The Taywan Taylor Thread

Huston

20 minutes ago, Face said:

BTW is it me or did we call some really long passes last year, air yards I mean. Marcus threw a few bombs last year that covered over 60 yards. The one to Davis against Philly was an absolute space shot.

If it means anything Mariota was #3 in terms of air yards (per completion) under Mularkey both years.

http://www.footballperspective.com/jameis-winston-carson-wentz-and-marcus-mariota-are-the-new-gunslingers/

He was down 1.4 air yards per attempt this previous year, but your point is not really commenting on entire offense so yards per attempt isn't an important factor. Just leaving the stats here

I would be curious to know the amount of attempts of 40+ air yards or so but doubtful that they'd be too different

Edited by wiscotitansfan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taylor was doomed when Bongo said he would be better than Davis.

This guy is a good follow, usually has vids I dont see anywhere else.    

Taywan has a really nice skill set and is nimble after the catch;  he just has to develop greater consistency than he’s shown thus far.     Every receiver has a bad drop once in a while.  Bu

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Face said:

That play was most definitely a poor choice to pin on Taylor, I don't know how a flag wasn't thrown there. He had his face mask pulled & his hands interfered with.

That said, calling that pass inaccurate is about as picky as it gets. He threw that ball a long way on the money. It was ever so slightly underthrown. 9/10 that's a 55 yard PI.

Considering that Taylor had two steps on the DB and had to slow up for the ball, yes it was underthrown.  I'm not killing Mariota for it but there's no way Taylor should be getting blamed for it, especially when he was clearly interfered with.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:16 AM, BudAdams said:

Seriously? 

The Chargers drop was about as brutal a drop as it gets.  Saying that....

The Miami throw had him completely extended and the ball popped out when he hit the ground. Could he have caught it?  Sure.  Could Mariota have thrown it where it didn't require full extension to reach it? 

The Philly ball - first off the replay shows the CB hitting Taylor's head a second before the ball did.  Second, the ball was offline given that pattern - it should have been hitting his hands not his head.

No he couldn’t have. It was perfect and no room to throw it elsewhere. 

The philly ball? Are you serious? It hit him in the goddam face and you are asking for better placement?  Was it as perfect as the Miami ball that you somehow claim could have been thrown better? No.. was it a very catchable ball within the receivers catch radius downfield? Absolutely. 

Retarded shit again. 

6 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Considering that Taylor had two steps on the DB and had to slow up for the ball, yes it was underthrown.  I'm not killing Mariota for it but there's no way Taylor should be getting blamed for it, especially when he was clearly interfered with.

The Philly throw was slightly under thrown, but you discredit yourself when you say anything about the Miami throw. It was perfect and the DB held at the last second. If the DB doesn’t hold it hits him in perfect stride. 

On the Philly throw if someone wants to snivel because he was interfered with, fine, okay the DB hosed him, and he got outplayed.

But when a ball is thrown 54 yards through the air and hits the receiver in the helmet, if that isn't accurate enough for you, you're fucked in the head.  You can't possibly understand how this game is played.

You guys like to measure Mariota against Rodgers and Brady and Luck. 

Well then, let's try measuring Taylor against Julio or Mike Evans or OBJ.  Any one of those 3 would have come down with that ball. 

Hell, Rishard Matthews outdueled Eric Berry for a 50/50 ball with worse position than Taylor had, in the 2016 freezer game in KC!

Philly had no one in their secondary last season on par with Berry in 2016.

That's fucking laughable.

Taylor is fast, and that's his only claim to fame.  He has to improve his game at the catch point.  From a concentration/hands standpoint, and from the perspective of physicality.

Taylor has a long ways to go.  I question the football IQ of anyone who can't clearly see that.  Having said that, he flashed and he did have some production in a run-first offense.  I hope he takes another step this offseason. 

8 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

On the Philly throw if someone wants to snivel because he was interfered with, fine, okay the DB hosed him, and he got outplayed.

But when a ball is thrown 54 yards through the air and hits the receiver in the helmet, if that isn't accurate enough for you, you're fucked in the head.  You can't possibly understand how this game is played.

You guys like to measure Mariota against Rodgers and Brady and Luck. 

Well then, let's try measuring Taylor against Julio or Mike Evans or OBJ.  Any one of those 3 would have come down with that ball. 

Hell, Rishard Matthews outdueled Eric Berry for a 50/50 ball with worse position than Taylor had, in the 2016 freezer game in KC!

Philly had no one in their secondary last season on par with Berry in 2016.

That's fucking laughable.

Taylor is fast, and that's his only claim to fame.  He has to improve his game at the catch point.  From a concentration/hands standpoint, and from the perspective of physicality.

You are the biased idiot.  The film clearly shows that it was underthrown to the point that the separation disappeared and the DB was able to interfere with him.  I already stated that I'm not killing Mariota given it's generally a low percentage throw by nature.  Given that, it sure as fuck isn't Taylor's fault on that play. 

And yes we measure Mariota against the elite QB's because he was drafted #2 overall with the expectations of being elite. 

Taylor is a third round pick - he's not in the class of OBJ or Julio Jones.  If anyone has those types of expectations, it would be of Davis.

9 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The Philly throw was slightly under thrown, but you discredit yourself when you say anything about the Miami throw. It was perfect and the DB held at the last second. If the DB doesn’t hold it hits him in perfect stride. 

