Preseason Game Number Three--STEELERS

Number9

Pittsburgh Steelers at Tennessee Titans: The Sunday night cap to Week 3 on Aug. 25 (NBC, 8 p.m.) might be our best look at a Steelers offense post-Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown before the real team takes the field in the regular season.

This game was an interesting selection by Vrabel.  Why have Mariota play the one team that is his nemesis?  Belichick wants to play the Titans, makes sense.  Vrabel choses the Steelers.  Who was is @Face or @nine who suggested Vrab was trying to get Mariota hurt last season?  I remember his first outing against the Steelers.  I was in Las Vegas, talking smack about the beat down the Titans were getting ready to lay on the Steelers.  I still remember the way the dealer, a Steelers fan looked at me a few minutes into the game.  Like I was something so pitiful only @OILERMAN would make fun of it.  But I wasn't down on my QB, shit happens.  I praised all his other efforts and just chalked it up as an anomaly.  

drop

terrible interception overthrow

1st down

1st down 

1st

1st

screen

inches short of first

screen

decent swing pass short of first

drop

completion

drop

dumpoff

1st

terrible route on a timing curl - picked

screen

great deep bomb TD

great deep ball

1st

dropped TD

screen 

first

kendall wright not looking - near pick

incomplete. walker seems to take the blame, mariota should have thrown deeper past the sticks even though the depth is probably more than the play calls for. 

dumpoff

---- down 20 points now with <12min to go

50/50 ball thrown and bounces off reciever - picked

----- down 23 with 4 min to go

good completion

drop/missed PI

throwaway

throwaway

dumpoff

first

first

completion

incompletion

bad pass by mariota - pick

13 hours ago, titanruss said:

drop

terrible interception overthrow

1st down

1st down 

1st

1st

screen

inches short of first

screen

decent swing pass short of first

drop

completion

drop

dumpoff

1st

terrible route on a timing curl - picked

screen

great deep bomb TD

great deep ball

1st

dropped TD

screen 

first

kendall wright not looking - near pick

incomplete. walker seems to take the blame, mariota should have thrown deeper past the sticks even though the depth is probably more than the play calls for. 

dumpoff

---- down 20 points now with <12min to go

50/50 ball thrown and bounces off reciever - picked

----- down 23 with 4 min to go

good completion

drop/missed PI

throwaway

throwaway

dumpoff

first

first

completion

incompletion

bad pass by mariota - pick

I think in 2017, I would have rated this as a great post.  Mariota was my guy.  The problem today is even when he had a game so horrible that all the networks were down on him, you post what happened like Mariota didn't absolutely throw the game away.  The game was out of reach for our offense for most of the second half, so completions were easier.  

The next time he faced the Steelers, even though it was a preseason game he lost him composure.  He was discombobulated, threw several terrible passes in less than 10 attempts, had a pick and risked his health trying to tackle a defender.  He lost it in a preseason game and that's when I saw this guy isn't going to get it.  You guys always compare him to Brady, Rodgers and other great FHOF players-but never have you seen one of them lose their composure in PS.  I saw then his frustration was because he could run ML's offense.

I get called crazy, but I have a perception of events that maybe are not apparent to others.  Just in the short time he exhibited another flaw he had never shown before.  He tried  to make Davis look like the guilty party on one of his bad throws.  He had never done this before.  It was frightening.  Most people laughed and tried to sweep it under the rug, but this guy couldn't run this fancy offense we were getting.  Go back to Taywan 49 yard run in PSG2. that's the kind of explosive plays ML was drawing up.  But the ball has to be in the right spot and at the right time for these plays to work.  Mariota can't do that, so for all of 2019 the Titans offense never resembled the Rams offense.

People can come up with every excuse in the book, but before the season started we were supposed to become more explosive and score more points.  If not, why even bring in Matt Lefleur?  Mariota was so bad at trying to run the offense, they reverted to Smash Mouth.

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

I think in 2017, I would have rated this as a great post.  Mariota was my guy.  The problem today is even when he had a game so horrible that all the networks were down on him, you post what happened like Mariota didn't absolutely throw the game away.  The game was out of reach for our offense for most of the second half, so completions were easier.  

The next time he faced the Steelers, even though it was a preseason game he lost him composure.  He was discombobulated, threw several terrible passes in less than 10 attempts, had a pick and risked his health trying to tackle a defender.  He lost it in a preseason game and that's when I saw this guy isn't going to get it.  You guys always compare him to Brady, Rodgers and other great FHOF players-but never have you seen one of them lose their composure in PS.  I saw then his frustration was because he could run ML's offense.

I get called crazy, but I have a perception of events that maybe are not apparent to others.  Just in the short time he exhibited another flaw he had never shown before.  He tried  to make Davis look like the guilty party on one of his bad throws.  He had never done this before.  It was frightening.  Most people laughed and tried to sweep it under the rug, but this guy couldn't run this fancy offense we were getting.  Go back to Taywan 49 yard run in PSG2. that's the kind of explosive plays ML was drawing up.  But the ball has to be in the right spot and at the right time for these plays to work.  Mariota can't do that, so for all of 2019 the Titans offense never resembled the Rams offense.

People can come up with every excuse in the book, but before the season started we were supposed to become more explosive and score more points.  If not, why even bring in Matt Lefleur?  Mariota was so bad at trying to run the offense, they reverted to Smash Mouth.

it wasnt a judgement post... just a record of what the tape showed. 

judge how you will. my posts showed nothing but the result of the plays. 

i posted it as there is also much good to go along with much bad. 

bad including ....

there were legitimately 5 passes from mariota that were picked or should have been picked. of those:

2 were definitely his fault

2 are debatable because we dont know where the receiver was supposed to go. but 1 looks like its pretty much all on the WR. 

