2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

Face

Just now, abc2330 said:

Mariota has had 24 TDs to 23 INTs during the past two seasons, and has averaged 2,880 yards per season.  If that's not replacement level, then I don't know what is.  

And ignore his passer rating, qbr, yards per attempt, completion percentage, and wins over the last three years.  Wow, you're really bad at this.  

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Death, taxes, and narrative driving. 

For once, can we TRY to discuss the WR position without derailing a solid thread @Face put together? 

Next-gen stats are next to worthless as are most stats, including the ones I posted, but here's the link where I got the #66 for separation.  If you scroll down his profile to efficiency you'll see th

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Justafan said:

And ignore his passer rating, qbr, yards per attempt, completion percentage, and wins over the last three years.  Wow, you're really bad at this.  

He was bad in nearly every way in 17.  We brought in a coveted OC who just got offered as prestigious An NFL coaching job as there is, and he had nothing to do with Mariota's improvement in YPA , completion %, QB rating, TD/INT ratio, etc.?  That improvement was all Mariota?

1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

He was bad in nearly every way in 17.  We brought in a coveted OC who just got offered as prestigious An NFL coaching job as there is, and he had nothing to do with Mariota's improvement in YPA , completion %, QB rating, TD/INT ratio, etc.?  That improvement was all Mariota?

Keep going... I'm sure you'll hit a nugget of truth somewhere in your misplaced ramblings.  

18 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Keep going... I'm sure you'll hit a nugget of truth somewhere in your misplaced ramblings.  

I'm not understanding why you'll nitpick for Mariota, but not a 3rd round WR in year 2.  But I think we've discussed this enough.  IMO, we need more out of both of those guys.   I'm more hesitant that we'll see as much improvement out of a QB going into year 5 as we will a WR going into year 3.  But I hope that we see both.

8 hours ago, Justafan said:

He did get better but I think you are understating the step he needs to take to be a really solid outside #2.  Obviously, the Titans think they need help or they wouldn't have spent 9 million a year to bring in a slot WR.  

Yea slot receiver was a huge need, that's not in anyway reflective of Taylor's role. If they draft or sign someone to play outside opposite of Taylor then it would mean something more imo

It's laughable how people constantly think Taylor was being upgraded because we went after a slot receiver and also uses the argument of they know what Taylor is because they watch the games...

Clearly people who pound their chest about Taylor being a slot guy are pretty damn clueless

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea slot receiver was a huge need, that's not in anyway reflective of Taylor's role. If they draft or sign someone to play outside opposite of Taylor then it would mean something more imo

Bottom line is, Taylor was only ok or they wouldn't have felt the need to add another weapon.  

18 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It's laughable how people constantly think Taylor was being upgraded because we went after a slot receiver and also uses the argument of they know what Taylor is because they watch the games...

Clearly people who pound their chest about Taylor being a slot guy are pretty damn clueless

Who's pounding their chest about Taylor being a slot guy?  He played 14% of his snaps from the slot.  I didn't see anyone calling Taylor a slot WR.  

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Bottom line is, Taylor was only ok or they wouldn't have felt the need to add another weapon.  

Since season's end up until Hump was picked up JRob mentioned wanting a "veteran presence" in the WR room, and even after Hump, said he'd still see if there might be another one available.

He knows the kids hadn't acquired the experience yet, and he knows the only way to accelerate that is to bring in someone who has been there, for them to be around.

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

Who's pounding their chest about Taylor being a slot guy?  He played 14% of his snaps from the slot.  I didn't see anyone calling Taylor a slot WR.  

LOTS of people have called us signing a slot receiver in FA some indication of what they really think of Taylor... As I said, it's laughable that any idiot would even correlate those

But yes, this off-season there's been half a dozen posters or more who said Taylor was a slot receiver

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

No, completely unrelated but of course they only thought Taylor was ok.... Them wanting a slot receiver literally has nothing to do with Taylor

I really wish Derrick Mason would take on some kind of mentorship and work with our WRs like Taylor. 

I also wish Taylor and Davis would seek HOF players out like Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson or Jerry Rice to help them craft their game. Or even get with other top WRs in the league

8 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

LOTS of people have called us signing a slot receiver in FA some indication of what they really think of Taylor... As I said, it's laughable that any idiot would even correlate those

But yes, this off-season there's been half a dozen posters or more who said Taylor was a slot receiver

I won't say it hasn't happened because I ignore a good bit of what is said around here and I imagine if someone started going on about Taylor being a slot guy I would just scroll past it and write it off.  I can't recall it though.  

Edited by Justafan

8 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

No, completely unrelated but of course they only thought Taylor was ok.... Them wanting a slot receiver literally has nothing to do with Taylor

With the addition of Humphries, do Taylor's snaps go up or down?  Davis isn't coming off the field.  Humphries is going to be on the field whenever they have 3WR sets and he'll probably get a few snaps on the outside as well (he played 20% of his snaps on the outside last year).  Taylor still played 15% of his snaps in the slot.  Those snaps are going to Humphries now.  With the addition of Humphries, the Titans are by default reducing Taylor's role in the offense.  They wouldn't go out and spend big money on a slot WR if they thought they had a really good outside guy because they have Walker, Smith, and Lewis who can all play out of the slot if they want.  

I got a guy over here claiming that a WR who had less than 40 receptions last year, and it looks like the team will be happy to reduce his role, is on par with guys like OBJ and here you are coming after me like I'm making some crazy claim.  Yea, signing a 9 million dollar WR has literally nothing to do with how happy the team is with the WRs currently on the roster.  OK.

To me, that's way worse than someone claiming Taylor is a slot WR.  The magical people who haven't been named at that.  

Now he flashed and he made some big plays (a few).  He could still take a big step going into his third season and YES he's OK as the outside WR.  This idea that he's some fantastic receiver, only held back by the offense, though is pure fanboy bullshit.  

Taylor SHOULD be a slot WR. Everything about his scouting reports and athletic profile screams slot. I know we don't currently use him there but I've always wondered why. His outlook as a legitimate outside WR is very limited. I know he was good outside in college but producing consistently on the outside in the NFL is a whole different beast.