Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Face

2 great PFF articles on Isabella & JJAW sum up exactly what we're missing at WR

Recommended Posts

Face   

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-wr-andy-isabella-massachusetts

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

 

The article on Arcega-Whiteside in particular was very interesting & it's pretty much how I've come to view WR. They show how awful the hit rate is at the position & go on to say they think there's 2 traits that are absolute musts. First is hands/ball skills. It's just too difficult to consistently get great separation in the pros, only a handful can. So you need guys with great hands & that are comfortable making catches with defenders all over them. The next one is a guy has to have a "Trump card", a trait he has that's dominant & reliable. Whether it's a guy who kills it on back shoulder fades, tremendous ability after the catch to make guys miss, straightline speed like DeSean Jackson, insane cutting ability on shorter stuff,  whatever. But you need a go to.

 

I think this is spot on & something our current group is missing. Davis is sortve a guy that does everything well but nothing sticks out. Taylor definitely has the afterburners to beat people deep but right now he's just not consistent enough making the catch. I think we could really use an outside guy that does one thing really well, and there's a bunch of them:

 

Metcalf-awesome specimen, goes after the ball violently

 

Hollywood-DJax like deep speed & is also excellent after the catch 

 

Arcega-Whiteside-amazing jump ball player

 

Isabella-electric speed & deep threat

 

Emanual Hall-see Isabella

 

Hakeem Butler-amazing size for downfield contests passes

 

Deebo & Parris Campbell-YAC

 

This is an exciting group & I think some of these guys will really help their teams as rookies with their "Trump cards" even if they need further development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
2 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

Death, taxes, and narrative driving. 

Is he not driving a narrative too?

 

The question has to be answered or we're wasting our resources on WRs we think are good but we'll later blame.

 

I'd like to know the answer definitively. Until then, unless a WR is undeniably great, we're wasting our time.

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justafan   
38 minutes ago, Face said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-wr-andy-isabella-massachusetts

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

 

The article on Arcega-Whiteside in particular was very interesting & it's pretty much how I've come to view WR. They show how awful the hit rate is at the position & go on to say they think there's 2 traits that are absolute musts. First is hands/ball skills. It's just too difficult to consistently get great separation in the pros, only a handful can. So you need guys with great hands & that are comfortable making catches with defenders all over them. The next one is a guy has to have a "Trump card", a trait he has that's dominant & reliable. Whether it's a guy who kills it on back shoulder fades, tremendous ability after the catch to make guys miss, straightline speed like DeSean Jackson, insane cutting ability on shorter stuff,  whatever. But you need a go to.

 

I think this is spot on & something our current group is missing. Davis is sortve a guy that does everything well but nothing sticks out. Taylor definitely has the afterburners to beat people deep but right now he's just not consistent enough making the catch. I think we could really use an outside guy that does one thing really well, and there's a bunch of them:

 

Metcalf-awesome specimen, goes after the ball violently

 

Hollywood-DJax like deep speed & is also excellent after the catch 

 

Arcega-Whiteside-amazing jump ball player

 

Isabella-electric speed & deep threat

 

Emanual Hall-see Isabella

 

Hakeem Butler-amazing size for downfield contests passes

 

Deebo & Parris Campbell-YAC

 

This is an exciting group & I think some of these guys will really help their teams as rookies with their "Trump cards" even if they need further development.

I really like Arcega, Deebo, and Butler.  I think the draft shakes out well for WRs in the second, (Butler won't make it that far) but I don't know if the Titans view the group as a big enough need to take a WR there with other guys on the board.  You have to remember that the flanker in this offense is likely the 4th or 5th option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are missing something at WR after the money we gave Humphries and the pick we spent on Davis, what we are lacking in the FO is the real problem. 

