Sign in to follow this  
Huston

The Taywan Taylor Thread

abc2330   
26 minutes ago, nine said:

55 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

This thread is pure masturbation material for @abc2330

I'll make sure to be alone when I see the first Tannehill/Taylor connection.  

6 minutes ago, Titan8425 said:

SCREW TITAN WR's with POTENTIAL.  There's always one on this team that people defend that should go.  Hell, some even defend them after they go to the next team, and out of the league.

Hey Touched The Tard, got home early tonight for the game party. You going to be available for your normal abuse? 

abc2330   

In summary, our #3 WR should be able to:

1) Consistently separate against All-Pro CBs

2)  Catch Everything

3)  Have a never-ending catch radius

4) Make CBs his bitch in contested catch situations

Better get to the lab and start working so we can make sure we have this adequate #3 WR before next season

Omar   

He improved quite a bit from year one to year two, he has shown he can play, and still has tons of potential. 

abc2330   
4 minutes ago, Supernope said:

hot garbage.  can't stand him.  makes me nauseous every Sunday.  invisible when he's not dropping balls or running the wrong direction.  least favorite WR since Hunter.

He was #22 in yards per route run.  You don't know anything.

14 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

He was #22 in yards per route run.  You don't know anything.

The only good thing about TayTay is he will be a barometer for how willing jrob is to identify his whiffs and move on.  At least Dodd had the gimpy excuse.    

Mythos27   
2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

In summary, our #3 WR should be able to:

1) Consistently separate against All-Pro CBs

2)  Catch Everything

3)  Have a never-ending catch radius

4) Make CBs his bitch in contested catch situations

Better get to the lab and start working so we can make sure we have this adequate #3 WR before next season

If all Taylor ever is for us is a #3 receiver then that won't bode very well for his career. I'm sure he expects more from himself than to be the #3 receiver and in reality, the #5-6 option  in an offense that barely throws and lacks elite offensive talent. We certainly expect more from him than that and so should you. In relation to your hyperbolic list; I'd settle for just getting item #2 taken care of.

abc2330   
26 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

If all Taylor ever is for us is a #3 receiver then that won't bode very well for his career. I'm sure he expects more from himself than to be the #3 receiver and in reality, the #5-6 option  in an offense that barely throws and lacks elite offensive talent. We certainly expect more from him than that and so should you. In relation to your hyperbolic list; I'd settle for just getting item #2 taken care of.

I think it's pretty unfair to dismiss Davis, Walker, Humphries, Henry and Lewis-assuming they play as they have at their peaks.  Davis and Walker would have big roles anywhere, one had a big role at the best team in the league and another was wanted by them.  And it's not his fault that they don't pass much.  I don't see KC cutting down their passing if he were to play WR3

4 hours ago, Supernope said:

The only good thing about TayTay is he will be a barometer for how willing jrob is to identify his whiffs and move on.  At least Dodd had the gimpy excuse.    

Idk if you can say that Taylor really built on his rookie year, but he did manage to double his receptions and yards on 3 fewer games played.

A lot of receivers in the league sometimes take 3 years to really get on track. When you take into consideration that he went from being the #4 option to roughly the 2nd option in year two with the injury to DW and the quittery of Diva Matthews, if he was a guy who was going to take a while then you really needed to expect what we've gotten from him so far.

With Delanie back, Corey about to go nuclear on opposing secondaries, and Humphries in the fold to help take focus off those two then Taylor should be primed for a breakout season as the 3rd guy in the rotation if he's been keepingon top of his game and working hard. 3-wide sets have a lot of potential this year.

I have not been shy about admitting my disappointment in TT previously. He simply hasn’t shown he is capable of starting in the NFL thus far. He has some pretty good athleticism but has struggled to produce. 

I still hold out hope that Taylor will improve going into his 3rd year but I don’t think they should count on him to be the #3 WR. Draft a WR on day 2. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

I have not been shy about admitting my disappointment in TT previously. He simply hasn’t shown he is capable of starting in the NFL thus far. He has some pretty good athleticism but has struggled to produce. 

I still hold out hope that Taylor will improve going into his 3rd year but I don’t think they should count on him to be the #3 WR. Draft a WR on day 2. 

Brown, Isabella, etc. If we do draft someone I just hope it's someone with speed to burn. Taylor has speed, but not the kind that strikes fear.

nine   

IMO, the videos offer a strong, objective representation of Taylor's first two years.   They show reason to be optimistic about his future...and also where he's struggled and where improvement is needed.

Given his overall skill set, I find it unlikely that he's maxed out his potential and peaked after only two years.   

It's also worth noting that Taylor finished strong after an otherwise mediocre season....so perhaps he turned a corner.

• Sept-Oct-Nov:   8 games,  21 rec, 214 yards, 10.2 avg....longest play:  19 yards
  • December:   5 games, 16 rec, 252 yards, 15.75 avg....3 catches of 30+ yards.  (35, 44, 55 yds)

There's also a crazy disparity in Taylor's statistical splits for 2018.   His numbers on first down were amazing, second downs were awful, 3rd-4th down are "meh":

• 1st down:   92% catch rate, 14.0 yds/rec  (27 targets, 25 rec)
  • 2nd down:  20% catch rate, 7.1 yds/rec ( 10 tgt, 2 rec)
  • 3rd down:   52% catch rate (17 tgt, 9 rec)
  • 4th down:  50% catch rate, 19 yds/rec (2 tgt, 1 rec)

Some interesting-but-meaningless factoids:

• Of his 56 receptions in 2018, Taylor had three plays of 30+ yards and a dozen plays of 10-19 yards.....but not a single catch in the 20-29 yard range.
  • His three longest plays of the season (35, 44, and 55 yards) all happened in December.  All three came on first down with the Titans trailing in the fourth quarter.

OILERMAN   

Taylor came on the same time Henry did. It's more than natural for a rookie WR to come into his own in the 3rd year. Will he? No idea but it's more than possible. 

He's the best option to start opposite of Davis in the heavy sets 

Mythos27   
8 hours ago, abc2330 said:

I think it's pretty unfair to dismiss Davis, Walker, Humphries, Henry and Lewis-assuming they play as they have at their peaks.  Davis and Walker would have big roles anywhere, one had a big role at the best team in the league and another was wanted by them.  And it's not his fault that they don't pass much.  I don't see KC cutting down their passing if he were to play WR3

The only one of the guys you mention that has ever been elite is Delanie and that was when Taylor was a rookie. My statement is accurate. My point isn't that it's Taylor's fault, my point is that it is fair for people to be critical of Taylor because he simply needs to be better to actually become the impactful NFL player he wants to be. Becoming defensive over criticism of Taywan Taylor doesn't make much sense at this point. People are asking for a lot because he has a lot to prove.