Sign in to follow this  
TennesseeTuxedo

The Best Healthcare In The World

El Guapo   

Yeah, too many times discussion  here turns into namecalling etc. 

health care is a tough nut. Huge part of the economy. A lot of millionaires here in nashville extracting every dollar but docs and patients and nurses get the short end. Any plan or attempt to change or improve would be inundated with lobbying money from parties that would work to keep their profits. I am not optimistic.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:16 AM, TennesseeTuxedo said:

Where’s Cuba?

you're not real smart are ya? You think that you'd get the same care as Mick fucking Jagger??? AHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!! you'll die in a shithole and your family will be massively in debt because of it. 

The USA absolutely has the best institutions for research and cutting edge tech and care... but they are unattainable for 90%+ of the country. .. and that doesnt matter what party you support. 

El Guapo   

Actually, that is not true. Most Americans are insured. Most insurance companies have a HMO system whereby you contract/dictate what the hospital and physician make for a procedure. So if Mick has insurance, the doc will get paid the same as if you were the one getting your valve replaced.

People tout Cuba. Cuban health care sucks. It does what it can with little and the "doctors" are not as well trained as our nurse practitioners. That is why the recent doctors from Cuba who got asylum in the US fail their medical boards at a greater than 90% clip (compared to the 1960's group of MD's). Castro almost died from diverticulitis, a disease and surgery for which they would have done a better job in Tullahoma than Havana.

I will say this, NY Hospitals and the Mayo Clinic are incredibly overrated. Until his recent retirement, arguably the best valve surgeon in the US resided in good ole Nashville.

El Guapo   

Now one could say that insurance is too expensive and they would be correct. We should be getting more bang for the buck. No competition for those companies. In fact, in my next life, if I wanted to be rich, I would start an insurance company. Guaranteed money maker.

Justafan   

Unfortunately, health care is just the most difficult political issue we face.  How in the world do you make it affordable, accessible, high-quality, and fair to everyone?

Someone is going to be on the short end no matter what and insurance companies have profited off the cowardice and lack of innovation of our political leaders.  

OILERMAN   

There needs to be a government/public option. The problem is the profit aspect from the insurance companies 

People would pile into the public option and the private insurance companies would be forced to lower premiums

Justafan   
4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

There needs to be a government/public option. The problem is the profit aspect from the insurance companies 

People would pile into the public option and the private insurance companies would be forced to lower premiums

I'm all for a public option but I'll defer to people who know more about it about what the benefit of that is.  I would think breaking up the insurance companies so that it's more than three or four mega-companies who have all basically sculpted out their target customer audience would do just as much if not more to drive down costs.  

There's a bunch of stuff we could be doing.  The worst thing we could do is nothing, or further tilting the systems to the benefit of the insurance companies, which is precisely what we've been doing for the past two decades.  

Rolltide   

Universal health insurance is doable. When libtards talk about destroying the private health insurance industry there is no valid discussion in my book. People who have insurance through their work would continue that insurance but the management, administration of the insurance would be at the state level and the payment of the premiums would be 70/20/10 federal, state individual. Something like that. Every 2 years we have insurance companies bid for that coverage to keep the prices down. 

For example my wife and I have Aetna coverage through her work. That would continue exactly as the same but her work would not manage the plan the state of Tennessee would and instead of her work paying 70% of the premium the federal government would. . 

This provides a more universal coverage for all citizens that is not tied to work. Why would your health care coverage have to be tied to a job?

Now this would seem to be a boon to employers who no longer have to pay  for their employees insurance and manage the plans but there would be taxes to make up for that. 

Rolltide   
9 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I'm all for a public option but I'll defer to people who know more about it about what the benefit of that is.  I would think breaking up the insurance companies so that it's more than three or four mega-companies who have all basically sculpted out their target customer audience would do just as much if not more to drive down costs.  

There's a bunch of stuff we could be doing.  The worst thing we could do is nothing, or further tilting the systems to the benefit of the insurance companies, which is precisely what we've been doing for the past two decades.  

His public option is bullshit because it would destroy the private health insurance industry which is what most libtards want and what he wants. My plan would have companies competing for business. 

You mentioned that our private for profit system does not work but you are certainly aware that we do have socialized healthcare in this country called Medicare and Medicaid. 

Rolltide   

I'll quote Howard Schultz on this one. He said that the democrats desire to destroy the private health insurance industry is "un American". I agree. 

Justafan   
3 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

His public option is bullshit because it would destroy the private health insurance industry which is what most libtards want and what he wants. My plan would have companies competing for business. 

You mentioned that our private for profit system does not work but you are certainly aware that we do have socialized healthcare in this country called Medicare and Medicaid. 

Okay.  I'm all about innovative ideas.  So what is your plan to get the companies to compete for business?

Rolltide   
1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Okay.  I'm all about innovative ideas.  So what is your plan to get the companies to compete for business?

The states would manage the plans and offer bids for the polices every so often let's say 2 years. It is already like that with companies. My wife was on blue cross at work and they changed to Aetna which for us was better coverage with the same cost.  

Justafan   
Just now, Rolltide said:

The states would manage the plans and offer bids for the polices every so often let's say 2 years. It is already like that with companies. My wife was on blue cross at work and they changed to Aetna which for us was better coverage with the same cost.  

So, if I'm understanding you right, this would be a single payer system but managed by state governments instead of the federal government?

Rolltide   

Something that all people need to understand especially conservatives. 30% of the premium cost for your insurance at work is being paid by you! Your employer on average is paying 70%. I'm not talking about deductibles or co pay I'm talking about the premiums for the insurance only!

That cost is $.9T a year.