Ringer NFL Podcast on Titans' FA (Tannehill and Mariota)

Titans279

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I've asked this before and don't recall getting an answer: if Mariota really is as bad as some say, on top of having had so many injuries, then why haven't we moved on already? Just because we picked up his 5th year option?

It makes no sense for such an astute GM to ride with such a bum as the starting QB when he's made moves everywhere else on the team map. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The answer is because Mariota's contract is cheap at the moment. And, between his injuries and wild inconsistency, JRob would want (and need, for his job security) to be 99 percent positive that Mary's not the answer before he cuts him. But, if Marco Highthro shows the same play/injuries this year, JRob will give him a one-way ticket back to the land of lei's and luau's.

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Well, being one of the resident Mariota homers, you should know what I think. First, I hate their use of the term "injury prone" because it's a bullshit term. He has been injury plagued since he's been here, but that's not an indication of a chronic issue. That would indicate an issue with one type of injury. He's just had some really shitty luck with the various injuries that he's had. I guess somebody could try and say that the fibula is connected to the ulnar nerve to prove the "injury prone" label, but I don't know how far they'd get with that in the medical community.

The Tannehill move is insurance against Mariota being injured again and it's an indictment on Blaine Gabbert. I feel like the move wouldn't have been made if they'd had to pay Tannehill more money. Miami paying that sent the deal through and it just tells me that it's more about Gabbert than it is Mariota. If they were so desperate they may have agreed to a deal even if it meant paying more money but comparatively it looks like Miami was more motivated to get him out of Miami than we were to get him to TN.

Btw, I've seen some of the Mariota haters on here compare him to Tannehill like they're basically the same player. Some even question if Tannehill isn't better and should actually be the starter. Well... if that's the case, and Mariota really is no better, then why weren't the Titans all in on moving on from Mariota the same way Miami was to move on from Tannehill? I've asked this before and don't recall getting an answer: if Mariota really is as bad as some say, on top of having had so many injuries, then why haven't we moved on already? Just because we picked up his 5th year option? Whoopty do. JRob has proven that he's got a healthy philosophy on cutting losses and Mariota wouldn't even really count as a loss for him since he didn't draft him.

It makes no sense for such an astute GM to ride with such a bum as the starting QB when he's made moves everywhere else on the team map. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The fucker got hurt handing off the ball.  Spare me the bullshit!  Every time Mariota is hit, in the pocket or out, every fan holds their breathe.  That’s the very definition of injury prone.  

3 hours ago, Righteous said:

The fucker got hurt handing off the ball.  Spare me the bullshit!  Every time Mariota is hit, in the pocket or out, every fan holds their breathe.  That’s the very definition of injury prone.  

"Injury prone" is a made up god damn term for people that don't know a vagina from a toasted hot dog bun. But if you want to keep on using it to make yourself feel knowledgeable then go right the fuck ahead. It's not against the law to look stupid.

11 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

"Injury prone" is a made up god damn term for people that don't know a vagina from a toasted hot dog bun. But if you want to keep on using it to make yourself feel knowledgeable then go right the fuck ahead. It's not against the law to look stupid.

Injury:  an instance of being injured.

Prone:  likely to or liable to suffer from, do, or experience something, typically something regrettable or unwelcome.

Made up or not, it’s appropriate!

It's really not that hard to figure out. 

They have a top tier QB from an athletic capability aspect but to date he's been inconsistent (sometimes great, sometimes meh, and sometimes poor) and he's constantly getting injured and missing practices and games.  The backups under Mariota have been uninspiring - Mettenberger, Cassel, Gabbert - and twice in three years they have had to play a must win season ending game with the backup.  Tannehill represents a true alternative if Mariota plays poorly or gets hurt again and would be a logical candidate to be a 2020 option if Mariota is out.

This QB was inherited from the prior regime but the owner loves him and the team has marketed him as the face of the franchise.  As such, Robinson did not have the equity to move on from Mariota even if he wanted to up to this point.  Now, it's really up to how 2019 turns out and Robinson has put himself in almost a cannot lose position.  If MM flops or puts up 13 TD's in a full season again, he moves on as you don't pay a guy $ 25 M per year for that.  If MM puts it all together, he either tags him or extends him and looks like a genius for being patient with MM and building a team around him.