Sign in to follow this  
chef

extended warranty on a CPO car: dealer's vs other aftermarket

chef   

Any thoughts out there on buying an extended warranty on a CPO vehicle? General info fine, but really looking to see if anyone has info on getting it through the dealer at time of purchase vs some external aftermarket warranty company (which I believe many dealers use anyway right?).

I had one years back on an older but very low mileage 911 Cabrio and boy was that worth it.  And for my recently acquired "post divorce midlife fun car" I did 2 more of top the of 4 already in place on an AMG C63S.  (refundable in full for last 2 if I cancel prior, or if potential future purchaser doesn't want to compensate me for it)

Now about to get  - and I say about because haven'd signed anything - a low mile '16 BMX X5 to haul the kids in (long funny story hauling 3 kids in the AMG after GL450 had flood damage and took 6 weeks to get resolved, i.e. totaled).  REALLY tried to talk myself out of it and just get a Highlander or Pilot or something, but no good used deal out here on those.  This one has about 2 years warranty in place but thinking of extending it since I am pretty sure it will see the shop and it ain't cheap I know.  

So any independent warranty companies to rec?  Or stick with dealer?  Concerned as I know in many circumstances the dealer is selling you what you can get on your own with a fat markup tacked on.

Definitely thinking about you and tales from the car lot @HigherLogic

BTW, likely happening today, maybe tomorrow.

Btowner   

The dealerships have some flexibility on the warranty, you should be able to negotiate. For my last couple of car purchases, I used the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury site below to get my dealership to match their CPO price.

Unfortunately, I just checked and they don't cover BMWs. However, if anyone is interested, I think it's a better option than an independent warranty company.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

Number9   

I just bought a Subaru 2017.  It had 5 years left on the drive train.  I added a bumper to bumper, zero deductible for one time charge $800.  After nine years with a Benz, $800 looked like nothing to me.

I wanted another Benz, but my price range put me in a 2015 GLK 350.  Bluetooth was only update, loved the feel of the ride.  The Subaru has everything on it.  It actually drives itself.  You set the cruise control and it takes over.  It kinda weaves inside the lane on bends and has a tiny twitch when it adjusts to center, but l just got it so not used to the feel.  It slows down well ahead of a vehicle in front and returns to the set speed when you change lanes.  Just drove through the mountains and it doesn't hug the road or have the acceleration of my diesel, but I never drive over 78 mph anyway.  On cruise control, it gets ginormous mpg.

Texting while driving is much safer, if a person were to do such a dangerous violation of the law.

Edited by Number9
TEXTING

Number9   
On 4/13/2019 at 1:58 PM, Btowner said:

The dealerships have some flexibility on the warranty, you should be able to negotiate. For my last couple of car purchases, I used the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury site below to get my dealership to match their CPO price.

Unfortunately, I just checked and they don't cover BMWs. However, if anyone is interested, I think it's a better option than an independent warranty company.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

To get what I got for $800, their plan would be $2200 plus $50 each use.  *I'm a negotiator.  The price I paid is half the retail Subaru charges.

I also got four big ass brand new tires.

chef   

Yeah 800 is nada.

BMW dealer basically offered this 6 year coverage "extension " for over 4 grand.  What is really was turned out to be 1 year gap coverage on cpo warranty (which is "big" stuff only not wear and tear items) and one more year. Since car had 4/50 to start. Year 5 cpo. Year 6 naked.

The amg I got. I paid 4800 (fully refundable) for 2 more years, cpo extended one more years on the 4/50, so have 6 years bumper to bumper factory.  With last two where I can always cxl and get money back.

Frankly the BMW options sucked. But...

Other used car options on this island sucked worse.  And didnt want to wait weeks on end for a mainland one.shipped out.  And didnt have time to.hang in Oahu where way better pricing/selections. 

X5 still feels floaty of course next to my old ('08) 535i, much less the 63s. Maybe even more so than the older gl450. But still way overkill for kid hauler and work truck. 

Still need to think on warranty. as I know.that f*@%#^ gonna break. 

Maybe shoulda got the GMC Acadia. But that someone ran it through a forest then pinged it with a baseball bay.  And a '14 with 70k miles, priced like excellent condition and then some

Ftr. I've still.never bought a new car.  Even the amg with only 5k miles still used and 15 off new. 

If any more.good.warranty recs, post em.

Number9   

What did you get?

I just returned from driving through the mountains.  I went on faith that it wasn't going turn over on curves at some full posted speeds.  I have to get used to driving a lighter vehicle.  A 450 drove by me at a light and made we think shoulda got the 350.  The salesmen kept saying, "you can't go back down."  I'll get used to it when repair time comes around and I'm not paying $300 for 13K service, plus whatever little something that's only another $135+.

Hertz Car Sales-Check them out if you haven't bought anything.

Edited by Number9
Hertz