Mariota Convenes the Receivers

tgo

3 hours ago, Nash said:

Do I remember this correctly?  Mariota met with Warren Moon who gave him some advice( like George did with Henry) .. His advice was to put on some weight. .. although Mariota is now getting to the age where weight probably increases anyway

I remember Moon suggesting he add weight, don't remember the particulars

The idea he needed to lose weight to be more explosive or faster was stupid, That has absolutely nothing to do with being a quality passing QB. 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Returning receivers Corey Davis, Tajae Sharpe, Taywan Taylor, Darius Jennings and Cameron Batson were among those on the field with Mariota, along with tight end MyCole Pruitt. Tight ends Delanie Wal

"Marcus Mariota gathers receivers to practice limp-wristed rainbow throws and new ways to drop anything catchable...."

Your argument is really tiresome. Even 8mm and TDF aren’t comparing him to Rodgers or Wilson. The question has always been can he stay healthy and actually develop. I doubt it, but the fact you co tin

Posted Images

His body fat % isn't going to have a real impact on staying healthy

He's got to be forced into avoiding contact, no more trying to tackle defenders who have the ball, get out of bounds and get down. Get the ball out, if it isn't open throw it away. You can learn how to fall and avoid taking all the force at pressure points(Brady does this) and getting more flexible helps. 

I'm sure he's been told all this stuff though, it's year 5 and this is all basic stuff 

The simple fact is a tall lanky skinny guy is going to get hurt more than a shorter compact guy(Wilson)

28 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

His body fat % isn't going to have a real impact on staying healthy

He's got to be forced into avoiding contact, no more trying to tackle defenders who have the ball, get out of bounds and get down. Get the ball out, if it isn't open throw it away. You can learn how to fall and avoid taking all the force at pressure points(Brady does this) and getting more flexible helps. 

I'm sure he's been told all this stuff though, it's year 5 and this is all basic stuff 

The simple fact is a tall lanky skinny guy is going to get hurt more than a shorter compact guy(Wilson)

Except he wasn’t told all of this stuff. He was told by Mularkey that if it wasn’t there to run. They never tried to teach him how to roll out. 

14 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Except he wasn’t told all of this stuff. He was told by Mularkey that if it wasn’t there to run. They never tried to teach him how to roll out. 

He did this in college.  It's just a habit of his.

38 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

This is speculation what he was told in terms of avoiding injury. 

Secondly some of the hits he took and the fact he was trying to tackle defenders in a preseason game go beyond coaching and into the area of basic common sense. I believe mild mannered jonboy started a thread on how God damn stupid it was. 

At some point a grown man being paid millions has a responsibility himself for some of this stuff. It doesn't get talked about enough but the coaches actually complained he wouldn't tell them what plays he liked. 

It's my responsibility to teach Marcus where to go with the ball, We have to get Marcus to get the ball out quicker etc......

Getting a 4.0 GPA in college doesn't automatically translate into football smarts, Marcus comes off as a football dummy

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is speculation what he was told in terms of avoiding injury. 

Secondly some of the hits he took and the fact he was trying to tackle defenders in a preseason game go beyond coaching and into the area of basic common sense. I believe mild mannered jonboy started a thread on how God damn stupid it was. 

At some point a grown man being paid millions has a responsibility himself for some of this stuff. It doesn't get talked about enough but the coaches actually complained he wouldn't tell them what plays he liked. 

It's my responsibility to teach Marcus where to go with the ball, We have to get Marcus to get the ball out quicker etc......

Getting a 4.0 GPA in college doesn't automatically translate into football smarts, Marcus comes off as a football dummy

I have to agree here.  With his propensity to get injured, the risks he takes are not very smart.  It's very Jake Lockerish of him in fact.  Mariota HAS to be smarter about getting rid of the ball, getting out of bounds, sliding, and protecting himself in the pocket.  You're no good to anyone if you can't play and play at a high level because you're always dinged up.  

47 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is speculation 

It’s obvious and is backed up by Mularkey’s own statements. It isn’t as if they weren’t teaching him to cycle through reads. They just never taught him how to extend the play. As soon as things broke down he was told to go. Look at his 96 yard TD run. That wasn’t him going into panic mode. That was him executing the offense as it was taught (read, read, pocket breakdown and go). 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It’s obvious and is backed up by Mularkey’s own statements. It isn’t as if the weren’t teaching him to cycle through reads. They just never taugh him how to extend the play. As soon as things broke down he was told to go. Look at his 96 yard TD run. That wasn’t him going into panic mode. That was him executing the offense as it was taught (read, read, pocket breakdown and go). 

I'm talking strictly about about staying healthy not playing the position

16 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm talking strictly about about staying healthy not playing the position

It all runs together. Him being heavier will hopefully impact his thinking. When the play breaks down the first answer is not to run; it’s to move outside. 

It really is interesting how Mariota could be an absolute maverick in the pocket on one play and then appear to be completely unaware on another play, all in the same series.  Of all the Mariota topics we've beat to death, that's one that probably hasn't received enough attention.

I'm glad that he said he was going to bulk up but I hope that's not an actual picture of him just being fat.  Fat doesn't help you as an athlete.  More muscle absolutely could.  High body fat makes you more prone to injury not less.  

I honestly don't think his weight matters either way. He takes hits because he has bad pocket awareness. He doesn't manipulate the pocket and is not great at scrambling to pass. He usually scrambles to run.

This won't save him either way IMO.

Edited by big2033