2019 NFL Draft: Titans Select DT Jeffery Simmons Round 1, Pick #19

Jonboy

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is definitely my favorite Robinson pick he's made since being GM.    He ignored the noise, ignored the bullshit, ignored the win now pressure, and picked the best football player availa

stopped reading here

Man like I said before the draft - you take Simmons at 19 and you don't look back and don't dick around trying to trade down. This was the absolute right thing. 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, JbgTenn said:

Horrible pick, Jrob fked us again but everyone is buying into the media hype. Looking at game tape doesn't look like a player I would pick knowing he wont play this year.   Id take Ed Oliver over him all day and them taking him where they did knowing he isn't playing shows they had him higher.

Show me a game tape vs elite talent that he dominates that warrants where he was picked knowing he is OV this year.

Ed Oliver was not available.  You obviously don't listen to people like coach Mac who says his tape is tremendous.   Suh cox or a mini version of Donald.    Sign me up

Man there really are some bad takes in here. Anyone who knows football knows this dude is a beast. You can't totally dismiss the acl but it is weird people are freaking out about that. I was really surprised to see people say an acl is a bigger issue for a dt. Is that true? I don't think it is. It seems obvious an acl injury is the most concerning for a rb and other skill position players that have to cut. Strength isn't a problem with acl and if the surgery is good the knee can actually come back stronger. It's the lateral cutting and movement that is concerning. 

Right? 

Edited by Legaltitan

32 minutes ago, FRT said:

So does he start on the PUP or on IR and you bring him up if ready?

Putting him on PUP would give them an opportunity to move him to the active roster after week 6, but no later than week 12.    I'd bet money that this is the route they'll go.

IR is a completely different ball game.  Only players who are placed on IR after week 1 are eligible to return during the season...and teams are only allowed to return two players from IR.    If they were to go this route with Simmons (which is highly unlikely), they'd have to put him on the 53-man roster for week one, then move him to IR.   This would cost burn a roster spot for one week and it would also leave only one spot available to return from IR.    

50 minutes ago, nine said:

Fans are focused almost exclusively on short-term "win now" gratification.   They expect immediate ROI, and they're upset if they don't get it.

Fortunately,  fans' memories and attention spans are just as limited as their vision;  their frustrations are quickly forgotten as soon as a pick starts paying off. 

Coaches are primarily focused on short-term results due to the week-by-week nature of the job.

GM decisions are more about a 5-year view for the organization.   They understand that building for the long term sometimes requires short-term sacrifices.

JRob didn't draft Simmons to provide a quick fix or to upgrade the roster immediately.   He sees Simmons as an elite talent and expects him to be a dominant player for at least 4-5 years.   

If we have to wait a year before seeing ROI on the pick, then so be it;  JRob clearly believes he'll be worth the wait.

JRob drafted according to his Patriot pedigree, the only thing missing is the Lombardi trophies to justify such a bold choice. I loved the fact that he drafted with a champions mentality, however the fan in me wants us to win now . I like the pick. Titanup 

14 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Man there really are some bad takes in here. Anyone who knows football knows this dude is a beast. You can't totally dismiss the acl but it is weird people are freaking out about that.

I suspect many of the negative takes are from people who didn't want Simmons or any other DL in round one;  they wanted to go in a different direction altogether.

11 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Man there really are some bad takes in here. Anyone who knows football knows this dude is a beast. You can't totally dismiss the acl but it is weird people are freaking out about that. I was really surprised to see people say an acl is a bigger issue for a dt. Is that true? I don't think it is. It seems obvious an acl injury is the most concerning for a rb and other skill position players that have to cut. Strength isn't a problem with acl and if the surgery is good the knee can actually come back stronger. It's the lateral cutting and movement that is concerning. 

Right? 

There’s only 3-4 in here having a hissy fit lol

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

I love the pick. Those who have been around as long or longer than me on this board know where I stand when it comes to impact DTs. It's the second most important position on the field aside from QB.  Its rare to get good ones like Casey later in the draft. you have to go get them and take some risks like the teams did with Haynesworth. get 'em jrob

Agreed. This is my favorite 1st round pick of the JRob era. 

We've ignored the DL for way too long. This guy will wreak havoc next to Casey.

Just now, Soxcat said:

Look, you are all upset because we didn't take Fant (went the next pick).  So you sit in the middle of your living room in a diaper crying like a baby.  The problem here is we only have one pick so JRob isn't going to make all the diaper wearers happy.  We actually took a nasty ass butt licking DT.  People should be happy. 

Fant is a receiving TE anyways.  They already have two really good and two pretty good recieving TEs on the roster.  If they get another TE, it has to be a guy who can block.  Fant simply doesn't fit.  Delanie is gonna come back and play at a high level I believe anyways.  The dude barely played his first several years in the league.  He has more tread left on him than most TEs his age.  

Simmons is a beast.  It's not the guy I wanted but I'm happy with the pick.  He has enormous potential to be a blue-chip talent which is what they really needed.  

• Jonboy unpinned this topic