Sign in to follow this  
big2033

Titans want to build offense around Derrick Henry

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

"Better" is a relative term. Henry ran like constipation for most of the year.

 

In hindsight maybe both RB would have run better behind a better IOL, but even when Lewis ran like shit there seemed to be an energy and purpose to his running. Henry always seemed like he was just going through the motions.

People say that and I don’t see it. Henry runs smoothly and takes a few steps to get up to speed... so it looks like he’s not trying but he is.  I think he’s also a rhythm runners.. so he needs a few carries to get in the groove. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titanruss said:

People say that and I don’t see it. Henry runs smoothly and takes a few steps to get up to speed... so it looks like he’s not trying but he is.  I think he’s also a rhythm runners.. so he needs a few carries to get in the groove. 

I get what you're saying, but that's not what I'm talking about. Henry looked very ungainly at times last year, even when he didn't have defenders in his face in the backfield. It stuck out to me that way.

 

I hope he builds on his late season break out with the revamped IOL we're about to have but I think with two new starters on the line they may take a little time to gel so we may not see late-2018 Derrick Henry until halfway through October or into November. Maybe sooner. I expect Safford and whoever the new guy is will be better than what we had last year so it may not take as long to gel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Huston said:

Why do you think they are better, your point  was that McNair was the last Titans Qb that was worthy of building an offense around.

 

10 hours ago, Huston said:

What made Steve special was his ability to just make a first down and especially when they needed it, not a td just a first down. I have never looked up the stats or anything but that's what I remember and I see so much if that in Marcus. He is much more brittle then Steve but surprisingly a better passer early on. Steve had a stable old school coaching staff his whole career that held him back but allowed him to be successful by the team being above average defensively invested in the running game and special teams.

Steve was more aggressive downfield, better in the pocket, better outside the pocket, better at going through reads - later in his career - more willing to take risks.

 

Early in his career he'd mostly checkdown to Frank Wychek. He was NOT held back.

 

McNair also elevated a lot of receivers around him including Bennett and Mason.

 

Again, you guys need to stop believing every QB that doesn't succeed is because of some nefarious coaching staff.

 

You have to realize there's a homerism pattern here about who you're blaming and who you're praising.

 

A QB's career is NOT predicated on his staff. Period.

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, big2033 said:

 

Steve was more aggressive downfield, better in the pocket, better outside the pocket, better at going through reads - later in his career - more willing to take risks.

 

Early in his career he'd mostly checkdown to Frank Wychek. He was NOT held back.

 

McNair also elevated a lot of receivers around him including Bennett and Mason.

 

Again, you guys need to stop believing every QB that doesn't succeed is because of some nefarious coaching staff.

 

You have to realize there's a homerism pattern here about who you're blaming and who you're praising.

 

A QB's career is NOT predicated on his staff. Period.

It’s a lot more predicated on the staff than you’re giving the situation credit for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

It’s a lot more predicated on the staff than you’re giving the situation credit for. 

The better the QB, the less the staff can truly have an impact on their overall career. QBs have more of an impact on theirs.

 

Andrew Luck would post numbers regardless of how horrible his coaches, Oline, RB, WRs, or GM were. Injury is what slowed him down, then he came back with a completely new staff and dominated out the gate. You can throw anyone at Luck and he'll succeed.

 

And you knew that, because you could see HE was carrying everyone around him.

 

An offensive coordinator can call any play he likes, but the QB can concentrate on the second read instead of the first one as much as he likes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big2033 said:

The better the QB, the less the staff can truly have an impact on their overall career. QBs have more of an impact on theirs.

 

Andrew Luck would post numbers regardless of how horrible his coaches, Oline, RB, WRs, or GM were. Injury is what slowed him down, then he came back with a completely new staff and dominated out the gate. You can throw anyone at Luck and he'll succeed.

 

And you knew that, because you could see HE was carrying everyone around him.

 

An offensive coordinator can call any play he likes, but the QB can concentrate on the second read instead of the first one as much as he likes. 

