Titans want to build offense around Derrick Henry

big2033

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off-season Coach Talk: Titans plan to: Give Marcus weapons Protect Marcus Build around DH Win in the trenches Improve the secondary Get edge rushers

Feature Dion Lewis like you wanted them to...

Posted Images

There’s no doubt Henry ran better after talking to Eddie. 

Theres also no doubt he was running better than Lewis before that. 

The coaches just wanted Marshal Faulk back there instead of a power back and didn’t know how to utilize him with their offensive scheme. 

If Henry can pick up where he left off late last year I really believe he can lead the league in rushing. He's one of the most physically imposing RBs to ever start, just a total freak. His first 3 years watching him in the 4th quarter run over people was one of the most enjoyable things from the entire team. He started doing it the whole game the last month. 

I believe the plan is going to be to be run heavy, I think they'll run MM/Tannehill off of a lot of the Henry runs. 

There is still a weird disconnect between Henry and the passing game. Even as bad as Lewis was running they still played Lewis a ton of snaps. They wanted Lewis on the field if it was a run/pass option. I really don't know if it's a blocking or RB pass threat thing but it def exist. 

Another note. Henry is in the last year of his deal, he's been used sparingly the first 3 years. I don't think they'll care in the least about overuse and will run him into the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I doubt Henry is going to get 30 carries a game unless he just piles on carries in the 4th quarter. in actuality it isn't any different than it was last year 

The plan is def going to be to use Henry like he was the last month. He's only had one game where he had over 30 carries so of course he won't average 30 carries a game. 

I'd guess he'll average 20+ though

53 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

should have been the mentality going into last season.  

I get annoyed by the thinking that it always the coaches fault when a player doesn't perform to his potential. I'm glad something clicked in Henry. 

And as I've been saying, as soon as it clicked, he got more chances. The coaches saw it and they rewarded it. He should've given Vrabel that mentality going into the season.

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

I get annoyed by the thinking that it always the coaches fault when a player doesn't perform to his potential. I'm glad something clicked in Henry. 

And as I've been saying, as soon as it clicked, he got more chances. The coaches saw it and they rewarded it. He should've given Vrabel that mentality going into the season.

Exactly... Based on tape, I would almost question the coaching staff more if the first thing they did in Tennessee was design the team around Henry and go out and get pieces to try to make him shine

I agree that Henry was a big part of this.  I think he went through the motions on a lot of things when he was the #2, first behind Murray and then when they signed Lewis.  It wasn't until he was on the verge of drifting into oblivion that he turned it up a notch and ran with more authority.  He's still a liability in pass protection some but Lewis can be the primary 3rd down back without issue.

I think Henry will have a big year.  The big question is what that does for his 2nd contract.

DH was hit in the backfield constantly the first half of the season. No RB can function like that. I think it was more about the OL improving the second half of the season than anything. Of course DH still has to hit the hole, make his read and run through contact and he did just that when he had some space. 

Look at the ridiculous holes Gurley got last season compared to Henry. Henry should have more running lanes this year and I hope he kills it and re-signs here. I like his unselfish attitude and I love the big power backs that this organization seems to have an affinity for and DH continues that legacy.

4 hours ago, titanruss said:

There’s no doubt Henry ran better after talking to Eddie. 

Theres also no doubt he was running better than Lewis before that.

"Better" is a relative term. Henry ran like constipation for most of the year.

In hindsight maybe both RB would have run better behind a better IOL, but even when Lewis ran like shit there seemed to be an energy and purpose to his running. Henry always seemed like he was just going through the motions.

11 minutes ago, 10 A See said:

DH was hit in the backfield constantly the first half of the season. No RB can function like that. I think it was more about the OL improving the second half of the season than anything. Of course DH still has to hit the hole, make his read and run through contact and he did just that when he had some space. 

Look at the ridiculous holes Gurley got last season compared to Henry. Henry should have more running lanes this year and I hope he kills it and re-signs here. I like his unselfish attitude and I love the big power backs that this organization seems to have an affinity for and DH continues that legacy.

That's fair for the RB's - the OL play improved as the season went on.  So did the WR's and QB too.  So much for the 18 month learning curve.

3 hours ago, big2033 said:

didnt say it was the coaches fault when a player doesn't perform to his potential.  Its the coaches fault when they don't recognize a players potential.

the mentality coming into last season was not to ride Henry...it was to use both backs and go with the hot hand so to speak.  They both flamed out.

if your a player or a coach and your waiting to see it before your react then you are always gonna be a step behind.

13 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

didnt say it was the coaches fault when a player doesn't perform to his potential.  Its the coaches fault when they don't recognize a players potential.

the mentality coming into last season was not to ride Henry...it was to use both backs and go with the hot hand so to speak.  They both flamed out.

if your a player or a coach and your waiting to see it before your react then you are always gonna be a step behind.

They didn't wait. They gave him plenty of opportunities and he did nothing with them. When he DID do something with his opportunities, he got more. 

You're trying to find the best way to win on Sundays. You can't just throw caution to the wind.

Fans wanted us to just hand Henry a bunch of carries. Similar to how they just want the coaches to put Mariota in a spread and let him throw 40 times.

They're trying to win not experiment.

Edited by big2033

10 minutes ago, big2033 said:

They didn't wait. They gave him plenty of opportunities and he did nothing with them. When he DID do something with his opportunities, he got more. 

You're trying to find the best way to win on Sundays. You can't just throw caution to the wind.

Fans wanted us to just hand Henry a bunch of carries. Similar to how they just want the coaches to put Mariota in a spread and let him throw 40 times.

They're trying to win not experiment.

they are saying now that they will use Dion or whoever we have on the roster to compliment Derrick in different aspects.   That is in no way what they were saying going into last year.  It was we are gonna use both backs and go with the hot hand.  Anyone with any sense could see the best way to use the two backs but they were to enamored with the new toy (Dion)

Dion and Derrick are the same fucking players now that they were last year..they were used the wrong way last year and even the coaches see that now but you are gonna somehow spin it.