2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

Face

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I personally don't see  Hock as a game-breaking TE. I see him as a guy who is good at everything but not dynamic enough to warrant the mid-1st round pick he'll cost. For context OJ Howard was a much better prospect IMO (production aside) and he hasn't exactly transformed that Bucs offense. Also this may be unpopular to say but while none of them are independently well-rounded enough, I think that the trio of Firkser, Pruitt, and Smith, along with perhaps a mid-round TE can give us what Hock would from a pure production stand point. 

For the record, I think Hock is a more well rounded prospect than D.K. but D.K. even with his warts brings a skill-set that we just don't have. From day one he brings us a field-stretcher that defenders are at least already wary of. Not only does he threaten DBs with deep speed but if he fails to separate he can still bully them for the ball and win. He isn't well rounded enough to be a #1 type receiver but the upside is certainly there which in itself is pretty rare in that most receivers who come into the league as field stretchers, don't usually have that potential due to size limitations. I see what Will Fuller does for that Texans offense when he's healthy and I wouldn't mind having some of that in Nashville. Corey Davis would absolutely feast with someone like D.K. on the other side.

I'm not saying we should take D.K. Hell I don't necessarily want him or Hock since I'd rather go front 7. But, if I had to choose between the two I think I'd rather the guy who brings something we don't have the ability to manufacture and also has plenty of upside. 

I can see that, and I can agree with your assessment of DK. One big thing going for him is he wouldn’t have to be the number one. I do really like Hock, but I’d be content with what we currently have. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Death, taxes, and narrative driving. 

For once, can we TRY to discuss the WR position without derailing a solid thread @Face put together? 

Next-gen stats are next to worthless as are most stats, including the ones I posted, but here's the link where I got the #66 for separation.  If you scroll down his profile to efficiency you'll see th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I can see that, and I can agree with your assessment of DK. One big thing going for him is he wouldn’t have to be the number one. I do really like Hock, but I’d be content with what we currently have. 

Yeah. I don't really see D.K. as a guy that will ever develop into a true 1 but the skill-set he does bring from day 1 is very enticing, valuable, and a need in our offense. The question IMO then becomes is it worth it to take a guy like D.K. at #19? Personally, I don't think so but I can see how the Titans FO could talk themselves into it. I don't want D.K. but if we take him I won't be pissed because I get the rationale. Now if we somehow get D.K. in the first and a guy like Burns, Simmons, Sweat, or Tillery in the 2nd, I'd be ecstatic. 

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

Yeah. I don't really see D.K. as a guy that will ever develop into a true 1 but the skill-set he does bring from day 1 is very enticing, valuable, and a need in our offense. The question IMO then becomes is it worth it to take a guy like D.K. at #19? Personally, I don't think so but I can see how the Titans FO could talk themselves into it. I don't want D.K. but if we take him I won't be pissed because I get the rationale. Now if we somehow get D.K. in the first and a guy like Burns, Simmons, Sweat, or Tillery in the 2nd, I'd be ecstatic. 

I could actually see a possibility of it, especially if the top pass rushers are gone. If the value is there, i definitely don’t mind. It’s a sexy pick, too. 

But my other hope is a trade back to gather ammo in case Mariota doesn’t work out. 

Crazy thing about the draft is that it harsly ever goes the way you think it will after the first five to seven picks. 

IMO, you have to look at a player's role in college and his importance to his team's passing game as whole.    In college especially, elite  talent tends to stand out and account for a relatively disproportionate chunk of the team's production in the passing game;  it's not unusual for an elite player to account for >50% of the team's passing yards and TDs.   

Not that this guarantees NFL success by any means....but IMO it's red flag when a guy doesn't stand out on his own team.

Of the guys mentioned in this thread, here's how their yardage totals compare to the starting QB's passing yards, from highest to lowest.  (For teams where more than one QB got significant reps, I combined their yards.   I didn't bother including #3 QBs, partly because those numbers are inconsequential...but mostly because I'm lazy.)

Andy Isabella - 53%

Hakeem Butler - 44%

JJAW - 30%

Marquise Brown - 30%

Deebo Samuel - 27%

Emmanuel Hall - 23%

Parris Campbell - 22%

DK Metcalf - 15%

27 minutes ago, nine said:

IMO, you have to look at a player's role in college and his importance to his team's passing game as whole.    In college especially, elite  talent tends to stand out and account for a relatively disproportionate chunk of the team's production in the passing game;  it's not unusual for an elite player to account for >50% of the team's passing yards and TDs.   

Not that this guarantees NFL success by any means....but IMO it's red flag when a guy doesn't stand out on his own team.

Of the guys mentioned in this thread, here's how their yardage totals compare to the starting QB's passing yards, from highest to lowest.  (For teams where more than one QB got significant reps, I combined their yards.   I didn't bother including #3 QBs, partly because those numbers are inconsequential...but mostly because I'm lazy.)

