I googled Mariota Injury.

Number9

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My takeaway from the original post is that Mariota is still "healing" and not "healed".  This tells me that his injury (injuries?) were far worse than the coaching staff let on.  

You started a new thread for this.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

All I want to know is if this "injury" would keep McNair or Favre off the field. 

My guess is no and that's all that matters to me when it comes to Mariotas boo boos.

Nerve injuries are different from bruised sternums and turf toe. Its not just a “play through the pain” injury. He tried to do that and threw an int on the next pass. 

18 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

You're right. It's a play through an uncomfortable feeling. Not even a painful one. 

Winners, leaders, find a way to adjust and do what it takes to help their team win. 

Back to the question that you didnt answer....Do you think Favre and McNair let this particular injury keep them on the sideline? I'd bet my money the answer is no. What say you?

Not having feeling in your hand makes throwing things difficult

15 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Not having feeling in your hand makes throwing things difficult

About 15% of what the Ulnar Nerve does is related to sensation.

The other 85% of what it does is related to motor functions.

Not feeling two fingers of the hand is one thing.

Not being able to utilize muscle groups in the forearm, the wrist and the hand is another thing altogether.

From Wiki:

Sensory

Cutaneous innervation of the right upper extremity. Areas innervated by the ulnar nerve are the areas on the hand colored in light blue.

The ulnar nerve also provides sensory innervation to the fifth digit and the medial half of the fourth digit, and the corresponding part of the palm:

Palmar branch of ulnar nerve - supplies cutaneous innervation to the anterior skin and nails

Dorsal cutaneous branch of ulnar nerve - supplies cutaneous innervation to the dorsal medial hand and the dorsum of the medial 1.5 fingers

Motor

The ulnar nerve and its branches innervate the following muscles in the forearm and hand:

An articular branch that passes to the elbow joint while the ulnar nerve is passing between the olecranon and medial epicondyle of the humerus

In the forearm, via the muscular branches of ulnar nerve:

Flexor carpi ulnaris

Flexor digitorum profundus (medial half)

In the hand, via the deep branch of ulnar nerve:Hypothenar muscles

Opponens digiti minimi

Abductor digiti minimi

Flexor digiti minimi brevis

The third and fourth lumbrical muscles

Dorsal interossei

Palmar interossei

Adductor Pollicis

Flexor pollicis brevis (deep head)

In the hand, via the superficial branch of ulnar nerve:

Palmaris brevis

The Wiki article has links to most or all of those muscles, if you want to see where they are

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve#Function

Edited by TitanDuckFan

36 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Favre suffered the same injury in 2006.

Didnt miss a start....

But let me guess, Mariotas is worse....of course. Dummy me...

GB went 8-8 that season.

The worst completion percentage of his career in 2006, 56%.

Averaged only 6.3 YPC.  Tied for worst in his career.

18TDs 18INTs

72% passer rating on the season.

Left the game because of the injury.

Lost the following week to Seattle, throwing 3 INTs .

Edited by TitanDuckFan

18 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I glanced at the wrong line. 

As you can see, I edited it. But funny you choose to run away from the argument to point out a simple mistake. 

Big time brotha!

Tell me again how much more of a pussy Mariota is(nt).

Okay Mr simple, let me spell it out for you.

The reason I posted the Wiki article is because without knowing the percentages of motor function vs sensory function was lost due to the damage there's no way to know how badly Mariota was affected

Or for that matter, how bad Farve was either.  Just because the same injury was suffered by both guys we still don't really know jack shit.  We're flying blind here.

Don't take stupid to new levels Jake.  That's a bad look even for you.

Dial it back a tad, have another toke, and chill.

We'll know more once TC gets started and the reports start coming in as to who looks good and/or bad.

There's no sense arguing speculation.

7 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

They

Both

Still

Played

That tells me if they can play if needed to, the injury is more about mind over matter. Doing what you need to to adjust. Mariota conceded that Gabbert gave them the best chance to win due to an unfavorable situation. I'm sure you'll diminish and talk about how the team gets fired up after him throwing a block, but that is what ppl refer to when they question his leadership...

The stinger injury Mariota suffered later in the year wasn't the same injury Jake.

He was advised by a spinal orthopedic surgeon not to play the final game.

The Ulnar nerve is not in the spine Jake.

Buy a clue Jake.

It's simple, even for you.

Take a toke and chill Simple Jake.

Mind over matter and all that.

10 hours ago, nine said:

It was my understanding that Marcus' injury at the end of the season was a stinger caused by trauma or compression of the nerve bundle in his neck/shoulder.  It was a separate nerve issue that was unrelated to the ulnar nerve injury he sustained in the season opener, which was caused by trauma to the elbow. 

Same arm...different nerve, different issue.

I won't even be particularly concerned if he's still healing up in April....as long as he's ready to go in August.

its the same ulnar nerve injury he had all year. they fuck with the injury report and strategically release info wether true or not to skirt the edge of what is required by the NFL.  they just said "stinger" because it sounds better than the career ending injury it could be. so same nerve/same arm/.. reported as a different spot hit. which would be incredibly rare. 

BTW.. the NFL doesnt really give a shit.. they just need to know what the likelihood of him playing is so that gamblers dont get uber pissed. 

8 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

All I want to know is if this "injury" would keep McNair or Favre off the field. 

My guess is no and that's all that matters to me when it comes to Mariotas boo boos.

yeah..it would have. how many games did Mcnair miss??... a fuckton. 

and not being able to throw a ball would make the COACHES decision easy.. if its even up to them. Medical staff can take precedent sometimes. 

why is it so difficult for some?

lets try again to make it easy... 

if you cant grip a football.. its not smart to participate in throwing footballs for big monies. you will suck at it. 

mariotas injury wasnt all year either. it recovered and got hit 2 separate times after the initial injury. 

2 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

GB went 8-8 that season.

The worst completion percentage of his career in 2006, 56%.

Averaged only 6.3 YPC.  Tied for worst in his career.

18TDs 18INTs

72% passer rating on the season.

Left the game because of the injury.

Lost the following week to Seattle, throwing 3 INTs .

Imagine that. An injury can cause suckification.

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Mind over matter and all that.

Eh... 

pD7cwII.gif

Edited by NashvilleNinja

LOL @ comparing mariota to an all-time great again.. and then bashing him for not being Brett Favre

Why isnt Derrick Henry as good as walter peyton/marshall faulk / Earl Campbell?... lol what a loser. 

Why isnt Corey Davis as good as Jerry Rice??? Ha!... turd

Why isnt Adoree Jackson as good as Deion Sanders?... What a joke of a player. 

4 hours ago, titanruss said:

LOL @ comparing mariota to an all-time great again.. and then bashing him for not being Brett Favre

Why isnt Derrick Henry as good as walter peyton/marshall faulk / Earl Campbell?... lol what a loser. 

Why isnt Corey Davis as good as Jerry Rice??? Ha!... turd

Why isnt Adoree Jackson as good as Deion Sanders?... What a joke of a player. 

Simple Jake is always going to go simple...