 

We are missing an adequate and capable QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Face said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-wr-andy-isabella-massachusetts

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-stanfords-jj-arcega-whiteside-is-a-top-three-wideout-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

 

The article on Arcega-Whiteside in particular was very interesting & it's pretty much how I've come to view WR. They show how awful the hit rate is at the position & go on to say they think there's 2 traits that are absolute musts. First is hands/ball skills. It's just too difficult to consistently get great separation in the pros, only a handful can. So you need guys with great hands & that are comfortable making catches with defenders all over them. The next one is a guy has to have a "Trump card", a trait he has that's dominant & reliable. Whether it's a guy who kills it on back shoulder fades, tremendous ability after the catch to make guys miss, straightline speed like DeSean Jackson, insane cutting ability on shorter stuff,  whatever. But you need a go to.

 

I think this is spot on & something our current group is missing. Davis is sortve a guy that does everything well but nothing sticks out. Taylor definitely has the afterburners to beat people deep but right now he's just not consistent enough making the catch. I think we could really use an outside guy that does one thing really well, and there's a bunch of them:

 

Metcalf-awesome specimen, goes after the ball violently

 

Hollywood-DJax like deep speed & is also excellent after the catch 

 

Arcega-Whiteside-amazing jump ball player

 

Isabella-electric speed & deep threat

 

Emanual Hall-see Isabella

 

Hakeem Butler-amazing size for downfield contests passes

 

Deebo & Parris Campbell-YAC

 

This is an exciting group & I think some of these guys will really help their teams as rookies with their "Trump cards" even if they need further development.

I think CD is a jack of all trades type of dude, which is, IMO, what you want from your number 1. I’m super intrigued by Isabella. Wherever he goes, I’ll follow his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think CD is a jack of all trades type of dude, which is, IMO, what you want from your number 1. I’m super intrigued by Isabella. Wherever he goes, I’ll follow his career. 

I'd love to pick up Isabella... i dont think he's on our boards though, we havent met with him a single time and he seems to be outside of JRob's Ht/Wt minimums. 

 He's also a jack of all trades but limited in size. Makes up for it everywhere else though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Arcega-Whiteside is truly the next Julio or Evans, then sign me up for tickets.

That's one thing we missed last year with Matthews gone, was a WR that could and would fight for the catch and win with consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justafan   
7 hours ago, titanruss said:

I'd love to pick up Isabella... i dont think he's on our boards though, we havent met with him a single time and he seems to be outside of JRob's Ht/Wt minimums. 

 He's also a jack of all trades but limited in size. Makes up for it everywhere else though.

 

 

He's a slot type WR.  We have a Humphries and we have other guys who can play in the slot.  It wouldn't make much sense to draft a guy in two who isn't ideal on the outside.

 

4 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

If Arcega-Whiteside is truly the next Julio or Evans, then sign me up for tickets.

That's one thing we missed last year with Matthews gone, was a WR that could and would fight for the catch and win with consistency.

Arcega rounds out what the Titans don't have.  He's not a blazer but he's physical and gets open and he makes the darn catch.  He projects as an outstanding #2 WR.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   

I mean, why throw the ball to this guy?  Let's just say him and all of our other WRs can't do stuff, draft more WRs, neglect to throw them the ball and then say that they can't do stuff.  This is a fun process 

 

 

1525059348_043018C01-Corey-Davis-WEB_t350_h9bc2d12639b3c93f6bb33f502dba89a99eef35ea.jpg

9c76e6dc-ebc5-4c40-8336-608038d849a3-_ND53461.jpeg

fa02039bd10c6ffe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justafan said:

He's a slot type WR.  We have a Humphries and we have other guys who can play in the slot.  It wouldn't make much sense to draft a guy in two who isn't ideal on the outside.

 

Arcega rounds out what the Titans don't have.  He's not a blazer but he's physical and gets open and he makes the darn catch.  He projects as an outstanding #2 WR.  

I agree in that we need a deep threat with size. 

 

I just think isabella is the smartest and most polished route runner with the most elite speed/agility skill set and could be the best WR in this draft but he’s predicted to go later than most because of his height and skin color. 

 

If he’s still there in the 4th I’d be livid if we dont go after him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...