2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

Face

4 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I agree in that we need a deep threat with size. 

I just think isabella is the smartest and most polished route runner with the most elite speed/agility skill set and could be the best WR in this draft but he’s predicted to go later than most because of his height and skin color. 

If he’s still there in the 4th I’d be livid if we dont go after him. 

He won't make it to the 4th.  I would be surprised if he makes it out of the second.  I could see 3rd just because he's not likely to play outside but he's too talented to drop to the fourth.  

There are a lot of pretty good WR prospects all the way into the 5th round this year, depending on what you're looking for so that may push some of these guys down a little.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Death, taxes, and narrative driving. 

For once, can we TRY to discuss the WR position without derailing a solid thread @Face put together? 

Next-gen stats are next to worthless as are most stats, including the ones I posted, but here's the link where I got the #66 for separation.  If you scroll down his profile to efficiency you'll see th

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Justafan said:

He won't make it to the 4th.  I would be surprised if he makes it out of the second.  I could see 3rd just because he's not likely to play outside but he's too talented to drop to the fourth.  

There are a lot of pretty good WR prospects all the way into the 5th round this year, depending on what you're looking for so that may push some of these guys down a little.

I think there is going to be huge run on WR in the 2nd and 3rd. Once one or two guys go it will start to push them all. It’s likely that Metcalf/Butler are first rounders, but between the late 1st potentially through the 3rd you will see AJ Brown, Hollywood Brown, Deebo Samuel, N’keal Harry, Kelvin Harmon, Parris Campbell, JJAW, Terry McLaurin, Emanuel Hall, Miles Boykin, Andy Isabella, and Riley Ridley all taken.

Guys like Mecole Hardman, Gary Jennings, Penny Hart, and David Sills could sneak in there as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

That’s why when scouting wideouts, I prioritize two things above all others. The first is non-negotiable and it’s ball skills. The ability to accurately track a football, position one’s self between that ball and the defender, and pluck it out of the air is a necessity in the NFL. 

This was mentioned at the start of the Taywan thread, but didn't get mentioned after the OP.  The ability to track the ball is huge, but I don't know if it can be improved as in Taywan case.  Either a player can do it or they can't.  It gives them a huge advantage over CB.

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

That’s why when scouting wideouts, I prioritize two things above all others. The first is non-negotiable and it’s ball skills. The ability to accurately track a football, position one’s self between that ball and the defender, and pluck it out of the air is a necessity in the NFL. 

This was mentioned at the start of the Taywan thread, but didn't get mentioned after the OP.  The ability to track the ball is huge, but I don't know if it can be improved as in Taywan case.  Either a player can do it or they can't.  It gives them a huge advantage over CB.

Taywan tracks the ball fine.  People are making a big deal out of one play where he broke off his path and likely lost the ball in the sun

On 4/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, JakePA_Titan said:

If we are missing something at WR after the money we gave Humphries and the pick we spent on Davis, what we are lacking in the FO is the real problem. 

We are missing an adequate and capable QB. 

The addition of Humphries is huge.  He's going to put up numbers, but his presence is going to increase the numbers of the rest of the receivers.  He'll take weight off DW having to be his old self immediately.  I like a lot of the WR mentioned in the OP, but I think OL, PR and TE will be our first priority.  These guys will be all gone before we address WR.

4 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Taywan tracks the ball fine.  People are making a big deal out of one play where he broke off his path and likely lost the ball in the sun

I have to take your word on that, but a player who is great at tracking the ball can catch more off target balls and position themselves to get more PI calls.

Tracking the ball isn't enough.  The receiver has to track the ball while maintaining his awareness of defenders, sidelines, the 1st down marker and even the refs.

That's what positioning is all about.

The problems with the receivers last season had more to do with their lack of experience than anything else.  They were young, inexperienced and had no leader by example.  No mentor.

I'm sure we're all hoping this year will be different and they're improved.

23 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Tracking the ball isn't enough.  The receiver has to track the ball while maintaining his awareness of defenders, sidelines, the 1st down marker and even the refs.

The problems with the receivers last season had more to do with their lack of experience than anything else.  They were young, inexperienced and had no leader by example.  No mentor.

One of the big problems the Titans have is never having a great vet to help the young players along.  The franchise used to have the best DB in the league.  Then the OL and DL through coaching kept those positions at the top.  We had a WR coach a few years ago having them catch bricks.  IDK if any broken fingers came from that or not, but it was discontinued.  

54 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

It's especially true with our receivers because they all come from smaller conferences and had to deal with a bigger jump in speed of the game.  

57 minutes ago, Number9 said:

One of the big problems the Titans have is never having a great vet to help the young players along.  

Huh? This franchise is where vet receivers go to end their career.

There are plenty of players that have fit the role, the only true vet I can think of that is not willing was Andre Johnson wanting to keep a starting role and being sour about playing time

48 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Huh? This franchise is where vet receivers go to end their career.

There are plenty of players that have fit the role, the only true vet I can think of that is not willing was Andre Johnson wanting to keep a starting role and being sour about playing time

The Titans haven’t had a great Titans vet to teach the young guys.  Some things my long winded ass doesn’t spell out. I’m talking about a player like AJ who played here and know how we do things.  Even when RM was here, he hadn’t been part of the program long enough to be that guy in the room without overstepping. Entirely different than TL to JC. 

Taylor is somewhere between the 65th and 100th best WR in the league.  

It's friggin hilarious to me that people act like he's not part of the problem.  Taylor could take another big step forward this offseason and be closer to like the 55th best WR in the league.  No reason to draft another WR guys!

7 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Taylor is somewhere between the 65th and 100th best WR in the league.  

It's friggin hilarious to me that people act like he's not part of the problem.  Taylor could take another big step forward this offseason and be closer to like the 55th best WR in the league.  No reason to draft another WR guys!

This response actually needs a thumbup and a chuckle, but I'm forced to choose between the two.

I don’t think anybody believes we can’t improve the position. It’s just they’re not going to do it to get one of the better guys in this discussion. They have already addressed the position.