How does a cash salary floor affect the Titans?

T-RAC

ESPN is reporting the new CBA will require teams to spend nearly 100% of the cap in cash. Aren't the Titans one of those teams that has left money on the table in recent seasons?

Will forcing the Titans to spend that money help the team become more competitive?

A quick search and here's the most up to date info I found. As of Nov. 2009 (there was no cap last year), the Titan were roughly 10.5M under the 127M cap. They also had a big number for Collins and good size number for VY that year. The Titans are going to have to spend some money but so will a lot of other teams.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

The figure I heard was each team has to spend 90%. I think it will help in retaining players that are contributors, but not core players. On the free agent market, everybody will be spending, so maybe it's a wash. I think it somehow gets around the dead money that teams have on the books. Players will get more guaranteed money.

It possibly means fewer big bonuses and higher base salaries. And it means cutting players in the middle of their contracts is easier b/c dead money from the bonuses won't hit the cap in the next year.

If they give out big bonuses this year to hit their cap number then since they can't spread it over the life of the contract, it means they'll have to give out bonuses next year to do the same, probably.

A quick search and here's the most up to date info I found. As of Nov. 2009 (there was no cap last year), the Titan were roughly 10.5M under the 127M cap. They also had a big number for Collins and good size number for VY that year. The Titans are going to have to spend some money but so will a lot of other teams.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Even before taking into account the fact that we'll lose other players, I think the fact that we were below the cap by a good margin while carrying two starting quarterback salaries means we'll be one of the teams with the highest mandatory amounts to spend to reach the floor. I think this will cause signing CJ to an extension before the season to be a no-brainer.

Even before taking into account the fact that we'll lose other players, I think the fact that we were below the cap by a good margin while carrying two starting quarterback salaries means we'll be one of the teams with the highest mandatory amounts to spend to reach the floor. I think this will cause signing CJ to an extension before the season to be a no-brainer.

Good point. I think it also means that if we ever get a wealth of dl talent again, they won't all get released. Teams should be able to build an identity better knowing the can keep their teams together.

I guess the flip side of that will be that we are paying a new first round pick in addition to potentially paying a veteran. I think those combined cap numbers will be significantly less that what Kerry and Vince were being paid. Vince got a pretty ridiculous contract for a rookie and Kerry got starter money as well IIRC. I don't think they make the same mistake on Locker even if the rookie cap doesn't start immediately. I'm not sure what they'll pay for a veteran quarterback but I can't see it being a lot more than what they were giving($14M/2yrs?) Collins.

A few other points.

The 127M was the 2009 cap. It could be up substantially for 2011.

The Titans can free up a lot of space by cutting guys like Hope, Gage, Haye and Brown. Hope has a 6.5M base as I remember.

John Clayton has a very good article up at ESPN about the effects of the salary cap and mandatory cash spending.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6699864

Some of the numbers he mentions are downright scary. He assumes a cap of 120M (it was 127M in 2009) and under his scenario the Bengals would be required to spend an additional 60M in cash above what they spent in 2009. The Bucs wouldn't be far behind with an additional 56M spending in cash.

The Titans can free up a lot of space by cutting guys like Hope, Gage, Haye and Brown. Hope has a 6.5M base as I remember.

The lockout is really helping both Hope and Gage. As long as Britt's problems off the field continue, Gage will likely remain with the team.

And unless they can sign a safety who will start along with Griffin, Hope will remain with the Titans. I know it's a scary thought, but it's true.

Haye is probably the one in most danger of being released by the team, after they cut VY of course. At least Hope and Gage aren't completely useless like he is.

Heck, I'd say most teams just keep their own guys just to spend the money.

I.e. Hope and Gage for us.

More likely they re-sign upcoming Titan FAs. For the Titans they'll probably resign Finnegan, Chris Johnson and Griffin while cutting Gage and renegotiating down Hope's contract. (or cutting him if he doesn't reduce his salary)

This is going to be interesting, especially with a new rookie cap that pays them less. I suspect teams will resign their guys sooner...but this season some teams are gonna have to go free agent shopping, including the Titans with some big money coming off the books. VY and any veterans who get cut. Could be a good free agent year similar to Hope/Mawae/Thornton year.

Archived