1 was a bobble that is squarely on the WR

he also missed walker badly on one pass that seems to be one of his issues of playing strictly how the play is designed rather than taking the opportunity for more yards.

there was also 5 drops ... 

3 of which were easy catches and two where a defender was there but it still should have been caught in the NFL. 

he never tried to blame davis for anything. it was two people discussing what they thought should happen on a play... mariota thought he should continue the route... davis saw the hole and went there. the discussion occurred because this "fancy offense" we are running was supposed to take 18 months to learn... you are discussing a play in preseason week 3. you cant have it both ways. you cant have an offense that takes a long time to learn... then complain when it isnt understood immediately and all players arent agreeing on what to do with under a full game of preseason starter reps. 

49 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

and that is exactly what a crazy person would say!

You mean you don't see dead people?

What I meant by my statement was he was frustrated and appeared in over his head.  Compare that to his rookie camp where he went nearly the entire camp without a pick.  Turning pro, learning to play from under center and learning a new offense, he walked on the field like a badass.  And he was a badass.  He opened the season setting a rookie record for TDs and looking like the best rookie since Luck.  

But three years later, that was not the player on the field.  He lost his mojo.  If you couldn't see that, I guess that's why you can't see dead people.  @titanruss says it takes 18 months to learn the offense.  OK.  So, I'm guessing ML I don't throw the entire playbook at them in PS.  If he was that stupid, he would have never gotten one of the elite HC jobs in the NFL after OC a team that scored less than 20 pts a game.  His didn't throw his whole playbook at Marcus either.  They were just running some scripted plays in the first drive anyway.

I could have been wrong to say what I said after a preseason game, but I was willing to put it out there and take the heat.  ML had to scrap his offense because Mariota couldn't throw the ball accurately and on time.  That's why our offense didn't even start resembling the Rams offense.  That's something nobody seems to notice because they are too busy making excuses.  You like to use Brady and Rodgers as examples.  Do you think either of them could have done better and got the 2019 Titans to the playoffs?  Honest answer.

Edited by Number9

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

You mean you don't see dead people?

What I meant by my statement was he was frustrated and appeared in over his head.  Compare that to his rookie camp where he went nearly the entire camp without a pick.  Turning pro, learning to play from under center and learning a new offense, he walked on the field like a badass.  And he was a badass.  He opened the season setting a rookie record for TDs and looking like the best rookie since Luck.  

But three years later, that was not the player on the field.  He lost his mojo.  If you couldn't see that, I guess that's why you can't see dead people.  @titanruss says it takes 18 months to learn the offense.  OK.  So, I'm guessing ML I don't throw the entire playbook at them in PS.  If he was that stupid, he would have never gotten one of the elite HC jobs in the NFL after OC a team that scored less than 20 pts a game.  His didn't throw his whole playbook at Marcus either.  They were just running some scripted plays in the first drive anyway.

I could have been wrong to say what I said after a preseason game, but I was willing to put it out there and take the heat.  ML had to scrap his offense because Mariota couldn't throw the ball accurately and on time.  That's why our offense didn't even start resembling the Rams offense.  That's something nobody seems to notice because they are too busy making excuses.  You like to use Brady and Rodgers as examples.  Do you think either of them could have done better and got the 2019 Titans to the playoffs?  Honest answer.

I didn’t say it takes 18 months to learn the offense...Dan orvlovsky said it takes 18 months

23 hours ago, titanruss said:

the discussion occurred because this "fancy offense" we are running was supposed to take 18 months to learn... you are discussing a play in preseason week 3. you cant have it both ways. you cant have an offense that takes a long time to learn... then complain when it isnt understood immediately 

I think ML would build out his playbook out and not go out there calling plays his players didn’t know the first drive.  But my disillusionment came from having heard the stories about Mariota not looking good and missing throws in camp. Then whap!

We are going into a new season, a new beginning. l just wonder why Vrabel would choose the Steelers since last year’s PS and the regular season game were two of his worst outings. 

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

I think ML would build out his playbook out and not go out there calling plays his players didn’t know the first drive.  But my disillusionment came from having heard the stories about Mariota not looking good and missing throws in camp. Then whap!

We are going into a new season, a new beginning. l just wonder why Vrabel would choose the Steelers since last year’s PS and the regular season game were two of his worst outings. 

Had everything to do with mariota throwing the ball as the play was designed and CD running to a spot because he saw the TD. 

It was a miscommunication that comes from not being comfortable yet in the playbook. 

Its simple as that 

25 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Had everything to do with mariota throwing the ball as the play was designed and CD running to a spot because he saw the TD. 

It was a miscommunication that comes from not being comfortable yet in the playbook. 

Its simple as that 

All I said at first was I had then and never since seen Mariota go put blame of a receiver for running the wrong way.  That's just how it appeared to anyone watching because the QB is the leader.  If Brady did the exact same thing, viewers would see it as him telling his target he ran the wrong way.  Again, he was not comfortable and I think it was obvious to anyone watching.  IMO, he was frustrated because he couldn't run the offense the way it needed to be run.  This is why our offense in 2019 never resembled what we were so excited to be getting.

15 hours ago, Number9 said:

if vrabel did choose the Steelers it's probably so he can blitz the fuck out of them on every fuckin play in a fucking pre-season game the same way they did us.