)

code

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who has followed me here for the past 15 years know that my politics run a little bit to the left of Che Guevera. So my aversion to social justice warriors isn't typically high. In fact, I

The networks should do the right thing and show the Robert Kraft video.

There are a couple of reasons this was used.   Plausible deniability, ESPN and the NFL can say "We told you it was bad!" That way there are out in front of it and can avoid the twitter hate

I really hope a big deal is made of this... the need to be shamed. 

kid fucked up. it was a gross fuckup but he did it and he owned it and he's had to answer for it every day for 4 years. 

he had to tell every single team about it a couple of times. 

had to talk to the media about it many times. 

he made up for it with his actions since then and they use it as a piece to exploit for gaining the support of women.. which wont fucking work btw. 

I hate how it went down and was upset at the time but i don't fault ESPN or NFLN for doing it. The Ray Rice thing changed everything. Since then, anything that even hints towards violence against women is going to get this treatment. The NFL has to do this to get ahead of the twitter mobs that will likely call them woman beaters anyways. 

8 minutes ago, ManningEnvy said:

Yeah, I can only imagine what tune you dumbass homers and the board moron would be singing right now if the Colts had drafted him.

I can tell what we will say after Simmons knocks Luck out...

47 minutes ago, code said:

They had Trey Wingo set up on his own desk to properly intone all the right words. They warned us of the 'graphic nature' of the video.

Let me start off with I think it's fine to draft him if, and this seems to be the case, he just made a horrible mistake and it's not some indication of a trend.

To me this, and others on here, seem to be borderline downplaying how bad the video is. You're not going to tell me this isn't disturbing, are you?

I didn't watch the draft so I can't say if they were fair or not. Were they saying he shouldn't be drafted?

1 hour ago, code said:

Anyone who has followed me here for the past 15 years know that my politics run a little bit to the left of Che Guevera.

So my aversion to social justice warriors isn't typically high. In fact, I often resemble one.

But last night's ESPN debacle on Jeffrey Simmons was just the most ghoulish side of liberal social justice.

For ESPN, that was their moment to inject 'drama' into the draft coverage. 

They had Trey Wingo set up on his own desk to properly intone all the right words. They warned us of the 'graphic nature' of the video.

Then they proceeded to truth/explain how all of this went down four years ago.

They forgot to show his on-field highlights. They forgot to show him taking the phone call from the Titans. They mentioned in quiet whispers his 4.0GPA as a Freshman, the support of the AD, the support of the head coach. The fact that he had been a model citizen on and off the field. They mentioned it -- knowing full well that the 'graphic video' was the only thing that people would focus on.

In short, it was made for television melodrama that falsely shapes the narrative around the kid.

I watched the video of him taking the call from Strunk, Robinson and Vrable. With his baby by his side, he literally cried throughout the 2 minute phone call. On what should be the happiest day of this kid's life, he had clearly been NFL-shamed by '11 teams who took him off the board' (Chiefs better not have been one of them).

We all get second and third and fourth chances. In the case of the most rich and powerful, the chances are infinite. In the case of this young man, the chances were limited. 

I wanted Ed Oliver. I thought Sweat made more sense given his edge rush skills. But I will now cheer more loudly for this kid when he gets on the field -- precisely because of the 'social warriors' ridiculous melodrama in the ESPN coverage.

F'em. Welcome home Jeffrey.

Reddit NFL was disgusted by the coverage as well.  I missed the ESPN coverage, but heard it was cringey and they probably should get called out for it.  NFL Network did a much better job and mentioned the incident, but quickly moved on to discuss how he has improved and talked about his skill set.  

The good news is we have a very motivated, disrespected draft pick that is an monster at his position that now has plenty of ammo to fuel the beginning of his NFL career.  

Crazy stat I saw regarding Simmons:  He walks around at 300, but only carries 14-15% body fat.  

15 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Let me start off with I think it's fine to draft him if, and this seems to be the case, he just made a horrible mistake and it's not some indication of a trend.

To me this, and others on here, seem to be borderline downplaying how bad the video is. You're not going to tell me this isn't disturbing, are you?

I didn't watch the draft so I can't say if they were fair or not. Were they saying he shouldn't be drafted?

eating popcorn GIF by Alexander IRL

The video is bad, for sure.  But the longer version at least provides a bit of context.  

The clip above doesn’t show where this woman had Simmons’ sister pinned to the ground, sitting on her chest and throwing haymakers....which is what provoked Simmons to get involved.    He yanks  the woman off his sister and puts her down, then throws a few punches before backing away.  

Apparently there was a long history of “incidents” involving this woman and Simmons’ sister and also his mother ...so there was a great deal of animosity  between them before this incident ever happened.   Simmons just let his emotions get the best of him and snapped 

1 hour ago, nine said:

Yeah...but ABC doesn't have a dog in the race, nor should they care. The Simmons situation would have absolutely zero reflection whatsoever on ABC or ESPN's image or public perception.    The NFL would be the only entity that might potentially be exposed to criticism.

The fact that both networks handled the pick in the exact same way with near-identical messages and coverage tells me the league dictated the message and the manner in which it would be delivered.

There may have been a coordinated effort, but I don't know why they would devote so much to one player, especially if he was considered such a top prospect. And I don't know why ESPN would listen to the NFL anyway. Seems they would've done it regardless. It's still right up ESPN's alley to provide that kind of progressive-minded coverage. It's just a part of their DNA now. And the NFL is so afraid of bad PR at this point that they'll do/say anything to try and not irk the lobbyists.

As for the reporters at the presser? IDK... It just feels like it's been a talking point for the media in general for a while the way they all were covering it, which is why I don't know if it was so much the NFL dictating coverage as it was the current cultural/societal climate.

Regardless of where it came from, I agree... stupid as fuck.

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

I really hope a big deal is made of this... the need to be shamed. 

kid fucked up. it was a gross fuckup but he did it and he owned it and he's had to answer for it every day for 4 years. 

he had to tell every single team about it a couple of times. 

had to talk to the media about it many times. 

he made up for it with his actions since then and they use it as a piece to exploit for gaining the support of women.. which wont fucking work btw. 

The NFL is a male-dominated sports and the only women's league football team is based around women playing in lingerie. So... no, it definitely won't fucking work.

34 minutes ago, nine said:

The video is bad, for sure.  But the longer version at least provides a bit of context.  

The clip above doesn’t show where this woman had Simmons’ sister pinned to the ground, sitting on her chest and throwing haymakers....which is what provoked Simmons to get involved.    He yanks  the woman off his sister and puts her down, then throws a few punches before backing away.  

Apparently there was a long history of “incidents” involving this woman and Simmons’ sister and also his mother ...so there was a great deal of animosity  between them before this incident ever happened.   Simmons just let his emotions get the best of him and snapped 

Not that ESPN would let any of that get in the way of sensationalizing anything.

I'd like to hope that in 10 to 20 years from now people will look back at this time in our history as people just over-correcting and overreacting like spoiled children. But by then I'll be getting too old to give a fuck either way and will probably be noticing grave sites more and more out the corner of my eye.

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I hate how it went down and was upset at the time but i don't fault ESPN or NFLN for doing it. The Ray Rice thing changed everything. Since then, anything that even hints towards violence against women is going to get this treatment. The NFL has to do this to get ahead of the twitter mobs that will likely call them woman beaters anyways. 

Naw, not really, they didn't say much of anything while letting Browns give Hunt a second chance or when covering Tyreek Hill initailly before the audio tape came out last night.

ESPN should be ashamed of how they maligned Simmons last night. They sent creww to cover him when he was selected AND showede none of the footage or highlights. I hope he balls out......