PK: Marcus Mariota was more injured than we knew in 2018

Titans279

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Nah... Mariota is just a soft ass beta pussy that sucks and needs camp competition. It's the only logical reason they would have traded for Tannehill."

Wait.  I was told that he was hardly injured during the season, except for a handful of games....Oilerman??

Nah it will happen way before that.  I’m guessing Tanny will be carving up second and third strings in preseason and the pitchforks will come out.

Posted Images

So who's to blame for trotting him out there? The org or Mariota himself? If he was more beat up than a crash test dummy why risk your hopeful franchise QB or your future? Seems like an oversight from the medical staff or Mariota is just reckless, and considering how he runs, it was probably his decision.

I believe everyone knows that Mariota was not 100% starting with the Miami game but what player that actually plays is 100% healthy.  Sorry but I don't believe there's any evidence to show that the Titans put him out there when he couldn't grip a football.  When he was injured too much to play, he didn't with the lone exception at Jacksonville when Gabbert was out with the concussion. It seemed obvious that the nerve injury impacted the play calling and his throws.

It's a real stretch to say he was significantly impaired the next week when they played the Eagles and threw it 43 times.  6 games later (in that span they played the Bills, Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys, and NE), he suffered the stinger at Indy but then he played the Houston game the following week - a game that many on here hail as a great performance.  4 games later (Jets, Jaguars, Giants), he got injured again in the Redskins game. 

It seems to some of us that the ulnar nerve issue is used as a free pass for any bad pass or game in 2018.  It's overstated and when you look at the play calling, it sure didn't look like they accommodated for it beyond that first Jaguars game, when he wasn't supposed to play.  Blame Robinson for not having Davis on board until after the Jaguars game.

18 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I believe everyone knows that Mariota was not 100% starting with the Miami game but what player that actually plays is 100% healthy.  Sorry but I don't believe there's any evidence to show that the Titans put him out there when he couldn't grip a football.  When he was injured too much to play, he didn't with the lone exception at Jacksonville when Gabbert was out with the concussion. It seemed obvious that the nerve injury impacted the play calling and his throws.

It's a real stretch to say he was significantly impaired the next week when they played the Eagles and threw it 43 times.  6 games later (in that span they played the Bills, Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys, and NE), he suffered the stinger at Indy but then he played the Houston game the following week - a game that many on here hail as a great performance.  4 games later (Jets, Jaguars, Giants), he got injured again in the Redskins game. 

It seems to some of us that the ulnar nerve issue is used as a free pass for any bad pass or game in 2018.  It's overstated and when you look at the play calling, it sure didn't look like they accommodated for it beyond that first Jaguars game, when he wasn't supposed to play.  Blame Robinson for not having Davis on board until after the Jaguars game.

The last part is incorrect. It’s not being used as a free pass; it’s just that it seems the nerve issue to SOME didn’t pose a change in play. It clearly did. 

Its been discussed to death and widely accepted this is Marcus’s last chance to prove it. I’m just ready for some clarity because I’m tired of reading all the bullshit narratives in place. 

Mariota's splits on passes by air distance (behind LOS, 1-10, 10-20, etc.) were almost identical in 2018 as they were in 2017.  One would have expected more short passes if the grip issue was so prevalent throughout.

Source - ESPN                                               2018    2017

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage  25%      20%

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds                                  44%      45%

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds                                24%      26%

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                   4%        6%

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                   2%        3%

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                       2%        0%

In the Jacksonville game, every pass attempt was short.  In every other game he played, they had some passes beyond that, whether they were successful or not.

Edited by BudAdams

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Anyone else find it funny that ppl are using the fact Mariota suffered multiple injuries as some kind of defence when everyone acknowledges his health is the biggest concern?

Just how stupid are you?

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea that was a problem early in the year when he missed time or wore a glove but he didn't have god damn broken hand/arm and you don't throw 331 attempts of you can't grip a football. 

I'd say it's pretty alarming that his 2017 and 2018 seasons were so closely related production wise. He plays the same whether he can grip a ball or not? 

I think a better way to look at it is...

can grip a ball and Mularkey is your coach = cant grip a ball and Mularkey isn't your coach

3 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Mariota's splits on passes by air distance (behind LOS, 1-10, 10-20, etc.) were almost identical in 2018 as they were in 2017.  One would have expected more short passes if the grip issue was so prevalent throughout.

Source - ESPN                                               2018    2017

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage  25%      20%

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds                                  44%      45%

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds                                24%      26%

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                   4%        6%

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                   2%        3%

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                       2%        0%

In the Jacksonville game, every pass attempt was short.  In every other game he played, they had some passes beyond that, whether they were successful or not.

Exactly, his mediocrity was the same without the two broken arms, blown out knees and two sprained wrists!!!!

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'd say it's pretty alarming that his 2017 and 2018 seasons were so closely related production wise. He plays the same whether he can grip a ball or not? 

You will shit all over this as nothing but homer excuses because you have your own homer ass excuses for your POV. But...

2017: Mularkey & Robiskie mixed with periodically bad Marcus

2018: Nerve injury & re-aggravation, plus all the other alleged injuries, mixed with periodically bad Marcus

Edited by NashvilleNinja