Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Face

2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Well, DGB did have decent production in his 1st year, for a rookie playing with a rookie QB.

But he showed so many bad traits and deficiencies once they figured out what he lacked between the ears.

What I'm getting at is Mizzou found a way to make him a fairly effective weapon despite that, and I'm afraid they may have done the same with Metcalf.

 

Yeah maybe it’s a system thing there. I’m just more scared of the titans history drafting unproductive elite athletes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about these receivers but I'd much rather them take someone in the first then try some workout warrior in the 2nd/3rd

 

If they take someone that high the talent hopefully warrants it and shows how impressed they are about everything about the guy, not some fantasy of coaching a guy up eventually and hope he finally plays to his physical ability

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Well, DGB did have decent production in his 1st year, for a rookie playing with a rookie QB.

But he showed so many bad traits and deficiencies once they figured out what he lacked between the ears.

What I'm getting at is Mizzou found a way to make him a fairly effective weapon despite that, and I'm afraid they may have done the same with Metcalf.

 

Metcalf played at Ole Miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
4 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I disagree, but would love to hear why you like him more than Hock. 

I personally don't see  Hock as a game-breaking TE. I see him as a guy who is good at everything but not dynamic enough to warrant the mid-1st round pick he'll cost. For context OJ Howard was a much better prospect IMO (production aside) and he hasn't exactly transformed that Bucs offense. Also this may be unpopular to say but while none of them are independently well-rounded enough, I think that the trio of Firkser, Pruitt, and Smith, along with perhaps a mid-round TE can give us what Hock would from a pure production stand point. 

 

For the record, I think Hock is a more well rounded prospect than D.K. but D.K. even with his warts brings a skill-set that we just don't have. From day one he brings us a field-stretcher that defenders are at least already wary of. Not only does he threaten DBs with deep speed but if he fails to separate he can still bully them for the ball and win. He isn't well rounded enough to be a #1 type receiver but the upside is certainly there which in itself is pretty rare in that most receivers who come into the league as field stretchers, don't usually have that potential due to size limitations. I see what Will Fuller does for that Texans offense when he's healthy and I wouldn't mind having some of that in Nashville. Corey Davis would absolutely feast with someone like D.K. on the other side.

 

I'm not saying we should take D.K. Hell I don't necessarily want him or Hock since I'd rather go front 7. But, if I had to choose between the two I think I'd rather the guy who brings something we don't have the ability to manufacture and also has plenty of upside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I personally don't see  Hock as a game-breaking TE. I see him as a guy who is good at everything but not dynamic enough to warrant the mid-1st round pick he'll cost. For context OJ Howard was a much better prospect IMO (production aside) and he hasn't exactly transformed that Bucs offense. Also this may be unpopular to say but while none of them are independently well-rounded enough, I think that the trio of Firkser, Pruitt, and Smith, along with perhaps a mid-round TE can give us what Hock would from a pure production stand point. 

 

For the record, I think Hock is a more well rounded prospect than D.K. but D.K. even with his warts brings a skill-set that we just don't have. From day one he brings us a field-stretcher that defenders are at least already wary of. Not only does he threaten DBs with deep speed but if he fails to separate he can still bully them for the ball and win. He isn't well rounded enough to be a #1 type receiver but the upside is certainly there which in itself is pretty rare in that most receivers who come into the league as field stretchers, don't usually have that potential due to size limitations. I see what Will Fuller does for that Texans offense when he's healthy and I wouldn't mind having some of that in Nashville. Corey Davis would absolutely feast with someone like D.K. on the other side.

 

I'm not saying we should take D.K. Hell I don't necessarily want him or Hock since I'd rather go front 7. But, if I had to choose between the two I think I'd rather the guy who brings something we don't have the ability to manufacture and also has plenty of upside. 

I can see that, and I can agree with your assessment of DK. One big thing going for him is he wouldn’t have to be the number one. I do really like Hock, but I’d be content with what we currently have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
1 minute ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I can see that, and I can agree with your assessment of DK. One big thing going for him is he wouldn’t have to be the number one. I do really like Hock, but I’d be content with what we currently have. 

