Should Democrats impeach Trump?

OILERMAN

At this point do they even have time to do it before the election?

Actually now that I think about it it may be a good thing to do it as close to the election as possible just to get all of the impeachable offenses out in the news so that people remember when going to vote (even though 99% of people have made up their minds).  Who knows if that 1 person in a swing state who for the first time hears that Trump wasn't actually vindicated in the Mueller report, did do these things, and decides to vote with the other candidate.

But if it's done too far before people will forget.

Edited by scine09

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I go back to Obama late in his term when he decided to let McConnell threaten him about exposing Russia interference. Al Franken rolling over and resigning.    Democrats far too often lay ba

This goes to more than just the Mueller report. We know Trump was individual 1 in the Stormy Daniels pay off and he lied.    Trump gave his kids security clearances despite them failing the

Same thread. 45 minutes later...  

27 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Actually now that I think about it it may be a good thing to do it as close to the election as possible just to get all of the impeachable offenses out in the news so that people remember when going to vote (even though 99% of people have made up their minds).  Who knows if that 1 person in a swing state who for the first time hears that Trump wasn't actually vindicated in the Mueller report, did do these things, and decides to vote with the other candidate.

They don’t have time to go through full impeachment hearings and then a trial in the Senate. But that’s not the point since they know the Senate would never convict.

As you said, if the goal is to have a public investigation that airs a lot of his dirty laundry before Election Day then impeachment hearings could start whenever. 

Edited by Starkiller

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

As you said, if the goal is to have a public investigation that airs a lot of his dirty laundry before Election Day then impeachment hearings could start whenever. 

aka,.... the Benghazi Gambit,... thx for your honesty, McCarthy and friends!

Bipartisanship? LOL

The House on Wednesday easily defeated an effort from a Texas Democrat to impeach President Donald Trump in the first vote that Congress has taken related to impeachment since Democrats took control of the chamber.

Rep. Al Green was able to force the vote under House rules, in what amounted to the most direct challenge yet to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's handling of impeachment.

The 332-95 vote showcased the stark divide among Democrats, who split over the vote to kill the impeachment measure. Ninety-five Democrats -- a little more than 40% of the Democratic caucus -- voted against tabling it, or to keep it alive. That's more Democrats who voted against tabling similar resolutions in 2017 (58) and 2018 (66). No Republicans voted to keep it alive.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/17/politics/trump-impeachment-house-vote/index.html

15 hours ago, scine09 said:

That's what I'm hoping their plan is. I also think if they can get a number of courts to rule against ignoring subpoenas, that will further demonstrate a pattern of subverting law and obstructing justice. 

They had Tom Steyer on CNN and he felt they made a mistake delay in Mueller's testimony and he may be right; his point was they're fixing to go on a long recess and any momentum they might gain off of it could easily be lost. He comes off really well when he is asked about non impeachment issues; he's seen firsthand how corporate interests stand in the way of many issues the people are clearly behind and removing that influence has to be the top priority. 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:30 AM, OILERMAN said:

I understand that, but they could still impeach him and include conspiracy against the US. Refusal to enact the sanctions, believing Putin over the US intelligence agencies and the fact his entire campaign staff was Russian assets. 

Also Barr should have been impeached too. 

I don't understand why this didn't get any traction. Refusing to respond to a legal subpoena from the House of Rep.? Barr isn't the president and has no authority to ignore judicial requests.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

“While there may be certain parts of it that are distasteful or disturbing, I don’t see the high crimes or misdemeanors,” said Representative Jeff Van Drew, who flipped a seat in southern New Jersey, discussing Mr. Mueller’s findings. “If we just let this overshadow all these other issues for a longer period of time, too long a period of time, we are really endangering the election for the Democrats.”

My only hope is they're trying to time this out so that the hearings come out closer to the election to make it a referendum on Trump's fitness; but unfortunately I'm thinking Pelosi is putting holding on to the house by not giving swing district GOP voters extra incentive to show up over doing the the right thing. They would have never waited started hearings on Nixon if they had waited for the polls to break their way.

54 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I think the Dems are likely to start impeachment but they handled this so badly. Anyone who watched that hearings or read the Mueller report knows he has to be impeached, and there are plenty of other reasons. 

Nadler botched it badly. I honestly dont think Mueller's testimony moved the needle at all. Only 13M watched it across the big 6 cable news networks. If you weren't for impeachment before the hearing you likely arent for it afterwards. Mueller looked old, out of his depth, and refused to push back even when the GOP sheep challenged his integrity. Optics wise the testimony fell flat. 

Personally I think there is enough to file impeachment on obstruction of justice alone but politically it will hurt the dems in places like Ohio and Florida. I think it's time to move on and it sickens me to say that because I'm putting politics over posterity. Trump cant get another 4 years and the election is the best way to make that happen. One thing is for sure, history will not be kind to either dem leadership or Trump and deservedly so.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Nadler botched it badly. I honestly dont think Mueller's testimony moved the needle at all. Only 13M watched it across the big 6 cable news networks. If you weren't for impeachment before the hearing you likely arent for it afterwards. Mueller looked old, out of his depth, and refused to push back even when the GOP sheep challenged his integrity. Optics wise the testimony fell flat. 

Personally I think there is enough to file impeachment on obstruction of justice alone but politically it will hurt the dems in places like Ohio and Florida. I think it's time to move on and it sickens me to say that because I'm putting politics over posterity. Trump cant get another 4 years and the election is the best way to make that happen. One thing is for sure, history will not be kind to either dem leadership or Trump and deservedly so.

McConnell is blocking all bills, The WH is blocking all subpoenas and there is nothing for Dems to “move on” to. Barr is lying and covering up everything. 

The reason it was botched is because they didn’t start with impeachment, stopping Trump is why they were elected in 2018. Pelosi is starting to fold and people are threatening primaries. 

They are are so stupid it’s embarrassing. 

“Impeach the the mother fucker”