Mariota Convenes the Receivers

tgo

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Returning receivers Corey Davis, Tajae Sharpe, Taywan Taylor, Darius Jennings and Cameron Batson were among those on the field with Mariota, along with tight end MyCole Pruitt. Tight ends Delanie Wal

"Marcus Mariota gathers receivers to practice limp-wristed rainbow throws and new ways to drop anything catchable...."

Your argument is really tiresome. Even 8mm and TDF aren’t comparing him to Rodgers or Wilson. The question has always been can he stay healthy and actually develop. I doubt it, but the fact you co tin

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

You are just a kid....seriously you are.

You seem to be one of those online gamer kids, who thinks showing how dumbfucked you are...it's the real deal...

Says the dipshit with a fucking California raisin with a nutsack chin for an avatar. Those films are for kids you god damn smegma smear on your fathers taint.  Or did you glue googly eyes on your purple ballsack? Lifesize picture btw.

26 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Interesting. I remember reading about the first half jitters at Oregon. Just because I read it right doesn’t mean it was. 

For all the detractors I wish they would remember the Patriots game. He simply diced them up to the point they quit (punting on 4th and 3 in the 4th quarter). The talent is obvious. I think he’s putting too much pressure on himself to be perfect. No one cares if you throw an interception. Our receivers blow. Let it be. Just stay healthy and play loose. I haven’t really seen him do that since the first few games his rookie career and that Pats game. I’d like to also include the GB game in 16. He was money and did the same thing he did to the Patriots. 

I have seen Marcus shake off whatever is bothering him by running the ball.  It may sound weird, but he seems to gain confidence once he has a successful run or two. 

I don't know if it's his psyche, or if it changes the way the defense plays him, and he uses that against them.

If his body held up better I'd love to see him run more. He's aggressive and fierce. I also love his attitude when he puts up big blocks for Henry. I also hate when he runs and blocks for Henry. Every time I feel this is it. This is where he gets knocked out of the game/season. 

6 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I have seen Marcus shake off whatever is bothering him by running the ball.  It may sound weird, but he seems to gain confidence once he has a successful run or two. 

I don't know if it's his psyche, or if it changes the way the defense plays him, and he uses that against them.

He simply can’t have that mentality in the NFL. Whisenhunt was the only coach who didn’t feed it but he was running five man routes with Poutasi 1-1 versus Watt. 

Why do you think even though his completion percentage has went up that his red zone percentage went from one of the tops in the league to the bottoM? 

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Why do you think even though his completion percentage has went up that his red zone percentage went from one of the tops in the league to the bottoM? 

I think that was a function of Mularkey and Robiskie's scheme and route combinations being figured out.

I don't believe he lost his timing or his accuracy.

As far as last season, it may have been any number of things between his injuries and the young receivers.  But I don't think it will persist.

I guess we'll find out.

If it does, he'll be gone.

Oh well.

Just now, TitanDuckFan said:

I think that was a function of Mularkey and Robiskie's scheme and route combinations being figured out.

I don't believe he lost his timing or his accuracy.

As far as last season, it may have been any number of things between his injuries and the young receivers.  But I don't think it will persist.

I guess we'll find out.

If it does, he'll be gone.

Oh well.

I think it was more Murray falling off a cliff than it was Mularkey, though since he kept starting him it also falls on him. 

It’s been interesting watching him compared to guys like Kaepernick and Taylor. His style is dissimilar, but at this point it makes sense in a weird way. 

Ive said for over a year now the guy simply has to learn how to shutoff that first instinct to run when things break down. He has to learn to roll calmly, because he can throw on the move when he isn’t running full speed. No one can throw accurately when they’re running like that, especially not with his speed. Running is for 3rd downs only. 

I think it was 2017 versus the Colts where he thought Delanie was going to keep moving with him and didn’t and he put it right into the defenders hands. His instinct wasn’t necessarily wrong that Delanie was going to stick with him, but the process was wrong. That’s the beauty of rolling out calmly. The receiver can read you and make his move from there instead of thinking you’re going to run. The chemistry simply isn’t there. Mariota gets one last shot, and I hope he figures it out. Our coaching staff has let him down quite a bit, but it’s now or never time. 

8 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I think it was more Murray falling off a cliff than it was Mularkey, though since he kept starting him it also falls on him. 

It’s been interesting watching him compared to guys like Kaepernick and Taylor. His style is dissimilar, but at this point it makes sense in a weird way. 

Ive said for over a year now the guy simply has to learn how to shutoff that first instinct to run when things break down. He has to learn to roll calmly, because he can throw on the move when he isn’t running full speed. No one can throw accurately when they’re running like that, especially not with his speed. Running is for 3rd downs only. 

I know how he acquired that issue, because it was something he never had a problem with before his 2nd year in the Mularkey/Robiskie offense.

I don't care what the popular narrative is around here, it didn't exist before Mularkey instilled it in him.

It was part of the warnings the long time Mularkey detractors warned us about, and people here pooh-poo.

But it's real, and Mularkey is/was the problem. 

Just like Robiskie would panic when Marcus would roll out to his right and throw back into the middle of the field.  He never threw an interception that way. But Robiskie insisted on breaking him from doing it.  So, he started running instead. 

But Robiskie talked about it in more than one interview.  So, he and Mularkey got what they wanted.

