GM Robinson Heavily Drafts D In '18 That Unit Improves,Should He Draft Mainly Offense In '19 Hoping For Similar Outcome??

MIKE75

In 2017 the Titans defense was 17th in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed.

In the 2018 NFL Draft the team picked Harold Landry,Rashaan Evans and Dane Cruikshank all defensive players and all three players helped the team a lot then you had young players like Jayon Brown and Sharif Finch helping as well. The defense got a lot stronger in that one year.

In 2018 the Titans defense was 3rd in points allowed and 8th in yards allowed.

The team was a 1 point Buffalo loss and 1 point L.A. Chargers loss from being 11-5 and division champs.

The main reason we ended up in that situation losing two games by one point is the dire position the offense was in. With a top 5 defense in points allowed and top 10 in yards allowed that is a defense that should get you not only to the postseason but far as well but we couldnt make the postseason due to the offense being poor.

In 2018 the Titans offense was 27th in points scored and 25th in yards gained. Both rankings are near the bottom of the league.

We need to put speed on offense and really make opponents respect our offense.

So our first player needs to be a WR even though i normally am against it i think we have no choice. Marquise Brown or one of the very fast,solid WR need to be picked first.

Then afterwards we need to focus on the offensive line. If we can get a good guard we would be solid at that spot.

Not saying go offense every single pick but possibly the majority to solidify that side of the ball

IF we go into 2019 and half ass make changes to the offense we will be in the same situation as last year.

There is no way in damn hell we go into next year without improving the WR spot. Same goes for the offensive line.

Harold Landry,Rashaan Evans and Dane Cruikshank were all picked in 2018 to help the Titans defense get to a level that they feel is more dominant.  It showed on film and in the rankings.

I think in '19 GM Robinson needs to do the opposite and go all in on offense.

Lets say Marquise Brown is there at 19 if he has speed and other good attributes by all means draft him we need a guy like that to help defenses respect us.

The last thing we need at WR is a big bodied receiver thats doesnt have any serious speed.

The main thing we need is weapons on offense.

The goal if i am Robinson/Vrabel is have a top 5 defense and at least a top 15 or top 10 offense.....

They got Saffold and have Conklin,Jones,Lewan so we need another guard on the OL.

Also they signed Humphries but drafting a really fast WR would help the offense immensely.

They have Henry/Lewis but i wouldnt be surprised if they drafted a RB.

So the main game plan should be to hope the defense continues to be top 10 and the offense improves.

If the offense doesnt improve there is a good chance they won't get past .500 even if the D is top 5 again.

Ranking 27th in points scored thats 5 spots from being worst in the NFL.  Thats gotta change.

20 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Which unit made it harder to win games? Offense or Defense?

The problem is that the two starting edge rushers are gone.  And they have been currently replaced with an up and down rookie and an old vet who will play a situational role.  Have to go defense with first pick then concentrate on offense.

Just now, japan said:

The problem is that the two starting edge rushers are gone.  And they have been currently replaced with an up and down rookie and an old vet who will play a situational role.  Have to go defense with first pick then concentrate on offense.

Fair enough. You make a good point about the demise of things since the off-season began. There are needs for sure, but for my money I'd weaponize the offense first.

31 minutes ago, japan said:

those two starters did next to nothing though except solid run defense. landry / finch will of course be better and evans will be used more as a rusher. I agree we need to fill a spot there currently.. but its just one spot. Theres literally 5 vets available now(including morgan) who could come in and do as well as either morgan/orakpo last season. Wake will at the worst be the same and at best be an incredibly efficient pass rusher. 

Where we will lose out is run defense.

If we dont get an edge guy we could just bring back morgan and still be reasonably ahead of where we were at the spot last season. 

Id be fine if we only brought in 1 defensive player and went offense for every other pick. 

We could still use 2OL, 2nd/3rd RB competition, Jonnu/Delanie insurance TE, 2nd/3rd WR competition, 3rd string QB to groom. ... but the focus of course is on protection and a playmaker. 

realistically on D we are just short 1 OLB and 1 DT from last season. We can fill those holes with available FA if need be. Offensively those guys are already gone in FA

6 hours ago, japan said:

This. I firmly believe we will get a DL in the first and an OLB Ximines in 2 and follow that with IOL in 3 and WR in 4 and RB in 5

we May see it a little all over the place due to depth

Or we could go 

1) Christian Wilkins - DT

2) JJ Arcega-Whiteside - WR

3) Ross Pierschbacher - RG

4) Jachai Polite - OLB

5) Dawson Knox - TE

6) Rodney Anderson - RB

We may even see us give TB a 6th this year and 6 next year for Gerald McCoy and rework his contract. 

JR was there for McCoy and he might be wanting him. 

Casey, McCoy, Johnson, Wilkins, Jones would make for a devastating DL

Davis, Humphries, Taylor, Arcega Whiteside, Sharpe, Jennings would make for an explosive WR corp 

Piersbacher steps in day 1 at RG and is a scheme fit and Polite drops due to concerns but he is gifted on the field but a little raw and with some coaching and learning from Wake and providing depth behind Wake, Landry, Finch, Correa he could give some pop to the pass rush. Especially with the DL

Dawson Knox is a solid TE Who is vastly underrated

2 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

We may even see us give TB a 6th this year and 6 next year for Gerald McCoy and rework his contract. 

JR was there for McCoy and he might be wanting him. 

Casey, McCoy, Johnson, Wilkins, Jones would make for a devastating DL

Davis, Humphries, Taylor, Arcega Whiteside, Sharpe, Jennings would make for an explosive WR corp 

Piersbacher steps in day 1 at RG and is a scheme fit and Polite drops due to concerns but he is gifted on the field but a little raw and with some coaching and learning from Wake and providing depth behind Wake, Landry, Finch, Correa he could give some pop to the pass rush. Especially with the DL

Dawson Knox is a solid TE Who is vastly underrated

Word is they will release him so people arent trying to trade for him. 

40 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

This. I firmly believe we will get a DL in the first and an OLB Ximines in 2 and follow that with IOL in 3 and WR in 4 and RB in 5

we May see it a little all over the place due to depth

Or we could go 

1) Christian Wilkins - DT

2) JJ Arcega-Whiteside - WR

3) Ross Pierschbacher - RG

4) Jachai Polite - OLB

5) Dawson Knox - TE

6) Rodney Anderson - RB

I would love if the draft worked out this way for us and I'm not the biggest Wilkins fan.

LeBeau was bad, Pees was good. 

Butler was terrible the 1st half and Evans didn't play much, Landry made a few splash plays but was not a factor consistently 

Pees was the massive difference, like I said he would be

We need to put more heat on QBs.  We need to get more knockdowns, sacks, interceptions and fumbles.  First pick, improve the pass rush.  Plus, our offense has a situation going where we can't be sure a deep threat WR will makes enough of a difference.  We already added Humphries and Saffold, but we do need another guard.  If we can't get help with the rush I could see Hockenson or if a premo OL fell to 19 that would make sense.  WR No.

Archived