I’ll agree that there are outliers, but your premise that a staff doesn’t have much to do with the development is completely off base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I’ll agree that there are outliers, but your premise that a staff doesn’t have much to do with the development is completely off base. 

That's extreme. I never meant that.

 

Obviously they have an impact on their development overall. But I don't subscribe to that fact that a staff can "ruin" a QB or make one great.

 

In the end, all QBs have to make reads, make throws and score points. They've been doing it since high-school. This notion that they can't throw a proper pass with proper feet unless their coach shows them how is ridiculous. 

 

A coach or an offense can help their QB reach their FULL potential, but then the question becomes what IS their potential.

 

QBs drafted in the first round are supposed to be above average coming out. They should be doing above average things. And their growth should be mostly about experience not learning from scratch how to play the position at an average level.

 

 

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, Mythos27 said:

It's absolutely absurd that people still believe this. 

Funny that people would believe in reality huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 9:26 AM, big2033 said:

The better the QB, the less the staff can truly have an impact on their overall career. QBs have more of an impact on theirs.

 

Andrew Luck would post numbers regardless of how horrible his coaches, Oline, RB, WRs, or GM were. Injury is what slowed him down, then he came back with a completely new staff and dominated out the gate. You can throw anyone at Luck and he'll succeed.

 

And you knew that, because you could see HE was carrying everyone around him.

 

An offensive coordinator can call any play he likes, but the QB can concentrate on the second read instead of the first one as much as he likes. 

Not everyone is the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Seriously, anytime you mention Luck it makes you look like an idiot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Not everyone is the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Seriously, anytime you mention Luck it makes you look like an idiot. 

Just to add to that it’s nit even the same scenario. Luck had a staff that planned for his return for 2 years and were just his second staff to deal with. Mariota is heading to OC #5 and had coaches that rushed him back early to save their jobs. 

Edited by titanruss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Not everyone is the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Seriously, anytime you mention Luck it makes you look like an idiot. 

Then what do we have if we don't have a franchise QB?

 

Because, THAT is what a franchise QB is.

 

THAT is someone that elevates talent.

 

THAT is what it takes.

 

If our QB can't be one of the best QBs in the league what can he be?

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Then what do we have if we don't have a franchise QB?

 

Because, THAT is what a franchise QB is.

 

THAT is someone that elevates talent.

 

THAT is what it takes.

 

If our QB can't be one of the best QBs in the league what can he be?

ahhh. I KNEW it!

 

this thread was a roll attempt by OP to try and bash the QB yet another way. 

 

surprised he hasn't brought up how great Mularkey was yet!!

 

the obsession with these turds is crazy 

LOL.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet he calls Luck a franchise QB who elevates those around him, but he has yet to raise up a Lombardi trophy.  I guess his raising only goes so far.  LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 8MM said:

Yet he calls Luck a franchise QB who elevates those around him, but he has yet to raise up a Lombardi trophy.  I guess his raising only goes so far.  LOL!

luck's also been in the league 3 years more.

 

... and no the sample size isnt the same 2 v 8 playoff games ... but mariota has been money in the playoffs whereas luck has been pretty much shit. same win% as well. 

 

.... and no im not comparing luck to mariota. i'm just laughing at the absurdity of "raising players up!!" (which is complete emotional bullshit) and luck having more success.. except when the success matters - its not that exciting. 

Edited by titanruss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can go deep into the playoffs and even win superbowls without transcendent-level talent at QB. Mariota isn't elite and will almost certainly never be one but you can win it all with him if the team around him is good enough. Even elite QBs struggle to win it all without complimentary talent which is why despite being one of the best in the league (WAY better than Mariota), Russell Wilson is condemned to one and dones in the playoffs and will likely never sniff another superbowl until Seattle gets their act together and actually puts some talent around the guy.  A QB doesn't win superbowls teams do. Non-elite QBs need even more help which is why J-Rob is doing everything he can to make that happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.