8 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I know how he acquired that issue, because it was something he never had a problem with before his 2nd year in the Mularkey/Robiskie offense.

I don't care what the popular narrative is around here, it didn't exist before Mularkey instilled it in him.

It was part of the warnings the long time Mularkey detractors warned us about, and people here pooh-poo.

But it's real, and Mularkey is/was the problem. 

Just like Robiskie would panic when Marcus would roll out to his right and throw back into the middle of the field.  He never threw an interception that way. But Robiskie insisted on breaking him from doing it.  So, he started running instead. 

But Robiskie talked about it in more than one interview.  So, he and Mularkey got what they wanted.

I remember watching Oregon highlights and wondering what the hell happened to the guy. He was calm against good defenses on the rollout and let his receivers make plays. For the past 3 years he’s been a gazelle throwing at top speed.

Unless they’re paying him because he can’t pass a physical then they believe in him. If they believe in him then this is the number one thing they have to institute for him to succeed. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

Also, all of the Mularkey backers who constantly talk about how the QB is so important need to think about the scenario where our head coach outright said he thought Mariota reminded him of Kordell Stewart. 

It’s the mindset that is bothersome. Mularkey was given a mandate to protect Mariota. His solution was to run a ton of max protection and tell him to run any time the pocket broke down. 

It’s on Mariota now, so he better get his ass in gear. He doesn’t need to watch tape ofSteve Young and Wilson. He needs to be watching Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

The biggest problem at this point is he got behind with Mularkey, and there's been too much on his plate trying to catch up.

Like last year,...

"Fix" the mechanics of his long ball.  Open his stance.

Restore and expand his pocket presence.

Learn a new timing based system.

Learn new route combinations and how to operate the way LaFleur wanted his progressions.

Learn another new verbiage system.

Finish getting acclimated to the young receivers.  Start over with Jennings, Batson, Pruitt, Firkser and a couple more whose names escape me ATM.

And do it all without both of his go-to guys for the last 2-3 years.

And an absentee running game, and a turnstile of a Rt Guard.

And then do all that with multiple injuries as the year wore on. 

Anyone who doesn't want to give Marcus at least partial credit for the Titans finishing at 9-7 instead of 7-9 or 8-8 like Orlovsky predicted, is an idiot.

He’s run out of excuses now. He’s getting paid 21 million dollars this year. That is more than 98/99% percent of people make in a lifetime, which isn’t including his other 20 or so million. He has to be smarter, and he has to stay healthy and produce.

I think it was the stretch of GB, KC, and Denver games in 16 when I knew the guy had the capability to win the SB. He crushed GB and then won two defensive battles with clutch game winning drives. The guy is a monster in my book, capable of becoming great.

He hasn’t developed his pocket presence in a manner that allows him to properly take sacks. He’s a second too late and his body is built more like Manning than it is Wilson. Just drop and take the sack. He keeps getting caught in the middle, which leads to injuries. Fall down for fuck’s sake.

A part of his game that is very underdeveloped is hot routes, as evidenced by the Baltimore game. Mularkey’s offense seemingly didn’t use much of those so it was pretty brand new to him. And you could see with Baltimore. He was getting murdered and simply refused to throw a ball that could be a pick 6. Some QBs become gun shy (David and Derrick Carr come to mind) when they can run. Others fold.  Some become gunslingers who throw 4 or 5 ints. Marcus is strange in that area. He just keeps taking the beating and even if he gets gunshy he doesn’t hesitate to release when he sees it. Sometimes you just have to throw the ball, and too often he’s been unwilling to do so. I’ve said for 3 years I would love to see an old school Eli Manning stat line with a lot of TDs and a lot of interceptions. Let it go and let ‘er rip.

He’s been told his whole career he’s more like Wilson than Brady. He’s a Kaepernick who has to run to be successful. But the opposite is true. Really his style at its peak is like Rodgers without the incredible arm. He’s so damn quick twitch, but he isn’t exactly agile. He has the fastest release in the NFL, but he only uses it when the play is perfect. 

Whisenhunt had the right idea but was using a guy like Poutasi 1-1 versus Watt. Mularkey drilled it into his mind that if the play breaks down use your legs. That’s the opposite of how you teach a guy like Mariota. Teach him how to move from the pressure. It’s a wide field after all. Then teach him how to manipulate the pocket. He not only has shown the skill set for the latter but he’s been brilliant at times (Dallas last year where he just kept hitting every third and long. Broke their defense’s back by the end of it. He carved them up on a ton of 3rd and +8). Through 3 staffs they never taught him how to smoothly roll away from pressure. You can’t be a gazelle in the NFL as a QB. Teach him how to roll and the pocket presence will come.

I don’t have faith anymore, but I believe in his talent. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

The fact defenses have had time to adjust to Mariota is undersold. Coaches were openly talking about  getting Mariota off his 1st read and he struggles. That’s what’s happened the last few years

6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The fact defenses have had time to adjust to Mariota is undersold. Coaches were openly talking about  getting Mariota off his 1st read and he struggles. That’s what’s happened the last few years

Partially. Remember that TD to DGB against Cleveland? That was his fourth read. He’s not good when the pocket collapses. He always runs, or if he doesn’t run he runs full speed towards the sideline and throws an interception.