Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Sony Drops Official Details on PlayStation 5

Jonboy   

For the lazy...

• Physical Media confirmed
  • Backwards compatibility with PS4 and PS VR
  • SSD with vastly improved loading times (ex. Spider-Man on PS4 Pro 15 seconds → 0.8 seconds on PS5)
  • Mark Cerny Lead System Architect.
  • 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen
  • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU
  • 3D Audio
  • Dev kits are out
  • Not releasing in 2019 (2020 seems likely)

Jonboy   
5 minutes ago, Stranger said:

SSD and BC are huge news!

I'm feeling a $500 price tag on this one. No way it can do everything they're claiming for $400. I'm even tempted to say it will be $600, but there's no way they make that mistake again.

Stranger   
14 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I'm feeling a $500 price tag on this one. No way it can do everything they're claiming for $400. I'm even tempted to say it will be $600, but there's no way they make that mistake again.

How well is the Xbox One X selling at that price? Might be an indicator of their thinking. If the PS5 is considerably more powerful than the X, then it should definitely sell at that price. 

On a side note, if it's that price, the X and Pro are going to quickly be affordable for those that don't own one yet. 

This upcoming generation will be interesting, nothing on that list necessarily impresses me but it's good that nothing disappointed me either

Somedude   

This time we will need 3 jobs to get it unlike PS3 when they said you should get 2 jobs to afford it.

All seriousness I will get it when it's $400 on sale or some trade in deal. I would trade in my PS4 for a rebate.

dsc24574oa.jpg

Stranger   

I think $500 is max, more likely $400. They'll probably sell it at a loss at 1st just to get people buying launch titles and ps4 games they might have missed out on. 

If Sony goes to high, Microsoft will definitely eat the loss just to get a head start. They could afford to do it too unlike Sony or Nintendo. 

9 Nines   

I wonder if 3D audio will be a feature if using a good home theater set-up or if it will just be a gimmick for headphones, TV speakers or other stereo speaker systems. 

Somedude   
Just now, 9 Nines said:

I wonder if 3D audio will be a feature if using a good home theater set-up or if it will just be a gimmick for headphones, TV speakers or other stereo speaker systems. 

Only guessing. Likely the headphones and works into their new VR wireless set.

9 Nines   

I just saw that the PS4 already has some 3d audio, as per game feature, for headphones.   I assume it is that. 

DTS's Neural X and Dolby's Surround does a good job of directing height sound to height and overhead speakers so I guess there is no need anyway. 

Edited by 9 Nines