That play is designed for Taylor to be completely stretched out to catch a ball right before hitting the ground?  Perhaps if that was at the back of the end zone but right there, not IMO

It was catchable, sure, but there was a degree of difficulty there based on the ball placement.  I don't consider that type of play the same as a pure drop like the Charger game.  I'd like to see Taylor come up with that one but I'd like to see him not have to dive for it either.

9 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

3 hours ago, Justafan said:

Taylor has a long ways to go.  I question the football IQ of anyone who can't clearly see that.  Having said that, he flashed and he did have some production in a run-first offense.  I hope he takes another step this offseason. 

I question the football IQ of anyone who doesn't realize that this is the case with the majority of young receivers.  People are knocking him for being inconsistent.  Well, no shit.  And to add to the stupidity, they want to draft another WR who will , in all likelihood, be inconsistent or ineffective altogether.  He should make a jump next year.  If he doesn't, we'll know more about him.  But he's progressing, so far so good

35 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

14 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Unbelievable the lengths some fans go to try and prove a guy sucks who isn't even below average in drops.  Taylor had one dink off his hands and it was a horrible drop.  Fine.  The Philly play was underthrown by 10 fing yards.  If people can't see that.  The reason he was interfered with was because he had to slow down and the defenders caught up with him.  Then we have the endzone play where he doesn't make the diving grab.  Probably a pretty high degree of difficulty.  Probably one of the years best catches if he makes it.  But he sucks because he didn't get it?

Taylor's main issue is that he simply lacks length and ht.  The skill set and speed are there but he isn't going to jump over the top of people being shorter, with shorter arms and only a 33 inch vertical.  His lack of length also hurts him on diving catches.  Shitty hands is not his worst trait. 

Now the argument Matthews was a 7th round pick and would have caught a difficult pass speaks to Matthews being pretty good for a 7th round pick.  Has nothing to do with Taylor.  But either way people on here having a fing coronary arguing how much Taylor sucks, and then being imbecile at the same time, is unnerving. 

Taylor's arm length is actually quite good for his size.  Same arm length as D. Adams, who is considered to have long arms, and bigger hands.  

We've seen Taylor make diving catches.  I've seen him reach outside his frame to grab a couple, one of which I believe was illustrate in the Twitter thread.  Just bad technique that he reverts to , which I believe is just a nervous habit which can be overcome with experience.  You don't really see the drops in preseason, and I don't recall them ever being mentioned in camp.  Just needs to get more comfortable out there

3 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Maybe maybe not.  None of that changes the fact that the expectations for Mariota are higher because he was the #2 overall pick.

When it comes to QB accuracy, if hitting a running receiver in the head from 54 yards away isn't enough for you, maybe you shouldn't be deciding who gets picked at #2.

Or #200 for that matter.

9 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

When it comes to QB accuracy, if hitting a running receiver in the head from 54 yards away isn't enough for you, maybe you shouldn't be deciding who gets picked at #2.

Or #200 for that matter.

OK genius.  Explain how Taylor is at fault on that play when he had to slow up for the ball only to be blatantly interfered with right before the ball arrived?  You are the one ripping Taylor for the play when the failure of it was an uncalled penalty and a slightly underthrown ball.  If the pass is perfect, Taylor catches it in stride and goes for a TD.

Regardless, one play isn't the referendum on the Mariota pick.  It's the entire body of work and to date, he's been a disappointment.  He'd be on his second contract for this season instead of the 5th year option if he was a Rodgers or Luck.  He's been among the worst QB's in football the last 2 years when it comes to producing TD's.  That is, when he's not in the lineup because he's made of glass.

8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

OK genius.  Explain how Taylor is at fault on that play when he had to slow up for the ball only to be blatantly interfered with right before the ball arrived?  You are the one ripping Taylor for the play when the failure of it was an uncalled penalty and a slightly underthrown ball.  If the pass is perfect, Taylor catches it in stride and goes for a TD.

Regardless, one play isn't the referendum on the Mariota pick.  It's the entire body of work and to date, he's been a disappointment.  He'd be on his second contract for this season instead of the 5th year option if he was a Rodgers or Luck.  He's been among the worst QB's in football the last 2 years when it comes to producing TD's.  That is, when he's not in the lineup because he's made of glass.

I'm not ripping anyone but you.  For calling out Marcus on a throw that went 54 yards through the air, and hit the receiver in the head.

Buy a clue dumbass.  All receivers adjust to balls thrown that far.  As a matter of fact, they get lauded for their ability to do so.

But the very fact that the ball was thrown that far with that degree of accuracy should have you realizing that a more capable receiver would have come away with a reception.  Did he get mugged?  Yeah you could say that I guess.  But there's plenty of receivers who would have made that catch, and I happen to believe Rishard is one of those.

Look, catch radius is considered a good thing.  But getting hit in the head with the football requires zero catch "radius."  It's a fucking dime. 

Then there's the fact that you don't know where Taylor was supposed to be exactly.  This is a spot throw system.  Marcus has shown all his career that he's good at hitting the spot.

Like I said before, a more physical receiver would have made that catch.  A receiver better at body positioning would have made that catch.

Taylor is neither of those at this point in his career.

So gee, we're sorry that Mariota didn't run down there and kick ass on a safety or two so Taylor could make the catch on a ball that HIT HIM IN THE HEAD.