Jonboy

2019 NFL Draft: Titans Select DT Jeffery Simmons Round 1, Pick #19

Supdawg   
6 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Here is Simmons vs Ole Miss (a legit SEC team). Within the first 2 minutes of the film he ragdolls a Center with brute strength, penetrates into the back field to knock down a pass, and forces a fumble recovered by his team. He consistently drives OL into the backfield causing pressures and then just watch his sack at the 5:43 ish mark.

You can't tell me we have anyone on this roster aside from Casey who can move like that on the inside. Quinnen is the only one that matches him and Tillery is the only one that is even close. For the love of God, I'm not saying everyone needs to be some amatuer scout but at least watch a little film before shitting on a guy.

That looked like textbook Casey. 

I am happy with the pick. He should be able to play this year at the end of the season. He reminds me of Haynesworth. If he's 75% of motivated fat Albert, we got a steal at 19

Tnasty   

I was initially disappointed with the pick-- mostly because I wanted Montez Sweat-- BUT everything I've read about this guy and seen on this guy since makes me think he's going to be a stud. He was the biggest difference maker on Miss. State's defense and made an impact against the run and pass. He was a leader in the locker room and someone who has gone through a tremendous amount of adversity. Go watch his draft video, does he look like a Pacman to you? He was with his whole family holding back tears telling Mikey V "I'm not going to let you down, coach." We're quickly acquiring a very young stud defensive nucleus. 

Ride or die Titans. He's the next future perennial pro-bowler until he's not. 

efus50   
7 hours ago, JbgTenn said:

Horrible pick, Jrob fked us again but everyone is buying into the media hype. Looking at game tape doesn't look like a player I would pick knowing he wont play this year.   Id take Ed Oliver over him all day and them taking him where they did knowing he isn't playing shows they had him higher.

Show me a game tape vs elite talent that he dominates that warrants where he was picked knowing he is OV this year.

Ed Oliver was not available.  You obviously don't listen to people like coach Mac who says his tape is tremendous.   Suh cox or a mini version of Donald.    Sign me up

Soxcat   

He isn't Casey but more like Fletcher Cox.  When he is straight up one on one he can push the blocker back into the backfield or slip the block.  When he is double teamed he holds up like a wall.  He played a bunch of NT when they were in a 3-4 alignment.  When he moved to DT in a four man front or strong side edge he shows explosive get off for a big strong guy.  People will be disappointed if the are looking for another Aaron Donald but if you like Fletcher Cox he is it. 

Man there really are some bad takes in here. Anyone who knows football knows this dude is a beast. You can't totally dismiss the acl but it is weird people are freaking out about that. I was really surprised to see people say an acl is a bigger issue for a dt. Is that true? I don't think it is. It seems obvious an acl injury is the most concerning for a rb and other skill position players that have to cut. Strength isn't a problem with acl and if the surgery is good the knee can actually come back stronger. It's the lateral cutting and movement that is concerning. 

Right? 

Edited by Legaltitan

nine   
32 minutes ago, FRT said:

So does he start on the PUP or on IR and you bring him up if ready?

Putting him on PUP would give them an opportunity to move him to the active roster after week 6, but no later than week 12.    I'd bet money that this is the route they'll go.

IR is a completely different ball game.  Only players who are placed on IR after week 1 are eligible to return during the season...and teams are only allowed to return two players from IR.    If they were to go this route with Simmons (which is highly unlikely), they'd have to put him on the 53-man roster for week one, then move him to IR.   This would cost burn a roster spot for one week and it would also leave only one spot available to return from IR.    

50 minutes ago, nine said:

Fans are focused almost exclusively on short-term "win now" gratification.   They expect immediate ROI, and they're upset if they don't get it.

Fortunately,  fans' memories and attention spans are just as limited as their vision;  their frustrations are quickly forgotten as soon as a pick starts paying off. 

Coaches are primarily focused on short-term results due to the week-by-week nature of the job.

GM decisions are more about a 5-year view for the organization.   They understand that building for the long term sometimes requires short-term sacrifices.

JRob didn't draft Simmons to provide a quick fix or to upgrade the roster immediately.   He sees Simmons as an elite talent and expects him to be a dominant player for at least 4-5 years.   

If we have to wait a year before seeing ROI on the pick, then so be it;  JRob clearly believes he'll be worth the wait.

JRob drafted according to his Patriot pedigree, the only thing missing is the Lombardi trophies to justify such a bold choice. I loved the fact that he drafted with a champions mentality, however the fan in me wants us to win now . I like the pick. Titanup 

nine   
14 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Man there really are some bad takes in here. Anyone who knows football knows this dude is a beast. You can't totally dismiss the acl but it is weird people are freaking out about that.

I suspect many of the negative takes are from people who didn't want Simmons or any other DL in round one;  they wanted to go in a different direction altogether.

11 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Man there really are some bad takes in here. Anyone who knows football knows this dude is a beast. You can't totally dismiss the acl but it is weird people are freaking out about that. I was really surprised to see people say an acl is a bigger issue for a dt. Is that true? I don't think it is. It seems obvious an acl injury is the most concerning for a rb and other skill position players that have to cut. Strength isn't a problem with acl and if the surgery is good the knee can actually come back stronger. It's the lateral cutting and movement that is concerning. 

Right? 

There’s only 3-4 in here having a hissy fit lol