Andy Isabella - 53%

Hakeem Butler - 44%

JJAW - 30%

Marquise Brown - 30%

Deebo Samuel - 27%

Emmanuel Hall - 23%

Parris Campbell - 22%

DK Metcalf - 15%

DK only played 7 games this year due to injury and even in those games he didn't get more than 7 targets averaging about 3.7 targets per game. That's one of the things that bugs me about DK. His team treated him like a pure deep threat exclusively. It certainly isn't a good look. He's a major projection to the NFL which is always super risky.If you draft him you have to be confident that he can at least translate that deep ability right away while the rest of his game catches up. Also because he needs so much development, an injury or two that stunts his learning could derail his whole career. He's the kind of prospect that scares you to death. 

7 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

I don’t see Metcalf being in play. JR values production and this guy wasn’t that productive despite being a physical freak. That’s a big red flag for me. Hollywood brown is more likely.

Hollywood Brown gets ragdolled by defenders.  And his production came against trash defenses with the potential #1 draft pick throwing him the ball

47 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Lol. I think Hollywood is going to be a solid #2 in the nfl. 

I do like the talent a lot.  I guess I'm making too big of a deal about his size since it's comparable to Jackson.  But he took some ugly hits when I watched him.

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

I do like the talent a lot.  I guess I'm making too big of a deal about his size since it's comparable to Jackson.  But he took some ugly hits when I watched him.

I’m from Oklahoma, so I watch OU football pretty consistently. I think too much is made of his size because he is such a dynamic and explosive player that he makes up for it. 

He reminds me a lot of DJax. I loved DJax coming out, though. 

I take the POV that Taylor and Sharpe don’t have long contracts, so guess what? 

Also, I think the draft is pretty WR meaty in rounds 1-3. Personally, If the Titans drafted two defensive studs at DT and EDGE, I wouldn’t be mad at all. But it all depends on how things fall. 

So we’re pretty reliant on Davis and Humphries staying healthy. And then you’re counting 2 “vets” in Sharpe and Taylor doing the same AND improving. I want that, too. But what if it does’nt work out that way?

I can make cases for both Isabella and Metcalf. Don’t really wanna. But here we go. 

Isabella if reports are correct is a do it all smart fast wr who can play all the positions and run the ball a la Dion Lewis. The stats back it up and we know JR has his a talent for getting promising players from Massachusetts. Ok. You can knock his level of competition if you want, however.

Metcalf brings the deep threat speed, but also has the size to beat the jam. A javelin only needs to be used once in a while. Remember David Boston? Ok good. Metcalf doesn’t have a lazy problem bearing 5 pounds less. Could he coached to be more than a deep threat, say, used against LBs? I dunno. Depends on what the consensus is.

But hey, there’s a bunch of guys, as has already been pointed out. And I also think a lot of folks who might want us to trade down on this board need to realize the distinct possibility that such a move could land the Titans in a spot where now the VALUE has simply shifted to the WR position. Mid to late 20s? Out of day one altogether? Plus, this is the last week for news on players to come out and all the various hype machines to make final pushes up the mountain for prospects. 

Gon’ be fun.

3 hours ago, GLinks said:

I take the POV that Taylor and Sharpe don’t have long contracts, so guess what? 

Also, I think the draft is pretty WR meaty in rounds 1-3. Personally, If the Titans drafted two defensive studs at DT and EDGE, I wouldn’t be mad at all. But it all depends on how things fall. 

So we’re pretty reliant on Davis and Humphries staying healthy. And then you’re counting 2 “vets” in Sharpe and Taylor doing the same AND improving. I want that, too. But what if it does’nt work out that way?

I can make cases for both Isabella and Metcalf. Don’t really wanna. But here we go. 

Isabella if reports are correct is a do it all smart fast wr who can play all the positions and run the ball a la Dion Lewis. The stats back it up and we know JR has his a talent for getting promising players from Massachusetts. Ok. You can knock his level of competition if you want, however.

Metcalf brings the deep threat speed, but also has the size to beat the jam. A javelin only needs to be used once in a while. Remember David Boston? Ok good. Metcalf doesn’t have a lazy problem bearing 5 pounds less. Could he coached to be more than a deep threat, say, used against LBs? I dunno. Depends on what the consensus is.

But hey, there’s a bunch of guys, as has already been pointed out. And I also think a lot of folks who might want us to trade down on this board need to realize the distinct possibility that such a move could land the Titans in a spot where now the VALUE has simply shifted to the WR position. Mid to late 20s? Out of day one altogether? Plus, this is the last week for news on players to come out and all the various hype machines to make final pushes up the mountain for prospects. 

Gon’ be fun.

If the Titans take a WR in rounds 2-3 that the team thinks can contribute in 2019, then Sharpe is in danger of getting cut.