Sign in to follow this  
tgo

Brent Urban Visiting Titans Today

45 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is the type of move to maximize flexibility in the draft imo

When you think about it, he's Dexter Lawrence. If our other Dline first rounders are gone except DLaw, it allows us to say no. 

I don't see a ton of upside in DLaw. I think he'll be good, but I wanna see more in a first rounder. 

tgo   
22 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

When you think about it, he's Dexter Lawrence. If our other Dline first rounders are gone except DLaw, it allows us to say no. 

I don't see a ton of upside in DLaw. I think he'll be good, but I wanna see more in a first rounder. 

Maybe you're just talking in terms of their similarities in being run stopping players first, but the two are nothing alike in terms of position and skillsets. 

Urban is a pure 5 technique and could never play nose guard consistently. Whereas Lawrence is a pure nose guard and you wouldn't want him playing 5 technique. 

37 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

SMH.  Ryan Sims, John Henderson and Wendell Bryant were DT’s chosen before Albert Haynesworth.  Haynesworth had 3.5 sacks his entire college career.  Was he a run stopper only??   If Lawrence is there at 19, take him.

Edited by Righteous

tgo   

Let me throw this out there as just a nugget to chew on. 

Let's assume that Wilkins is gone at 19 and that they want to take a DL in the 1st, just for the sake of argument.

Signing Urban gives them the flexibility to draft someone like Simmons, who would play 5 technique in base ultimately, given that he'll need to sit out more than half the season. 

Edited by tgo

abc2330   
11 minutes ago, Righteous said:

SMH.  Ryan Sims, John Henderson and Wendell Bryant were DT’s chosen before Albert Haynesworth.  Haynesworth had 3.5 sacks his entire college career.  Was he a run stopper only??   If Lawrence is there at 19, take him.

Didn't Haynesworth have exceptional measurables?  4.82 40 yard dash and 39 inch vertical?  Lawrence's are good for his size,but nothing ridiculous like that

59 minutes ago, tgo said:

Maybe you're just talking in terms of their similarities in being run stopping players first, but the two are nothing alike in terms of position and skillsets. 

Urban is a pure 5 technique and could never play nose guard consistently. Whereas Lawrence is a pure nose guard and you wouldn't want him playing 5 technique. 

I've seen plays where both of these players line up in 1T, 3T, and 5T. They're very similar players if you watch them play. Neither will ever put up big numbers on the interior. That ain't their game. Maybe pressures. 

42 minutes ago, tgo said:

Let me throw this out there as just a nugget to chew on. 

Let's assume that Wilkins is gone at 19 and that they want to take a DL in the 1st, just for the sake of argument.

Signing Urban gives them the flexibility to draft someone like Simmons, who would play 5 technique in base ultimately, given that he'll need to sit out more than half the season. 

I'd love it if we brought in Urban, drafted Simmons at 19. That (assuming JC is healthy) would solidify the line. 

40 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Didn't Haynesworth have exceptional measurables?  4.82 40 yard dash and 39 inch vertical?  Lawrence's are good for his size,but nothing ridiculous like that

Lawrence is 30 pounds heavier than Haynesworth.  Chris Jones ran a 5.03, Gerald McCoy - 5.04, DeForest Buckner - 5.05.  For his size, that was an excellent time.