Yeah. I don't really see D.K. as a guy that will ever develop into a true 1 but the skill-set he does bring from day 1 is very enticing, valuable, and a need in our offense. The question IMO then becomes is it worth it to take a guy like D.K. at #19? Personally, I don't think so but I can see how the Titans FO could talk themselves into it. I don't want D.K. but if we take him I won't be pissed because I get the rationale. Now if we somehow get D.K. in the first and a guy like Burns, Simmons, Sweat, or Tillery in the 2nd, I'd be ecstatic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

Yeah. I don't really see D.K. as a guy that will ever develop into a true 1 but the skill-set he does bring from day 1 is very enticing, valuable, and a need in our offense. The question IMO then becomes is it worth it to take a guy like D.K. at #19? Personally, I don't think so but I can see how the Titans FO could talk themselves into it. I don't want D.K. but if we take him I won't be pissed because I get the rationale. Now if we somehow get D.K. in the first and a guy like Burns, Simmons, Sweat, or Tillery in the 2nd, I'd be ecstatic. 

I could actually see a possibility of it, especially if the top pass rushers are gone. If the value is there, i definitely don’t mind. It’s a sexy pick, too. 

 

But my other hope is a trade back to gather ammo in case Mariota doesn’t work out. 

 

Crazy thing about the draft is that it harsly ever goes the way you think it will after the first five to seven picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nine   

IMO, you have to look at a player's role in college and his importance to his team's passing game as whole.    In college especially, elite  talent tends to stand out and account for a relatively disproportionate chunk of the team's production in the passing game;  it's not unusual for an elite player to account for >50% of the team's passing yards and TDs.   

 

Not that this guarantees NFL success by any means....but IMO it's red flag when a guy doesn't stand out on his own team.

 

Of the guys mentioned in this thread, here's how their yardage totals compare to the starting QB's passing yards, from highest to lowest.  (For teams where more than one QB got significant reps, I combined their yards.   I didn't bother including #3 QBs, partly because those numbers are inconsequential...but mostly because I'm lazy.)

 

Andy Isabella - 53%

Hakeem Butler - 44%

JJAW - 30%

Marquise Brown - 30%

Deebo Samuel - 27%

Emmanuel Hall - 23%

Parris Campbell - 22%

DK Metcalf - 15%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
27 minutes ago, nine said:

IMO, you have to look at a player's role in college and his importance to his team's passing game as whole.    In college especially, elite  talent tends to stand out and account for a relatively disproportionate chunk of the team's production in the passing game;  it's not unusual for an elite player to account for >50% of the team's passing yards and TDs.   

 

Not that this guarantees NFL success by any means....but IMO it's red flag when a guy doesn't stand out on his own team.

 

Of the guys mentioned in this thread, here's how their yardage totals compare to the starting QB's passing yards, from highest to lowest.  (For teams where more than one QB got significant reps, I combined their yards.   I didn't bother including #3 QBs, partly because those numbers are inconsequential...but mostly because I'm lazy.)

 

Andy Isabella - 53%

Hakeem Butler - 44%

JJAW - 30%

Marquise Brown - 30%

Deebo Samuel - 27%

Emmanuel Hall - 23%

Parris Campbell - 22%

DK Metcalf - 15%

DK only played 7 games this year due to injury and even in those games he didn't get more than 7 targets averaging about 3.7 targets per game. That's one of the things that bugs me about DK. His team treated him like a pure deep threat exclusively. It certainly isn't a good look. He's a major projection to the NFL which is always super risky.If you draft him you have to be confident that he can at least translate that deep ability right away while the rest of his game catches up. Also because he needs so much development, an injury or two that stunts his learning could derail his whole career. He's the kind of prospect that scares you to death. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see Metcalf being in play. JR values production and this guy wasn’t that productive despite being a physical freak. That’s a big red flag for me. Hollywood brown is more likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   
7 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

I don’t see Metcalf being in play. JR values production and this guy wasn’t that productive despite being a physical freak. That’s a big red flag for me. Hollywood brown is more likely.

Hollywood Brown gets ragdolled by defenders.  And his production came against trash defenses with the potential #1 draft pick throwing him the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

Hollywood Brown gets ragdolled by defenders.  And his production came against trash defenses with the potential #1 draft pick throwing him the ball

I don’t want either of them personally 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Hollywood Brown gets ragdolled by defenders.  And his production came against trash defenses with the potential #1 draft pick throwing him the ball

Lol. I think Hollywood is going to be a solid #2 in the nfl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   
47 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Lol. I think Hollywood is going to be a solid #2 in the nfl. 

I do like the talent a lot.  I guess I'm making too big of a deal about his size since it's comparable to Jackson.  But he took some ugly hits when I watched him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

I do like the talent a lot.  I guess I'm making too big of a deal about his size since it's comparable to Jackson.  But he took some ugly hits when I watched him.

I’m from Oklahoma, so I watch OU football pretty consistently. I think too much is made of his size because he is such a dynamic and explosive player that he makes up for it. 

 

He reminds me a lot of DJax. I loved DJax coming out, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...