Sign in to follow this  
TennesseeTuxedo

The Best Healthcare In The World

19 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

A great deal of that was part of the ACA, which ended annual and lifetime caps that insurance companies used to impose. 

That's probably why he has the newer job.

The one he had when this all started had to lay him off because they couldn't afford the insurance premium on him any longer.  His ex boss told him it cost 3-4 times as much to insure him as it did any other employee he'd ever had.

The friend still had one more major surgery ahead of him, and they knew it was going to be a biggie.

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

A public buy-in option would end up with very poor services because everyone would be forced to move into it because the insurance companies would cater to those who wanted only top notch care.  Then you would have very expensive care for the rich people could afford it, really bad care for everyone else, and the doctors would still be getting screwed.

I'm not writing the idea off because I'm making assumptions here and it's certainly better than the system we have now.  I believe we can do better than that though. 

I don’t necessarily disagree, but any form of public option would lead to the private insurers catering to the rich. Any non-profit insurer is going to have droves of people wanting it simply because it should be more affordable.

But I’m not sure how doctors or other services would just stop taking Medicare. If most of the country uses Medicare then most doctors or hospitals or drug companies will have no choice but to accept it. Certainly some doctors could choose not to, but there are already private practices that don’t accept Medicare and can cater to the wealthy. But the fact is, most doctors and drug companies will need to accept the form of insurance that the majority of Americans use.

As El Guapo said, there is no perfect system. But the fact is, the best system is one where everyone is covered and prevents medical costs from being the #1 cause of bankruptcy. Switching to that system will have more bumps in the road, but the for-profit system is unworkable.

Rolltide   
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, TitanDuckFan said:

That's not really true though.

My best friend has Marfan's Syndrome, and he's had a stent installed in his descending Aorta, and then later his entire primary vascular system was been replaced piecemeal. (his whole Aorta, from the root to the femoral arteries). 

He's had a bypass, two heart valves replaced, and later a plug put in where one of them leaked. 

The get to the surgical hospital when this all started (he suffered an Aortic dissection at work) required a Life-Flight to OHSU at a cost of about $95k.

Along the way he had to have all of his teeth removed to prevent any chance of periodontal bacteria in his bloodstream affecting the bonding of the artificial parts, and dentures made. 

He has a total of about 5 linear feel of surgical scars on his upper body and a large one on his thigh.

All this work took place over a period of roughly 2 years.

When this all started he was welding in a fab shop that paid him about $19.00/hr + ins.  Now he makes about $23.00/hr +ins.

And all said and done he has a balance owing of less than $10k, and makes monthly payments.

He's far from rich, and he had access to some of the best care there is and is alive today because of it.

OMG the poor guy. 

MadMax   

Yikes.  That's tough sledding.

Edited by MadMax
misspelled word.

47 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Yikes.  That's tough sledding.

Marfan's sucks, and lots of Marfan's patients die very young.

I have another friend whose son died at 19 when his aorta let go due to an aneurysm in his aortic root.

He hadn't been scanned for aneurysms yet because they don't usually develop at that early of an age.

He had just started college.

MadMax   
1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Marfan's sucks, and lots of Marfan's patients die very young.

I have another friend whose son died at 19 when his aorta let go due to an aneurysm in his aortic root.

He hadn't been scanned for aneurysms yet because they don't usually develop at that early of an age.

He had just started college.

I can't even imagine.

OILERMAN   

I had a supervisor that had Marfan syndrome. He was careflighted from his house to Baylor medical. From what I understand basically your connecting tissue just comes apart, your arteries and everything. I think he was told he'd be lucky to make it to 50. 

A Dr told me that they think Lincoln had it and would have died from it had he not been shot. 

It's got to be up there with ALS as funniest illnesses 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I had a supervisor that had Marfan syndrome. He was careflighted from his house to Baylor medical. From what I understand basically your connecting tissue just comes apart, your arteries and everything. I think he was told he'd be lucky to make it to 50. 

A Dr told me that they think Lincoln had it and would have died from it had he not been shot.

The connective tissue that's supposed to remain flexible and stretchy gets stiff and rigid and starts pulling on the weaker tissues it's supposed to anchor.  So things like artery walls and lesser muscle tissues tear.

Looking at pictures of Lincoln I'm not surprised.

Marfans patients are always tall and lanky, and have long limbs and large hands and feet, usually deformed breastbones, and very high narrow palates, so their upper teeth are usually crooked.

And their eyes are often screwed up with bad lenses, so they tend to have poor eyesight.

OILERMAN   
7 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Marfans patients are always tall and lanky, and have long limbs and large hands and feet, usually deformed breastbones, and very high narrow palates, so their upper teeth are usually crooked.

This describes the supervisor to a tee. 

He was 6-7 with very long arms and fingers. He's really overweight now too