How wealth is distrubted

IsntLifeFunny

55 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Great, legitimate, counterargument.  I can completely understand this point of view and am sympathetic to large portions of it.  I think we're going to just disagree on some of this and end up debating in circles but I can appreciate your point of view even if we disagree on things like the effect the size of the population has on this stuff and how extreme the tax increases you cite are.  I also mentioned spending cuts, which you skimmed over and 3 times now said I don't pretend that taxing our way to happy Denmark is the best way forward.

That's okay.  We're pretty far apart on economics, so I don't expect we'll agree on much on what that best way forward actually is.  You believe in top-down (or at least that's the impression I get) economics and I would like to see something more middle-out.

Hell Justy,...  Spending cuts?  They can't and won't even reduce spending increases they have scheduled.  Much less actually reduce a department's budget.

I'm not skimming over them, I'm treating the prospect of that realistically.

Because it doesn't happen.

The thing you and the progressive side of the aisle need to be aware of, is the likelihood of proposing these types of programs if you want to see balanced politics in this country.

If you think the conservative side won't skewer Dem candidates with the same arguments I just made, you're living a fantasy.

Much like the Green New Deal, anybody with a lick o' sense knows this country can't afford even half of that.  The tax rates would skyrocket just to break even with the deficit we have now.

This country has had a spending problem since ever I can remember, and the people who collect those paychecks (and services) guard them jealously.  To the point of sabotaging attempts to cut budgets.

"Draining the Swamp" starts with budget cuts, and we're seeing how ineffective that idea is.  They guard the process because the process insures their job security.

So "The Swamp" changes its name to "The Marsh" and the SOP remains the same.

I agree though, we need spending cuts.  Now all you have to do is convince people inside and outside of government that it's a good thing if THEIR ox is the one that gets gored.  When you figure out how to do that, let me know.

I'll vote for ya.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wealth inequality is the single greatest threat to our national security and to our way of life.  It's worth discussing, regardless of which side of the aisle you come from.  If I run into any Republi

Yes, wealth inequality is a big problem for many reasons. I personally don't think any able bodied person who wants to work and who contributes to society should have to struggle. Not just paying bill

Posted Images

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_inequality_in_the_United_States

There is significant and ongoing debate as to the causes, economic effects, and solutions regarding income inequality. While before-tax income inequality is subject to market factors (e.g., globalization, trade policy, labor policy, and international competition), after-tax income inequality can be directly affected by tax and transfer policy. U.S. income inequality is comparable to other developed nations before taxes and transfers, but is among the worst after taxes and transfers.[4][41] Income inequality may contribute to slower economic growth, reduced income mobility, higher levels of household debt, and greater risk of financial crises and deflation.[42][43]

Although some have spoken out in favor of moderate inequality as a form of incentive,[52][53] others have warned against the current high levels of inequality, including Yale Nobel prize for economics winner Robert J. Shiller, (who called rising economic inequality "the most important problem that we are facing now today"),[54] former Federal Reserve Board chairman Alan Greenspan, ("This is not the type of thing which a democratic society – a capitalist democratic society – can really accept without addressing"),[55] and President Barack Obama (who referred to the widening income gap as the "defining challenge of our time").[56]

3 hours ago, Rolltide said:

In the Guggenheim museum they had a 24 ct gold toilet. It was made by some Italian guy. For a price you could use the toilet there and piss and shit in it. The name of the toilet? "America". So you could shit on "America" at one of our finest museums. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/arts/design/solid-gold-toilet-to-be-removed-from-guggenheim-in-september.html

• 2 weeks later...

Key Democrat revives plan to make capital gains tax due annually

https://www.accountingtoday.com/articles/senate-democrat-ron-wyden-revives-plan-to-make-capital-gains-tax-due-annually

The top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, Ron Wyden, is reviving a plan that would tax wealthy individuals annually on their investments, instead of when those assets are sold.

The plan represents a fundamental change to the timing of capital gains taxation — it would require wealthy investors to pay the capital gains tax on the appreciation of their assets each year, rather than paying the capital gains tax once when they sell an asset.

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Key Democrat revives plan to make capital gains tax due annually

https://www.accountingtoday.com/articles/senate-democrat-ron-wyden-revives-plan-to-make-capital-gains-tax-due-annually

The top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, Ron Wyden, is reviving a plan that would tax wealthy individuals annually on their investments, instead of when those assets are sold.

The plan represents a fundamental change to the timing of capital gains taxation — it would require wealthy investors to pay the capital gains tax on the appreciation of their assets each year, rather than paying the capital gains tax once when they sell an asset.

.....and when they decline?  Sounds extremely complex and would be the tax accountants full employment act.

1 minute ago, ctm said:

.....and when they decline?  Sounds extremely complex and would be the tax accountants full employment act.

It has no chance of passing anyway, just saw it and thought I'd post it 

32 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

If libtards want better income distribution why aren't they supporting immigration reform and a wall?

And for the record, I don't oppose a wall, I just think it's kind of dumb and mostly motivated by racism.  There far better ways to ACTUALLY curb illegal immigration that I would be all for.  My wife is an immigrant (legal).  I absolutely support immigration reform.

Hell, I haven't seen any poster on here who said the current system is dandy.  The devil, however, is always in the details.  

16 minutes ago, ctm said:

How about we start with repeaing the Trump tax cut that gave the biggest portion of the benefits to the upper  1/10 of 1%.

67% to be exact. Imagine that. 670 billion over ten years going to the richest people in our country. Who could ever think this is a good idea? Republicans who want to bitch about Obamacare and abortions, that’s who. 

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

67% to be exact. Imagine that. 670 billion over ten years going to the richest people in our country. Who could ever think this is a good idea? Republicans who want to bitch about Obamacare and abortions, that’s who. 

Remember when Trump and republicans claimed the tax cut would magically spur economic growth and it would actually pay for itself?

Top down economics is a fraud disguised to benefit big donors.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:29 PM, Rolltide said:

This is how libtards see the USA. 

In the Guggenheim museum they had a 24 ct gold toilet. It was made by some Italian guy. For a price you could use the toilet there and piss and shit in it. The name of the toilet? "America". So you could shit on "America" at one of our finest museums. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/arts/design/solid-gold-toilet-to-be-removed-from-guggenheim-in-september.html

Here you go, this will help keep your legs from falling asleep when you try to shit on America.

Toidy.jpeg

14 minutes ago, ctm said:

Remember when Trump and republicans claimed the tax cut would magically spur economic growth and it would actually pay for itself?

Top down economics is a fraud disguised to benefit big donors.

Of course it is, economics simply don’t work in such a manner. The money would have been much better spent on middle class tax cuts and cuts for small business. 

Whatever happened to that 10% tax cut Trump promised for the middle class. In the age of tech people’s memories are very short it seems. 

11 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

My statement went right over everyone's head apparently.  Letting cheap labor in to compete for American jobs is going to do the opposite of creating income equality. 

Neither is giving tax cuts to the top 1%.