Sign in to follow this  
tgo

Mariota Convenes the Receivers

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

Well it's because people like you are throwing out stuff like, "The question has always been can he stay healthy and actually develop."

Bullshit. He's not staying healthy because HES NOT DEVELOPING. It's not that he's not developing because he can't stay healthy.

The issues that get him hurt are the issues that he struggled with coming in to the league.

You're still making excuses. This is ALL about his lack of development. You all just can't admit it. It's frustrating on my end too.

Wow. So you’re under the impression that Mariota - if he never develops - was just doomed from the beginning because that’s just who he is? If he can’t be on the field, he can’t develop. That’s the case for ANY young QB. And, yes - I know he is in his fifth year. He has had issues with health for a while now. 

I just think you have some backward ass thinking sometimes and it’s comical you like to act high and mighty with posters who don’t share your ridiculous-at-times views. 

big2033   
2 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Wow. So you’re under the impression that Mariota - if he never develops - was just doomed from the beginning because that’s just who he is? If he can’t be on the field, he can’t develop. That’s the case for ANY young QB. And, yes - I know he is in his fifth year. He has had issues with health for a while now. 

I just think you have some backward ass thinking sometimes and it’s comical you like to act high and mighty with posters who don’t share your ridiculous-at-times views. 

Of course I would think he was doomed if that happened. Just like Jamarcus was doomed and other players that didn't pan out. Not to say that Mariota is anywhere near as bad as Jamarcus.

But not every QB is meant to be great, "if coached right." What dream world are you living in?

Some are meant to be average despite their draft pedigree.

I don't know why you think coaches are supposed to make magic happen ... in the end its on the players. Athletes are not some blank canvas to be painted by a coaching staff.

That's why some players flop and some players exceed their draft position.

Nobody can name QBs that "should've been stars" because in the end, it's on them. I was never on board with the talk the Texans ruined David Carr. He ruined himself.

Edited by big2033

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

Of course I would think he was doomed if that happened. Just like Jamarcus was doomed and other players that didn't pan out. Not to say that Mariota is anywhere near as bad as Jamarcus.

But not every QB is meant to be great, "if coached right." What dream world are you living in?

Some are meant to be average despite their draft pedigree.

I don't know why you think coaches are supposed to make magic happen ... in the end its on the players. Athletes are not some blank canvas to be painted by a coaching staff.

That's why some players flop and some players exceed their draft position.

Nobody can name QBs that "should've been stars" because in the end, it's on them. I was never on board with the talk the Texans ruined David Carr. He ruined himself.

It just boggles my mind that you think coaching matters so little. And especially in the most important position in football. 

David Carr wasn’t helped to succeed. Despite what I think of Mariota, he has had the cards stacked against him. As have many QBs. 

Let me ask you this: would Randy Moss have found the same success had he been drafted to the Titans? 

Soxcat   

David Carr sucked which is why he didn't work out.  Coaching certainly helps but not seeing the field or feeling the pocket are traits that can't be coached out of the kid.  Coaching isn't going to keep him healthy (unless they bench him).  And absolutely Moss would have been successful if he was on the Titans.  You could argue he wouldn't put up the same stats but McNair would have hit him all day with big passes and we probably win a SB. 

32 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

David Carr sucked which is why he didn't work out.  Coaching certainly helps but not seeing the field or feeling the pocket are traits that can't be coached out of the kid.  Coaching isn't going to keep him healthy (unless they bench him).  And absolutely Moss would have been successful if he was on the Titans.  You could argue he wouldn't put up the same stats but McNair would have hit him all day with big passes and we probably win a SB. 

I dunno man ... we had just drafted Joey Kent and I’m pretty sure fisher would’ve said they can’t be on the field at the same time. ..

big2033   
30 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

It just boggles my mind that you think coaching matters so little. And especially in the most important position in football. 

David Carr wasn’t helped to succeed. Despite what I think of Mariota, he has had the cards stacked against him. As have many QBs. 

Let me ask you this: would Randy Moss have found the same success had he been drafted to the Titans? 

Head coaches don't become head coaches being completely clueless on how to coach a player. Yes, some are better than others, but it's rare for one to be so bad that a QB's success and failure rests on them.

These are pros, coaching pros. So to rest a QB's ultimate survival in the NFL on them is ... in my opinion ... foolish. There isn't an NFL coach bad enough to "ruin" a QB.

Number9   
7 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

This is not really true..... Your depiction of Mariota has developed into this fairly recently. 

The idea you doubt he's going to be a good QB and no compared him to the best QBs in the league is a new thing. He was praised as a franchise QB until this past season. People mistakenly believed 2017 was some fluke because of the system or coaches and many other excuses. 

As the sample size gets bigger and new schemes didn't improve him it's clearer to everyone who isn't a full blown homer he's got major flaws and limitations. That's not what you and most others thought before this past season.  

You basically described me, except I saw something was wrong right away last year.  All the BS about a new system had nothing to do with missed and poorly timed throws.  The problems he was having from the start were his performance, not systematic.

5 hours ago, titanruss said:

Lol... yeah... it’s ALLLLLLLLL on Mariota. Every sack and dropped catch and offensive scheme change and horrible surrounding cast member...and players quitting... and every single injury... ALLLLLL on Marcus. 

Way to double down down on the dumbassery

Didn't take you long to step on your dick. We have to constantly change players, schemes and coaches because Mariota is a project. Now Vrabel has figured out, like Mularkey, that the best idea is for Mariota to hand off to a back. While he had a few drops, he also had receivers make some incredible catches, so save that. He has no quickness to escape sacks, and more often than not runs right into them, or won't pull the trigger to avoid one. How many more years of this before you concede he is what he is and isn't changing.

OILERMAN   
33 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You basically described me, except I saw something was wrong right away last year.  All the BS about a new system had nothing to do with missed and poorly timed throws.  The problems he was having from the start were his performance, not systematic.

He’s a poor passer, period 

OILERMAN   
37 minutes ago, Huston said:

That must be Wentz's problem too.

He tore his acl running but I look forward to seeing how his career goes

Get ready 

8MM   
23 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

He’s a poor passer, period 

But yet you're in favor of him still being the starter here...this year, as you have stated many times. 

Do you always talk both sides of your mouth?  Say something that make sense and be consistent with it.