Sign in to follow this  
TennesseeTuxedo

The Best Healthcare In The World

Justafan   
4 minutes ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

Where’s Cuba?

So here's my question.  You don't like universal healthcare.  Got it.  What's the solution then?  Free market health care is a disaster right now, so if that is your plan going forward how are you going to fix it because the status quo is absolutely unacceptable.

Opus74   

I dont have any experience with NY.

I'd recommend Nashville's TriStar Centennial, myself.

Been there, done that.

Saved my life, or at least extended it.

Edited by Opus74

9 Nines   
9 minutes ago, Opus74 said:

Yep. If you have a net worth of $350M+ then the US is absolutely the best care in the world.

Are you really that stupid, tux?

Before Twitter he knew nothing. 

18 minutes ago, Opus74 said:

Yep. If you have a net worth of $350M+ then the US is absolutely the best care in the world.

This is it exactly. America is the best medical system in the world... if you’re rich...

15 minutes ago, reo said:

If you can't fix it, lie about it. The GOP motto.

Hey Homers, if you don’t see my tard stick works now you never will. Stupid fuck has been running around all day like a chicken with his head cut off.

1 hour ago, Opus74 said:

Athletes (I'm sure other wealthy ppl) have traveled across seas for treatment quite a bit. And it's been happening for a while. It's no secret. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/american-athletes-go-to-great-lengths-to-recover-from-injury-100611

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

This is it exactly. America is the best medical system in the world... if you’re rich...

Not always the case. America hasnt approved certain medicines/treatments that are great. And that's not to knock Americas knowledge about medicine or what they do for ppl. But there are sometimes better options. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

6 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Not always the case. America hasnt approved certain medicines/treatments that are great. And that's not to knock Americas knowledge about medicine or what they do for ppl. But there are sometimes better options. 

Hey Touched The Tard, if Jesus arrived do you honestly think he could fix your head? “Hey Dad, you’re going to have to give me a hand on this one.” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

36 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Sure, but you’re talking about the exception to the rule. Experimental treatments are easier to get overseas where there aren’t as many restrictions governing their development.

El Guapo   
8 hours ago, Justafan said:

So here's my question.  You don't like universal healthcare.  Got it.  What's the solution then?  Free market health care is a disaster right now, so if that is your plan going forward how are you going to fix it because the status quo is absolutely unacceptable.

We really do not have free market health care. Patients and physicians are squeezed from all directions. Drug costs can be absurd. Insurance companies prevent competition by laws that keep one from crossing state lines. As a doctor, I take various insurances. I have no idea what I get paid from each for various procedures. Overhead is through the roof and climbing. Patients with insurance from work or medicare or medicaid have no idea what that costs and do not need to seek out cheaper care since they pay the same. Etc etc

As for Obamacare or medicaid, my thoughts are this. Imagine if you owned a retail store and what you charged was irrelevant. Customers would have a voucher that would be considered payment in full. Some would have “good insurance” and maybe pay you 80% of your charge. Medicare would pay you 50%. Medicaid/obama might pay you 30%. You have to accept if you participated. No way this is remotely free market.

my plan?

1. Cross state lines for insurance

2. Treat insurance as you would for cars. Not every ding needs to be fixed with insurance- save it for catastrophic costs.

3. High deductible plans to reduce cost and to allow insured to seek out least expensive treatment since they are paying.

4. Subsidize low income earners deductibles

5. HSA starting at birth

6. Allow drugs to come to market as other parts of the world- reduce costs of us laws

7. Tort reform- start loser pays system such as in england.

8. Get rid of Certificate of need which allows hospitals to prevent competition for services that can be provided cheaper in outpt facilities.

anyways... this is a start

Justafan   
1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

We really do not have free market health care. Patients and physicians are squeezed from all directions. Drug costs can be absurd. Insurance companies prevent competition by laws that keep one from crossing state lines. As a doctor, I take various insurances. I have no idea what I get paid from each for various procedures. Overhead is through the roof and climbing. Patients with insurance from work or medicare or medicaid have no idea what that costs and do not need to seek out cheaper care since they pay the same. Etc etc

As for Obamacare or medicaid, my thoughts are this. Imagine if you owned a retail store and what you charged was irrelevant. Customers would have a voucher that would be considered payment in full. Some would have “good insurance” and maybe pay you 80% of your charge. Medicare would pay you 50%. Medicaid/obama might pay you 30%. You have to accept if you participated. No way this is remotely free market.

my plan?

1. Cross state lines for insurance

2. Treat insurance as you would for cars. Not every ding needs to be fixed with insurance- save it for catastrophic costs.

3. High deductible plans to reduce cost and to allow insured to seek out least expensive treatment since they are paying.

4. Subsidize low income earners deductibles

5. HSA starting at birth

6. Allow drugs to come to market as other parts of the world- reduce costs of us laws

7. Tort reform- start loser pays system such as in england.

8. Get rid of Certificate of need which allows hospitals to prevent competition for services that can be provided cheaper in outpt facilities.

anyways... this is a start

If I am reading this, you are a Doctor?  I mean, that gives a better insight into this than any of us have.  I absolutely agree with your plan or at least the parts of it that I understand.  Health Savings Accounts are an especially interesting plan.  

I know this, universal care would be cheaper than the crappy plan we have now but it would also drive down quality and hurt guys like you and stifle the innovation that has made the American market the best in the world that it has been based off a true free market system.

The only issue I have with your suggestion is that the poor in this country tend to be among the most vulnerable in our population.  Getting rid of Medicare is great from a cost perspective as is cutting the Affordable Care Act.  The problem now becomes the fact that grandma can't pay Americans simply aren't going to vote for any system where certain segments of the population simply can't participate in health care because they are so poor.

I think there has to be some type of way for the government to subsidize the low-income earners, as you mentioned, that would allow those people to participate in very basic treatment but still keep the cost down.  I'm not sure that wouldn't blow up some other things we're discussing here.  

My other issue is the treat insurance as you would for cars plan.  I understand competition might drive down some costs but it's still expensive to take your kid to go see the doctor even for minor coughs and stuff.  Average Americans can't afford to spend 200 dollars every time they take their kids to see the doc and then another 150 bucks to go get whatever medicine they prescribe to get rid of the three-day sniffles.  They HAVE to use insurance.  The problem is, they're paying another 150 bucks a month (many times its more than that) for health insurance on top of that.  The administration costs of insurance companies is staggering.

SO, I really like your ideas, and I think this is a better way forward than universal care but it really needs to be debated, tweaked, refined, and made into a better product.  I appreciate your thoughts.  Much more productive than irrational and provocative twitter posts.