2019 NFL Draft: Titans Select DT Jeffery Simmons Round 1, Pick #19

Jonboy

5 hours ago, KingTitan8 said:

That’s literally a make or break year 

5 hours ago, Titans279 said:

This sounds like it's a make or break year for him then... ?

Yes for Mariota it is a make or break year, poorly stated by me. 

I was talking more in terms from the team perspective. On the draft coverage Jeremiah stated they needed to add weapons so they could see what they had in MM. It's not make or break in terms of making a decision on MM. The team already knows. They know how he grades in terms of playing the position. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is definitely my favorite Robinson pick he's made since being GM.    He ignored the noise, ignored the bullshit, ignored the win now pressure, and picked the best football player availa

stopped reading here

Man like I said before the draft - you take Simmons at 19 and you don't look back and don't dick around trying to trade down. This was the absolute right thing. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Yes for Mariota it is a make or break year, poorly stated by me. 

I was talking more in terms from the team perspective. On the draft coverage Jeremiah stated they needed to add weapons so they could see what they had in MM. It's not make or break in terms of making a decision on MM. The team already knows. They know how he grades in terms of playing the position. 

Yeah, the team more or less "covered" itself (this year) with the acquisition of Tannehill.  Mariota gets injured or sucks, Tannehill can step right in and direct the offense and it shouldn't be that different.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It’s not a make or break year for Mariota, if he’s hurt or struggles they’ll go to Tannehill, then they’ll get another QB next year 

That's not the sense I'm getting. They signed a WR that fits his style and then drafted one. And they walked him out as the face of the franchise to open the draft.

Its possible they could be on the fence about him but it's not seeming like it. The only thing saying otherwise is the lack of an extension which is an important point, not to dismiss it.

Edited by reo

7 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

If Mariota doesn't work they can re-sign Tannehill as a bridge QB, or trade what they need to for a 2020 rookie. Having a top defense and lots of talent on the offense would be an ideal place for a rookie QB.

Correct.  A lot of the moves don't really  have to do with Mariota, they were more or less moves to improve the roster.  The qb could be anyone and they'd still sign Saffold, cut Kline, and draft Davis.  Ditto the WR moves.  The roster needed improvement there.

19 minutes ago, reo said:

The only thing saying otherwise is the lack of an extension which is an important point, not to dismiss it.

And his mediocre production most of his Titans career

On 4/26/2019 at 7:43 AM, cenj said:

Agreed. This is my favorite 1st round pick of the JRob era. 

We've ignored the DL for way too long. This guy will wreak havoc next to Casey.

And both Landry and Evans will be waiting with open arms for anyone who dares to try sidestepping the Casey/Simmons train coming down the middle.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, oldschool said:

sacks are a terrible indicator of DT play. 

I'd be willing to bet that much of an edge rusher's sack numbers has strong DT play behind them if you go back and watch each sack and how/why it happened. Sure, there are also a number of plays where an edge guy just blows by everyone, but those are highlight reel type plays. Those aren't every other down type plays.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:29 AM, nine said:

And after last night, there are millions of fans who know little or nothing about him as a football player and probably haven't seen a single clip of him playing....but they've seen  him hitting a woman.    And in many minds, that's all he'll ever be.

Their loss.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, TitanDuckFan said:

I think Vrabel has taken that "New Sheriff in Town" thing a little too seriously.

With that 'stache he's lookin' like Wyatt Earp up there.

That's better than Robiskie giving an interview lookin' like Wyatt Derp.

10 hours ago, Denali said:

Ahem, bitches:

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php

Tennessee Titans: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State B Grade
This is a very interesting pick. If Jeffery Simmons hadn't torn his ACL, he would've been drafted in the top 10; perhaps even as high as No. 4 overall. There's also a video of Simmons hitting a woman when he was in high school, but he was defending his sister, and he has grown since. He has turned his life around, so this should not be an issue going forward. The only worry here with Simmons is that the Titans won't be able to use him in 2019, which might be a make-or-break year for Marcus Mariota. Shouldn't the Titans have gotten Mariota some help? Probably, but Simmons is such an outstanding talent that I can't grade this poorly.

Too bad your eyes probably glazed over trying to read that last sentence.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

And his mediocre production most of his Titans career

Forever with the tunnel vision... ?

Again, Simmons is my favorite pick of the Robinson era. It's mind boggling how myopic some posters are being about his injury.

Is there someone else we should have drafted instead that would have made us a Superbowl contender? Seriously, give me names. Because if this team is a Superbowl contender, we should be able to remain a playoff caliber team in Simmons absence. He'll be back for the key end of season push and playoffs.

