Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

You select and why

I think a variation of this has already been posted, but want to do this one.  It could possibly be the case that each of these players are on the board at 19.  Who do you select, and why?

Hockenson

Burns

Bradbury

Simmons

Wilkins

Lawrence

I would personally go with Simmons.  This is a selection for the future and maybe late this year, but he is the top DL.  You?

pro

Edited by prometheus

tgo   

Hockenson. 

It's unnecessary to even enumerate why. He's the almighty Hockenson, that's why. 

Simmons would probably be a close 2nd for me. 

Edited by tgo

tgo   

You're on the right track with your list though, pro. 

I think you're exactly spot on with the guys they'd consider there, but I'd add Cody Ford to the end of the list. 

Justafan   

I could see them taking one of the Tackles if they fell too.  Let him start at RG and then he could move out to RT next year if you don't like what you have in Conklin.  

Simmons is the best player but hurt.

Hockenson is the safest player but, personally, a 1st round pick on a TE with Delanie on the roster and needs on both lines...  Not really feeling it.  I believe in spending resources on the lines first and I know Robinson likes to build from the middle out so I have to pass there.

To me, it's either Burns with 69 QB pressures (I mean damn), Bradbury with his power and speed to give you a guy to build around, or Wilkins to add another stud to take some of that pressure off Casey.  

In that scenario, I probably take Burns just because he's the hardest type of player to find later.  I can find good solid G/Cs later in the draft with good scouting and there are starting caliber DTs that can be found all the way into the 3rd round this year.  Nobody after Burns is going to give you 69 QB pressures worth of production.  

I also agree with @tgo that there are other players you could add to this list.  There are a bunch of guys that everyone assumes will go early but no one knows anything.  Every year guys fall and obviously, I like some of those guys more than some of the guys on this list.  

Edited by Justafan

tgo   

Btw, I should also say that I think they're more likely to pick Simmons than Hockenson. 

If I were putting money on the line right now at this early stage about who the pick will be, I'd put it on Simmons. 

For three simple reasons: 

1. He may not be there

2. Pass rushers are harder to find than tight ends (although TEs that are good in the passing game and inline blocking game are also hard to find)

3. Need

Edited by tgo

Hock.

This O is dying for an elite player. You need to keep taking shots to get one.

Our D was good enough as a unit whereas our O was dreadful. Keep hammering to improve that O.

tgo   

I think the run game would be totally unstoppable with Saffold and Pamphile starting at guard, an improved Conklin, and Hockenson (inline) + Walker (move) blocking. 

Or throw in an early round guard in place of Pamphile if you like. 

One of the guys upfront. We have holes there and always been a believer of needing to control the LOS.

Also not a fan of TE at this current time in the first. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

Kyle021   

Simmons

you don’t get a top 3-5 pick at 19 often. 

Hes the best DT in draft. If it wasn’t for the ACL he would go ahead of Oliver and maybe Williams. He would go top 5-7 for sure

Edited by Kyle021

ctm   

IOL--Williams, Ford, Bradbury, McCoy, Risner.......which ever guy the front office thinks is the best fit.

If we could be certain that we'd get a quality IOL in the 2nd round then I'd say wait and taken Hock. But getting a starting right guard is a dire need right now. I wouldn't reach too far for need though. If there's a guy they think might make it to their 2nd round pick, but they don't like him enough to pass over Hock at 19 then so be it. Take Hock.