Sign in to follow this  
Face

2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

I don’t think anybody believes we can’t improve the position. It’s just they’re not going to do it to get one of the better guys in this discussion. They have already addressed the position. 

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Taylor is somewhere between the 65th and 100th best WR in the league.  

It's friggin hilarious to me that people act like he's not part of the problem.  Taylor could take another big step forward this offseason and be closer to like the 55th best WR in the league.  No reason to draft another WR guys!

And the draft is a sure fire way to get a better player, right?  Every pick works out exactly like teams imagine

3 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

And the draft is a sure fire way to get a better player, right?  Every pick works out exactly like teams imagine

No, of course not.  Doesn't mean you just don't try or that the Titans are fine at the position.  

@Justafanwhat is an acceptable graded WR for the 3rd WR on a team in a league of 32?

You were obviously being sarcastic but being the 55th beat WR seems much more than what you'd expect and be able to do

Obviously you can try to work on the position but most likely any rookie we take at a mid round pick won't be in the top 50

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

@Justafanwhat is an acceptable graded WR for the 3rd WR on a team in a league of 32?

You were obviously being sarcastic but being the 55th beat WR seems much more than what you'd expect and be able to do

Obviously you can try to work on the position but most likely any rookie we take at a mid round pick won't be in the top 50

So Humphries is only going to be on the field about 60% of the time going off splits from last year.  Taylor was in on 55% of snaps last year and I expect it will be similar this year, possibly even going down because there are more targets even if Mariotas attempts have nowhere to go but up.

Last year, Taylor got about 16% of all passing targets.  I would much rather your #2 WR, which is what he really is playing outside even though he's the #3 WR if that makes sense, be closer to a top 40 guy than a top 80 guy.

Now, is Taylor acceptable as a #3 WR in a run-first offense?  Sure, whatever.  He's fine.  He's not good though and it's a position that could and should be upgraded.  

7 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

And for the record, I'm not pushing for a WR in the first two.  If Arcega-Whitehead is there in the third, cool but only if it's a guy they like.

My sarcasm was more directed at people who were pumping Taylor up in an effort to push an alternative narrative.  

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

No, of course not.  Doesn't mean you just don't try or that the Titans are fine at the position.  

If we were speaking of Sharpe, I would agree.  But I think even you can see that Taylor has the talent and can make plays beyond what is capable of your typical #4 option .  He was getting separation against All Pro CBs, FFS.  What are his issues?  That of a young player.  He's inconsistent, has focus drops, sometimes isn't where he's supposed to be.  He's far from the first WR to have this issues early on.  So you are telling me that we will be able to find a WR in the draft, who as a rookie, will be able to beat corners like Ramsey in coverage, get open downfield, and that he will have absolutely no issues typical of young players ?  And we're going to find this guy in rounds 3-7?  Do you see how stupid that sounds?

8 hours ago, Justafan said:

Last year, Taylor got about 16% of all passing targets.  I would much rather your #2 WR, which is what he really is playing outside even though he's the #3 WR if that makes sense, be closer to a top 40 guy than a top 80 guy.

Taylor had 26 targets the last 5 games of the season and played the majority of the snaps. Davis had 28. 

The question is will that continue into the season. If it does Taylor could be fine as the #2 WR. 

I don't think it was a coincidence that when Henry and the running game took off Taylor played more and got more chances. 

The argument for JJAW isn't based on snap count.  It's matchup and situational. 

Taylor's speed is neutralized in the red zone.  He's not that effective with contested catches.

JJAW is a former basketball player who excels at boxing out the defender and makes the contested catch with ease.  He's a guy who can turn FGs into TDs.

Obviously, JJAW offers a lot more than that, but that is his main advantage.  He brings a different skill set than Taylor.  To put it another way, JJAW, Humphrey and Taylor all play significant snaps, depending on situation and matchup.

Edited by ctm

10 hours ago, abc2330 said:

If we were speaking of Sharpe, I would agree.  But I think even you can see that Taylor has the talent and can make plays beyond what is capable of your typical #4 option .  He was getting separation against All Pro CBs, FFS.  What are his issues?  That of a young player.  He's inconsistent, has focus drops, sometimes isn't where he's supposed to be.  He's far from the first WR to have this issues early on.  So you are telling me that we will be able to find a WR in the draft, who as a rookie, will be able to beat corners like Ramsey in coverage, get open downfield, and that he will have absolutely no issues typical of young players ?  And we're going to find this guy in rounds 3-7?  Do you see how stupid that sounds?

He got the third most cushion and was like #66 in terms of separation at the point of catch.  Taylor isn't as good as you think he is.  He made some catches, he dropped some important passes (not the end of the world) but he was rarely good enough to be running free.  He's got speed and he can sneak out but he's not a deep burner and he's not a solid outside WR.  

WRs are found in rounds 3-7 all the time.  I've already said that Taylor is going to be the main option on the outside as he should.  You still bring in more guys to try and get better and add competition.  They just have even bigger needs at other positions.  

Edited by Justafan

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Taylor had 26 targets the last 5 games of the season and played the majority of the snaps. Davis had 28. 

The question is will that continue into the season. If it does Taylor could be fine as the #2 WR. 

I don't think it was a coincidence that when Henry and the running game took off Taylor played more and got more chances. 

He did get better but I think you are understating the step he needs to take to be a really solid outside #2.  Obviously, the Titans think they need help or they wouldn't have spent 9 million a year to bring in a slot WR.  

13 hours ago, Number9 said:

I don’t think anybody believes we can’t improve the position. It’s just they’re not going to do it to get one of the better guys in this discussion. They have already addressed the position. 

Yet when we have a dominant DT in Casey, 3 badass ILB, and a deep secondary we still talk about our need for more at those positions. It's like we see being good isn't good enough for defense as an organization and even fanbase but are so satisfied with a middling WR corps. Hell there's been more talk about adding more RBs and TEs than WRs this off-season. 

We already have a probowl DT in Casey. Have we already addressed the position? Yes, but another dominant guy next to him could transform the defense. Same with Corey Davis, who by the way at this point is not even close to par with a caliber of player as Casey. A dominant #2 would transform the offense with Humphries in the slot and Walker coming back healthy.

Roethlesberger only threw for 30+ TDs once in the past 4 years and that was last year. Antonio Brown wasn't enough, they needed JuJu too. We need to find our JuJu bc Humphries is an addition but not enough.

Having a weak receiving option on the field is as bad as having a weak player in the secondary. Less resources are used to defend him and more are used on the guy everybody thinks we should "just throw it to."  

One weak player in the secondary can mean a team passes all over you. One weak receiving option can make an entire offense stall.

11 hours ago, abc2330 said:

If we were speaking of Sharpe, I would agree.  But I think even you can see that Taylor has the talent and can make plays beyond what is capable of your typical #4 option .  He was getting separation against All Pro CBs, FFS.  What are his issues?  That of a young player.  He's inconsistent, has focus drops, sometimes isn't where he's supposed to be.  He's far from the first WR to have this issues early on.

There's no way a DB would get this kind of grace. Oh he's got great speed, sure he allows some separation or he loses contested catches but he's learning and he'll get better over time. If he can't line up, if he can't catch the tough catch then he isn't better than a #4 option at this point