If we aren't a Superbowl team, why the hell would you pass on a premier DT who pressures the QB (and who is exactly what we need) for another guy who, what -- might get us another win or two early before we eventually lose in the playoffs? Maybe (whoever this mystery player is)? 

I don't want to win a playoff game and dissapear for a decade into Browns-esque mediocrity. Build the best goddamn roster out there so that whoever the hell our QB is going forward, this team can compete year in and year out.

Edited by cenj

13 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Man I'm sorry but there really are some dumb guys on this board. This is the second thread in a row where I've seen real dumbassery and frankly I am depressed and don't have the heart to click on another thread. 

Quoted for truth 

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

image.png.7e07373e8dbcc34bfeb9bb499ade66a2.png

This is why I'm so excited about Simmons and why I think he'll disappoint some posters.  Right now Casey lines up in the B gap on virtually every play.  This is different from LeBeau's scheme where he played on a set side.  In the multiple fronts Dean Pees defense you'll see Casey play that 3T virtually every down.  Why?  Because he is so damn good at it.  You saw how disruptive he was early in the year last year.  That's because he was able to shoot gaps and wreak havoc.  Unfortunately, teams started shading his way which wore him down and no one else was able to take advantage of the 1 on 1s.

Daquan Jones plays on the other side.  Usually, he lines up directly over the tackle.  Everyone calls him a 5T but really he plays 5,4, and 4i depending on what the offense is doing.  The reason many fans are down on Jones is he doesn't put up numbers but here's the thing.  The Titans haven't asked him to.  The 5T has to play both the B gap and the C gap.  That DT isn't shooting gaps like Casey is with the 3T.  If they do, then it opens up the middle of the field.  Instead, they have to read and react. This guy has to be bigger and stronger than the 3T whereas the 3T needs to be more of an athlete that can chase down a QB.  Daquan Jones is big and strong but not an elite athlete.  He's a pretty decent 5T in the NFL which is why he got a contract.

Now keep in mind, I'm referring to a 4 man rush front, which the Titans have said they want to do more of.  With a 1T or NT in the middle, you can play 2 3Ts and 2 9s but then you have to have 5 guys on the LOS

Simmons is a guy who can do it all and is going to take over Daquan Jones's role.  He can 5T and with 33 tackles for loss, he will excel in that 2gap role.  But here's the real kicker.  If teams shade towards Casey, Simmons can transition to be the 3T just as well and be just as disruptive.  They can even disguise who is doing what to a certain degree.  On 3rd downs, they can both shoot gaps and cause absolute CHAOS.  Now imagine you have two guys shooting gaps who are both effective penetrators with Harold Landry and Cameron Wake rushing wide.  They will be more effective as well because there is effectively no pocket for the QB to step into.

THAT is why the Titans took Simmons at 19 even though he'll be hurt and they'll have to wait for a little for these opportunities.  In the end, Simmons has a ton of potential to be a REALLY good player in this defense.  In hindsight, it's so obvious what they were thinking and why they were in love with Simmons.  

Dexter Lawrence will be a good player but he's that 1 and doesn't help you to get to that 4 man rush.  They felt good about the pass rushers on 3rd down so most of the Edge guys weren't as important.  Christian Wilkins is a damn good player but he's a 3T and not so good as a 5T.  You would have had to rotate Daquan Jones and Wilkins by downs and it would leave you open to being exploited.   It explains why they were so high on Ed Oliver but he was already off the board.  At the end of the day, NOBODY was going to help the Titans achieve a true 4 man rush, the way Jeffrey Simmons can.  

Unfortunately, as that 5T, Simmons likely won't put up gaudy numbers which will lead to some fan disappointment but I think he'll have a HUGE impact on the defense overall.  

You are way overthinking this and your premise is flawed. The team plays in the nickel 70% of the time. Simmons isnt going to play a true 5T like Jones. Hes going to play over the tackle and shade gaps when needed. His job will be to penetrate and collapse the pocket just like Casey. If Casey is doubled it opens up one on one blocking for the edge or Simmons. The same is true if Simmons is doubled.

7 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You are way overthinking this and your premise is flawed. The team plays in the nickel 70% of the time. Simmons isnt going to play a true 5T like Jones. Hes going to play over the tackle and shade gaps when needed. His job will be to penetrate and collapse the pocket just like Casey. If Casey is doubled it opens up one on one blocking for the edge or Simmons. The same is true if Simmons is doubled.

That's fine on clear passing downs.  They're going to get gashed in the run game doing that though.  He's going to have to read and react.  He's going to have to two-gap.  Period.