Sign in to follow this  
MIKE75

RB Position Needs Looked At,Better Depth Would Help

MIKE75   

Most fans would probably agree that besides Derrick Henry we don't have much at the RB position and no i didn't forget about Dion Lewis.

I was not happy with Dion Lewis at all last year we could do a lot better in my opinion.

Who wouldnt love a 1-2 running attack like Ingram/Kamara,Chubb/Johnson or Freeman/Coleman.

We all know already ahead of time that we are gonna ride the D-Hen until the damn wheels fall off. BUT you have to think of two things. One of those is that he will need a break here and there and we need at least one good fresh back to do well when Henry is out. Two we always need to be ready just in case of injury.

Another thing is this is Henry's 4th year and last on his rookie contract. Last year was the first time he had over 200 carries and first time over 1,000 yards. Bottom line is Henry still has plenty of tread left on the tires.

Even though we are giving Henry the majority of the carries it would be nice to see the next back do a good job as well.

The one thing we have never had to worry about since day one back in 1999 here in Tennessee is the RB position. Between Eddie George (1999-2003) 5 years and Chris Johnson (2008-2013) 6 years those 2 RB alone played 11 years and 176 games without ever missing any time.

Eddie George and Chris Johnson were the 2 best backs our first 20 years as the Titans in Nashville. Even when they were done there were other good backs holding the fort like Chris Brown and Travis Henry who were good after George left. Brown struggled with injuries but was a good back. After CJ it took a couple years but we finally got a good RB in Derrick Henry.

The top 2 backs in this years 2019 draft are both from 'Bama. Josh Jacobs and Damien Harris are similar in size but Jacobs is the more faster of the two backs.

Justice Hill from Oklahoma State had a very fast 4.40 at the combine. Hill averaged 5.9 yards per carry in 2018 for 930 yards with nine touchdowns. I did read that Hill is undersized  5-10 ,198 pounds.

The one back i've seen getting a lot of love and that we have looked at is Darrell Henderson he is 5-8,210 from Memphis.

Henderson had a fast 40 at the combine 4.49. He decided not to take a shot at 2,000 yards rushing by skipping his bowl game to prepare for the 2019 NFL Draft. He averaged 8.9 yards per carry in 2018 for 1,909 yards with 22 touchdowns.

Another and my personal favorite is Mike Weber from Ohio State he is 5-9, 211 pds and ran a 4.47,Weber averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 2018 for 954 yards with five touchdowns. Weber has a hard running style that showcases natural talent with quickness and strength. He has three-down starting potential with a good skill set of size and speed.

Miles Sanders from Penn State is 5-10, 210 pds, Sanders had a very fast 40 time of 4.49 seconds. He showed athleticism and quick feet with cutting ability to go with his fast 40 time. After serving as the backup to Saquon Barkley early in his career, Sanders averaged 5.8 yards per carry as a senior for 1,274 yards with nine touchdowns.

Bryce Love from Stanford is 5-8, 200 pounds with a projected 40 time of 4.40, Love averaged 8.1 yards per carry for 2,118 yards with 19 touchdowns in 2017 but he was banged up in 2018 and had a torn ACL averaged 4.6 yards per carry for 665 yards with six touchdowns.

Those to me were the main RB in the draft......

Edited by MIKE75

RB depth is not a problem. Could they take a flyer on someone in the 5th or later and push Fluellen, sure. But I doubt hed see much game time without and injury to DH or DL.

Dion is much better than he was last year.

Put him on an actual offense or with a QB who can make quick decisions and watch what he does. 

Would love to get Bryce Love somehow. I believe he's hurt (?). Been going late in mock drafts, but the dude can run and be a speed type back for us. 

8 minutes ago, XFactor808 said:

Would love to get Bryce Love somehow. I believe he's hurt (?). Been going late in mock drafts, but the dude can run and be a speed type back for us. 

Tore his ACL

Lewis will be fine this year being put in his proper role. He doesn’t need to see more than 10-12 touches a game ideally, but he is a weapon that can take over a game when he’s healthy and has gas in the tank. 

We’ve looked at some RBs because it seems there will be big value later in the draft. 

Bryce love and Darrell Henderson are the only ones I’ve looked at and would be fine with either. 

9 hours ago, XFactor808 said:

tore the ACL and everybody not on steroids has a down year the year after recovering. If his speed and cutting ability remains intact - and it should - you look at the pre-injury highlights to see get a decent player evaluation. 

Soxcat   

RB should not be a huge concern but JRob does need to consider taking one if the value is there.  So many of the better RBs are taken in the middle to late rounds and while I like Fluellen's skill set he was an UDFA and there is no reason a mid to late round pick or another UDFA couldn't be brought in to push him.  A guy like Elijah Holyfield late in the draft could be a solid backup or more. 

Soxcat   

And if a diamond in the rough is available late in the draft.......   ahhhh let it go.  We have Lewis and Fluellen.

Mythos27   

I really don't like the idea of using a pick on a RB that likely won't contribute in 2019 but if we're going to plan for a post-Henry future we almost have to do it. Just please no higher than a third...