PK: Marcus Mariota was more injured than we knew in 2018

Titans279

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Nah... Mariota is just a soft ass beta pussy that sucks and needs camp competition. It's the only logical reason they would have traded for Tannehill."

Wait.  I was told that he was hardly injured during the season, except for a handful of games....Oilerman??

Nah it will happen way before that.  I’m guessing Tanny will be carving up second and third strings in preseason and the pitchforks will come out.

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

That's a lot of injuries in ones season... How can anyone expect this guy to hold up for a season!

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/marcus-mariota-was-more-injured-than-we-knew-in-2018

I'd have quite a bit of sympathy for his situation if I had never watched Steve McNair.

10 minutes ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

Also, I don't buy into any injury prone shit, but, damn, this dude is brittle. If he's gonna be a brittle NFL QB, he better work on that pocket presence and drink a shitload of milk!

I just don't know how you can milk your way out of a freak ulnar nerve injury, a big fat guy landing on your neck, or a strained hip muscle. Maybe you can milk away a broken rib, but... idk.

I hope he can overcome all of this shit. He's got more than enough ability to play great football, but no one will ever throw a game winner from the medical tent.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

11 minutes ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

I'd have quite a bit of sympathy for his situation if I had never watched Steve McNair.

i was actually gonna say for someone to cue up that old graphic that showed Mcnairs injuries. 

I bet maiota has more and less missed time. 

7 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Assuming that PK report is spot on you have to ask serious questions about the Titans medical staff that allowed him to keep playing with all those injuries.

I have said it in 2017 when they stuck Mariota back out there after the hammy in Houston, they are not concerned with his health and long term wellbeing.  I have often mentioned it since, the Titans(teams actually) are not concerned about the well being of players.  But I also understand that if you get paid 20M a season to play football, then you are expected to play football.  Ryan Shazier was crippled.  It is what it is.  

The problem is Marcus is a likable guy and we want to give him too much slack with excuses for his poor play.  That's just not the way it works.  All football players sacrifice their bodies and long term health for big money.  If Ryan S. suits up for the Steelers he will be expected to make tackles.  When people say Ryan was worthless laying out there on the field, you can't tell fans "can't you see he's hurt?"  They will ask wtf is he doing out there?

The Titans/JRob needed to have improved the backup QB position.  Particularly after 2017 when they had Mariota playing hurt most of the season.  Now, here's PK saying the same thing happened again in 2018.

5 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I have said it in 2017 when they stuck Mariota back out there after the hammy in Houston, they are not concerned with his health and long term wellbeing.  I have often mentioned it since, the Titans(teams actually) are not concerned about the well being of players.  But I also understand that if you get paid 20M a season to play football, then you are expected to play football.  Ryan Shazier was crippled.  It is what it is.  

The problem is Marcus is a likable guy and we want to give him too much slack with excuses for his poor play.  That's just not the way it works.  All football players sacrifice their bodies and long term health for big money.  If Ryan S. suits up for the Steelers he will be expected to make tackles.  When people say Ryan was worthless laying out there on the field, you can't tell fans "can't you see he's hurt?"  They will ask wtf is he doing out there?

The Titans/JRob needed to have improved the backup QB position.  Particularly after 2017 when they had Mariota playing hurt most of the season.  Now, here's PK saying the same thing happened again in 2018.

Arguing against bullshit narratives isn't giving him "slack with excuses".

13 minutes ago, titanruss said:

you serious? half the defending of marcus is because idiots are questioning his toughness. 

the rest, i agree with. 

Granted, there were always a few people who called him a pussy.....but I think most people have understood that Marcus' most significant injuries required more than just pain tolerance.

In 2015-16-17,  he missed games either because of significant structural damage (broken fibula) or to avoid causing significant structural damage (MCL sprains, hamstring strain, both have which could have led to fully torn muscles/ligaments).

His nerve injuries this year weren't a matter of toughing it out or playing through pain.   The injury in the season opener left his hand numb, weak, and unable to properly grip the ball....which rendered him unable to make basic throws.  (First two passes attempted = 2 wobbly INTs).   

I suspect this injury might have been the most frustrating for Marcus, because toughness or pain tolerance had absolutely nothing to do with it;  his fingers simply weren't responding to the brain's impulses.   All Marcus could do was wait until the nerve healed up enough to restore control and strength to the fingers.

It sounds like I'm making excuses;  I'm really not.    I fully believe his more serious injuries were 100% legitimate.   The problem is that Marcus has more significant injuries than any other starting QB in the league.  When a team's starting QB finishes 75% of his seasons on the sidelines, you have to wonder whether he truly gives the team an opportunity to win a championship.....or if he'll be sidelined for the most critical games of all.

At this point toughness and playing through pain means nothing if he is either missing time or it's affecting his play. It's not like he plays like Tom Brady when he's healthy. 

He was supposedly the healthiest he'd even been going into the season and looked terrible in the preseason and 1st half of the Miami game. 

Produce this season or GTFO, the why is meaningless at this point. 

49 minutes ago, nine said:

Granted, there were always a few people who called him a pussy.....but I think most people have understood that Marcus' most significant injuries required more than just pain tolerance.

In 2015-16-17,  he missed games either because of significant structural damage (broken fibula) or to avoid causing significant structural damage (MCL sprains, hamstring strain, both have which could have led to fully torn muscles/ligaments).

His nerve injuries this year weren't a matter of toughing it out or playing through pain.   The injury in the season opener left his hand numb, weak, and unable to properly grip the ball....which rendered him unable to make basic throws.  (First two passes attempted = 2 wobbly INTs).   

I suspect this injury might have been the most frustrating for Marcus, because toughness or pain tolerance had absolutely nothing to do with it;  his fingers simply weren't responding to the brain's impulses.   All Marcus could do was wait until the nerve healed up enough to restore control and strength to the fingers.

It sounds like I'm making excuses;  I'm really not.    I fully believe his more serious injuries were 100% legitimate.   The problem is that Marcus has more significant injuries than any other starting QB in the league.  When a team's starting QB finishes 75% of his seasons on the sidelines, you have to wonder whether he truly gives the team an opportunity to win a championship.....or if he'll be sidelined for the most critical games of all.

That list that shows the myriad of injuries he had to deal with.. we didn’t even know about most of them (is this what’s happening every year?) including a pulled and then completely torn away plantar facia tendon?... just goes to show a few things to me. ...

The FO has to protect the QB in as many ways as possible. That includes better line, better blocking backs/ TE... AND not running a scheme that runs your QB often or puts him in position to get popped as the handoff man in a read-option. Who cares if his injuries that keep him out happen within the pocket as much as outside the pocket. The ones outside the pocket  (and read options) are easily preventable. Spread the field out more so that blitzes are more visible and running lanes are larger when forced to bail. 

Whether you believe in injury prone or not.. these are steps you have to take. EVERY QBs that runs these offenses and runs more gets hurt significantly more. 

Marcus also has to take care of himself better. Get down like Brady/Mannings. Aaron Rodgers could have been the best ever if not for injuries because of his hustle and running. We appreciate it but it limits his time on the field and therefore limits wins for his franchise. 

So whether you believe in “injury prone” or not. There’s steps to be taken to reduce the chance of injury.