OILERMAN

Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen resigning

Rolltide   
13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Who is for open borders?

Every democrat presidential candidate except Bernie Sanders. 

Rolltide   

The issue for me is the massive number of people we have to process now. A million Central Americans migrating to our border a year and 100,000 applying for asylum. 

That's what is going on right now! The entire population of Guatemala, el Salvador and Honduras is 31 million and 3% of the people in those countries are assaulting our border every year and we have to be responsible for them? 

How does that jive with universal health care? You mean we have to provide free health care to half of Central America and Mexico? In addition to public education?

That's why I'm for barriers now. If they knew they could not get in they would not be migrating hundreds of miles to get here. Work on a guest worker program that allows 250,000-300,000 vetted people to come here and work every year. Pass the dream act and immigration reform. 

ctm   

There are approximately 1000 miles of the US border in the middle of the Rio Grande River.  The existing fence/wall/barrier is thus north of the actual border line.  In some cases a considerable distance.

Once any immigrant places a foot on US territory, they are entitled to legally claim asylum.  Which means they can be on US territory south of the barrier, give themselves up to border patrol agents and claim asylum and go thru the legal process.  The wall or any further extension of the wall does nothing to solve this problem.

This has been posted here on numerous occasions.  A wall doesn't solve the problem of asylum seekers.  The country is facing an entirely different problem from 2015 when Trump came down the escalator and spoke about Mexico sending their worst.

This is happening on Trump's watch.  It's his signature issue.  It's his job to fix it. Firing a bunch of people that he hired won't do it.  He needs a policy solution.

I alone can fix it.

Rolltide   
2 hours ago, ctm said:

There are approximately 1000 miles of the US border in the middle of the Rio Grande River.  The existing fence/wall/barrier is thus north of the actual border line.  In some cases a considerable distance.

Once any immigrant places a foot on US territory, they are entitled to legally claim asylum.  Which means they can be on US territory south of the barrier, give themselves up to border patrol agents and claim asylum and go thru the legal process.  The wall or any further extension of the wall does nothing to solve this problem.

This has been posted here on numerous occasions.  A wall doesn't solve the problem of asylum seekers.  The country is facing an entirely different problem from 2015 when Trump came down the escalator and spoke about Mexico sending their worst.

This is happening on Trump's watch.  It's his signature issue.  It's his job to fix it. Firing a bunch of people that he hired won't do it.  He needs a policy solution.

I alone can fix it.

Border control agents are not under obligation to apprehend anybody. Just because a person is past that imaginary line doesn't mean they are in the country. If they want to claim asylum they should enter through an official border crossing or port. 

Rolltide   
2 hours ago, oldschool said:

Typical lie from the resident angry white guy. Let me help you with the truth... not a single democrat candidate is for open borders. 

Bullshit. Beto wants to take down all barriers and just let people in and then they want to protect even those who have committed violent crime while here and they want to shut down ICE. 

They have more regard for the rights of Hondurans or El Salvadorans than Americans. They even blame us for why these countries are poor and violent. 

Rolltide   

Based on the logic of libtard it is immoral and racist to put people in our jails and prisons because they are separated from their kids and living in cages. 

ctm   
1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Border control agents are not under obligation to apprehend anybody. Just because a person is past that imaginary line doesn't mean they are in the country. If they want to claim asylum they should enter through an official border crossing or port. 

What you think they should have to do and the law are two different things.

If they get on US soil, they can claim asylum.

I still haven't heard how Trump is going to solve the problem.

3 hours ago, ctm said:

What you think they should have to do and the law are two different things.

If they get on US soil, they can claim asylum.

I still haven't heard how Trump is going to solve the problem.

Actually that's not true.

The "law" of asylum says they are allowed to claim asylum in the first country not their native land.  For Guatemalans and Hondurans and El Salvadorians, they stepped foot in a different country long before they reached U.S. soil.

Furthermore, if they want to claim asylum they need to apply for it at a Port of Entry, not just anywhere along the border when they cross over onto U.S. soil.

Obama cited this as part of the reasoning for abolishing the "wet foot/dry foot" policy pertaining to Cubans who reached our shores, implemented by Clinton in the '90s.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/12/obama-ends-wet-foot-dry-foot-policy-cubans/96505172/

"Effective immediately, Cuban nationals who attempt to enter the United States illegally and do not qualify for humanitarian relief will be subject to removal," Obama said. "By taking this step, we are treating Cuban migrants the same way we treat migrants from other countries."

Justafan   
10 hours ago, oldschool said:

Who is for open borders?

That wasn't directed at anyone so much as me posting my random thoughts.  I haven't seen anyone actually push for open borders, though I know some libertarians and far left factions support open borders or at the very least much looser borders.  

ctm   
1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Actually that's not true.

The "law" of asylum says they are allowed to claim asylum in the first country not their native land.  For Guatemalans and Hondurans and El Salvadorians, they stepped foot in a different country long before they reached U.S. soil.

Furthermore, if they want to claim asylum they need to apply for it at a Port of Entry, not just anywhere along the border when they cross over onto U.S. soil.

Obama cited this as part of the reasoning for abolishing the "wet foot/dry foot" policy pertaining to Cubans who reached our shores, implemented by Clinton in the '90s.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/12/obama-ends-wet-foot-dry-foot-policy-cubans/96505172/

It sounds like to me from reading the article that Obama's policy pertained only to Cuba and their migrants would then receive the same treatment as others.  Not special treatment under Clinton's wet foot policy.

And if migrants from Central America aren't allowed to claim asylum once they reach US soil, then why do we currently have this issue at the border?

Edited by ctm

23 minutes ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

Trump is cleaning house at Homeland Security and is contemplating putting the Secret Service back into the Treasury Dept.

Trump goes through political appointees the same way he goes through wives and mistresses...

begooode   

Divisive tactics are all Trump & Co care about.  And LOL at Nielsen trying to rebuild her image.  

The Trump administration pressured the Department of Homeland Security to release immigrants detained at the southern border into so-called sanctuary cities in part to retaliate against Democrats who oppose President Donald Trump's plans for a border wall, a source familiar with the discussions told CNN on Thursday.

Trump personally pushed Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen to follow through on the plan, the source said. Nielsen resisted and the DHS legal team eventually produced an analysis that killed the plan, which was first reported by The Washington Post. 

White House senior adviser Stephen Miller urged senior DHS officials to make the plan a reality, the source said. The plan finally died after Miller and other White House officials pushed it in February, according to the source.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/11/politics/immigrant-detainees-sanctuary-cities/index.html

Rogue   
On 4/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, Rolltide said:

I love debating with illiterate idiots who use tweets as posts

False.  Demonstrably. You have never once challenged Tux's posts, which is almost purely Twitter posts.  But seriously, does any expect for you to be honest?  Lol. 

The real shame?  I respect real libertarians. You though?  No. You've shown no real Libertarian properties.  You're just angry.  There is no real way to interpret it any differently.