Mistakes Teams Make Yearly In The NFL Draft

MIKE75

(This will be broken down into smaller posts for those who have short attention spans or cant read longer material)

I will never forget the 2011 NFL Draft. It was the first time i realized just how little some of these GM's know and how many of them literally go by how these players are projected like its the gospel. For instance in 2011 regarding the QB's it was unanimous that Cam Newton was projected best and that was correct however afterward is where i disagreed before the draft and was proven right afterward.

For the first two rounds in order of where they were drafted.... Jake Locker,Blaine Gabbert,Christian Ponder,Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick.  

Before the draft i personally from the eye test liked Dalton and Kaepernick. A lot of times the small school guys are getting ranked below the bigger school guys is BS. Myself and many others knew from looking at Locker's bio and tape he had accuracy issues and injury concerns but i kept telling myself that our GM will surely see this and not reach for Locker or Gabbert based on projected ranking.

continued on next few posts.....

In the end i was upset that we drafted Locker and clearly thought Kaepernick was a way better dual threat QB it was clearly visisble by how much better his tape and stats were not to mention record but we chose a guy(Locker) who one year completed 47 percent of his passes and was 0-11. Locker was projected higher because he was from the bigger school.

But instead of some of these GM's going hold on a minute how is guy like Locker who barely completed 50% or half his passes,injury concerns not to mention never going to anything but a minor bowl game and having an overall losing record end up being projected to the top of the draft? 

Instead of doing that they were led like lemmings mindlessly without a care or clue.

Cincy looked like the smartest team then and now. They picked WR AJ Green in the first round and QB Andy Dalton in the second round and went to the playoffs that season and five of the next six years meanwhile Tennessee endured four straight losing seasons.

Fast foward 8 years later and we still have teams doing this every year. Instead of going with the eye test and bio these GM's see where these guys are projected and just draft accordingly. Guys like 6th round WR Antonio Brown and 5th rounder Stefan Diggs fall just because they are from smaller schools a lot of times. I think it was how Kevin Byard lasted until round 3 while he was a good talented safety he was from a small school and fell and we benefited.

Back in 2014 we needed a RB and we picked the first one off the board in the second round Bishop Sankey the guy was simply average but he was a big school guy. Just a couple picks later Jeremy Hill and Carlos Hyde were scooped up. In round three Jerrick McKinnon and then in round four Davonta Freeman and James White. All the RB mentioned are still going strong while Sankey only lasted through 2015.

Our GM clearly picked Sankey because he was projected as the best and went to a bigger school. Jerrick McKinnon lasted 3 rounds because he went to Georgia Southern a small school and was overlooked. However McKinnon ended up being the best or close to it as he runs and catches passes out of the backfield.

Many times these projections are horseshit and how we ended up with Jake Locker and Bishop Sankey.

Not simply saying that all big school guys are ranked ahead of all small school guys but it does happen a lot and some good players fall while some overrated big school guys get drafted early and end up not lasting long.

For instance at Walter Football the top ranked WR's are....

1. D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss

2. Parris Campbell, Ohio State

3. Marquise Brown, Oklahoma

4. A.J. Brown, Ole Miss

5. Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

6. Riley Ridley, Georgia

7. N'Keal Harry, Arizona State

8. Hakeem Butler, Iowa State

9. Kelvin Harmon, N.C. State

10. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford

11. Miles Boykin, Notre Dame

12. Andy Isabella, Massachusetts

Notice the small school guy Isabella is ranked 12th. Also Arcega-Whiteside looks really good. One of my favorites is Deebo Samuel i keep hearing this guy is like a fast Anquan Boldin and i think we need to really look at him along with Isabella and Whiteside. I also like Butler a lot from Iowa St.

That being said i think that in the top 5 half of those will disappoint or be busts and i hope like hell we dont pick any of them except Samuel.

Our GM would look really smart getting either Isabella,Arcega-Whiteside,Samuel or Butler in the second or third round.

Bottom line we need a talented speedy WR otherwise we are not doing the offense any favors we have plenty of average WR and what we need badly is someone who can stretch the field and open up the offense.

The top tanked defensive tackles at Walter Football.........

1. Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

2. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

3. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

4. Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State

5. Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

6. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

7. Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

8. Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami

9. Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois

10. Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse

11. Isaiah Buggs, DT, Alabama

Out of all these guys i like Ed Oliver of course. We wont have a shot at Williams. I am weary of Clemson guys especially after Dodd busted out. The main guy i like is Khalen Saunders he is another one of those guys that will last longer than he should on the board due to going to a small school and i hope we land him if he is there in the third round.

I would be cool with a draft like this.......

1st round: Best pass rusher

2nd round: Deebo Samuel/JJ Arcega-Whiteside/Andy Isabella, WR

3rd round: Khalen Saunders, DT

4th round:Ross Pierschbacher, G/C

5th round:Another Defensive tackle

6th round:Another Guard

Locker was a bad, forced pick but he wasn't drafted because he went to a big school - it was a projection that his athletic ability/potential would make him a good QB despite the obvious accuracy issues (which you generally cannot fix). 

With one year of eligibility remaining at Washington, Locker was considered to be a top prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft by many internet mock drafts, with some analysts ranking him in the top three available quarterbacks.

Schefter posted on his Twitter page that an anonymous NFL GM, in speaking with ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, told Mortensen that Locker is "a bigger, taller, right-handed version of Steve Young."

Prior to Locker's announcement declaring his intention to stay for his senior season, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay had projected Locker as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.  But there was also some disagreement in certain circles with McShay's assessment—it had been reported that Locker was advised by the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee that he would not have received a "1st round grade".

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. predicted before and after the 2010 NFL Draft that Locker would be the No. 1 overall pick in 2011.

ESPN analyst John Clayton stated in October of Locker's disappointing senior campaign that the right-hander may fall to the 2nd or 3rd round in the 2011 draft due to his inaccuracy and poor play.

Saying that, Locker didn't go 0-11 (actually they were 0-12 that year.  He broke his thumb in the 2nd quarter of the 4th game of the season.

Since when was Sankey anointed the better back between Hill and Hyde? Hill fell because he had some legal issues or something if I remember correctly. Sankey was chosen because it was thought that he was a scheme fit over Hill and Hyde.

26 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

Since when was Sankey anointed the better back between Hill and Hyde? Hill fell because he had some legal issues or something if I remember correctly. Sankey was chosen because it was thought that he was a scheme fit over Hill and Hyde.

They all sucked

15 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

For instance at Walter Football the top ranked WR's are....

1. D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss

2. Parris Campbell, Ohio State

3. Marquise Brown, Oklahoma

4. A.J. Brown, Ole Miss

5. Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

6. Riley Ridley, Georgia

7. N'Keal Harry, Arizona State

8. Hakeem Butler, Iowa State

9. Kelvin Harmon, N.C. State

10. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford

11. Miles Boykin, Notre Dame

12. Andy Isabella, Massachusetts

Notice the small school guy Isabella is ranked 12th. Also Arcega-Whiteside looks really good. One of my favorites is Deebo Samuel i keep hearing this guy is like a fast Anquan Boldin and i think we need to really look at him along with Isabella and Whiteside. I also like Butler a lot from Iowa St.

That being said i think that in the top 5 half of those will disappoint or be busts and i hope like hell we dont pick any of them except Samuel.

Our GM would look really smart getting either Isabella,Arcega-Whiteside,Samuel or Butler in the second or third round.

Bottom line we need a talented speedy WR otherwise we are not doing the offense any favors we have plenty of average WR and what we need badly is someone who can stretch the field and open up the offense.

If I ranked them:

1. Hakeem Butler

2. Parris Campbell

3. JJ Arcega-W

4. AJ Brown

5. NKeal Harry

6. Andy Isabella

7. DK Metcalf

8. Marquis Brown

9. Riley Ridley

10. Deebo Samuel

11. Miles Boykin

12. Kelvin Harmon

15 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

The top tanked defensive tackles at Walter Football.........

1. Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

2. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

3. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

4. Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State

5. Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

6. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

7. Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

8. Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami

9. Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois

10. Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse

11. Isaiah Buggs, DT, Alabama

Out of all these guys i like Ed Oliver of course. We wont have a shot at Williams. I am weary of Clemson guys especially after Dodd busted out. The main guy i like is Khalen Saunders he is another one of those guys that will last longer than he should on the board due to going to a small school and i hope we land him if he is there in the third round.

I think this is pretty close to reality. I would switch out Gerald Willis and Dremont Jones and put Simmons ahead of both. 

Archived