2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

Face

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-wr-andy-isabella-massachusetts

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

The article on Arcega-Whiteside in particular was very interesting & it's pretty much how I've come to view WR. They show how awful the hit rate is at the position & go on to say they think there's 2 traits that are absolute musts. First is hands/ball skills. It's just too difficult to consistently get great separation in the pros, only a handful can. So you need guys with great hands & that are comfortable making catches with defenders all over them. The next one is a guy has to have a "Trump card", a trait he has that's dominant & reliable. Whether it's a guy who kills it on back shoulder fades, tremendous ability after the catch to make guys miss, straightline speed like DeSean Jackson, insane cutting ability on shorter stuff,  whatever. But you need a go to.

I think this is spot on & something our current group is missing. Davis is sortve a guy that does everything well but nothing sticks out. Taylor definitely has the afterburners to beat people deep but right now he's just not consistent enough making the catch. I think we could really use an outside guy that does one thing really well, and there's a bunch of them:

Metcalf-awesome specimen, goes after the ball violently

Hollywood-DJax like deep speed & is also excellent after the catch 

Arcega-Whiteside-amazing jump ball player

Isabella-electric speed & deep threat

Emanual Hall-see Isabella

Hakeem Butler-amazing size for downfield contests passes

Deebo & Parris Campbell-YAC

This is an exciting group & I think some of these guys will really help their teams as rookies with their "Trump cards" even if they need further development.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Death, taxes, and narrative driving. 

For once, can we TRY to discuss the WR position without derailing a solid thread @Face put together? 

Next-gen stats are next to worthless as are most stats, including the ones I posted, but here's the link where I got the #66 for separation.  If you scroll down his profile to efficiency you'll see th

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

Death, taxes, and narrative driving. 

Is he not driving a narrative too?

The question has to be answered or we're wasting our resources on WRs we think are good but we'll later blame.

I'd like to know the answer definitively. Until then, unless a WR is undeniably great, we're wasting our time.

Edited by big2033

38 minutes ago, Face said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-wr-andy-isabella-massachusetts

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

The article on Arcega-Whiteside in particular was very interesting & it's pretty much how I've come to view WR. They show how awful the hit rate is at the position & go on to say they think there's 2 traits that are absolute musts. First is hands/ball skills. It's just too difficult to consistently get great separation in the pros, only a handful can. So you need guys with great hands & that are comfortable making catches with defenders all over them. The next one is a guy has to have a "Trump card", a trait he has that's dominant & reliable. Whether it's a guy who kills it on back shoulder fades, tremendous ability after the catch to make guys miss, straightline speed like DeSean Jackson, insane cutting ability on shorter stuff,  whatever. But you need a go to.

I think this is spot on & something our current group is missing. Davis is sortve a guy that does everything well but nothing sticks out. Taylor definitely has the afterburners to beat people deep but right now he's just not consistent enough making the catch. I think we could really use an outside guy that does one thing really well, and there's a bunch of them:

This is an exciting group & I think some of these guys will really help their teams as rookies with their "Trump cards" even if they need further development.

I really like Arcega, Deebo, and Butler.  I think the draft shakes out well for WRs in the second, (Butler won't make it that far) but I don't know if the Titans view the group as a big enough need to take a WR there with other guys on the board.  You have to remember that the flanker in this offense is likely the 4th or 5th option.  

2 hours ago, Face said:

I think CD is a jack of all trades type of dude, which is, IMO, what you want from your number 1. I’m super intrigued by Isabella. Wherever he goes, I’ll follow his career. 

8 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think CD is a jack of all trades type of dude, which is, IMO, what you want from your number 1. I’m super intrigued by Isabella. Wherever he goes, I’ll follow his career. 

I'd love to pick up Isabella... i dont think he's on our boards though, we havent met with him a single time and he seems to be outside of JRob's Ht/Wt minimums. 

He's also a jack of all trades but limited in size. Makes up for it everywhere else though.

7 hours ago, titanruss said:

I'd love to pick up Isabella... i dont think he's on our boards though, we havent met with him a single time and he seems to be outside of JRob's Ht/Wt minimums. 

He's also a jack of all trades but limited in size. Makes up for it everywhere else though.

He's a slot type WR.  We have a Humphries and we have other guys who can play in the slot.  It wouldn't make much sense to draft a guy in two who isn't ideal on the outside.

4 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

If Arcega-Whiteside is truly the next Julio or Evans, then sign me up for tickets.

That's one thing we missed last year with Matthews gone, was a WR that could and would fight for the catch and win with consistency.

Arcega rounds out what the Titans don't have.  He's not a blazer but he's physical and gets open and he makes the darn catch.  He projects as an outstanding #2 WR.  

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

He's a slot type WR.  We have a Humphries and we have other guys who can play in the slot.  It wouldn't make much sense to draft a guy in two who isn't ideal on the outside.

Arcega rounds out what the Titans don't have.  He's not a blazer but he's physical and gets open and he makes the darn catch.  He projects as an outstanding #2 WR.  

I agree in that we need a deep threat with size. 

I just think isabella is the smartest and most polished route runner with the most elite speed/agility skill set and could be the best WR in this draft but he’s predicted to go later than most because of his height and skin color. 

If he’s still there in the 4th I’d be livid if we dont go after him.