Mariota Film from 2018

BudsOilers

Some discussion of MM's mechanics from prior years.

From 2015

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2015/07/30/tennessee-titans-marcus-mariota-project-ken-whisenhunt

From 2016

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2016/04/marcus_mariota_hungry_to_start.html

https://titaninsider.com/mariota-uses-practice-time-refine-mechanics-correct-flaws/

From 2017

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/05/marcus-mariota-development-tennessee-titans-coaching-staff-jason-michael

From 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000934523/article/marcus-mariota-eyes-accuracy-gains-via-footwork

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg Cosell said the other day that’s the cause of most of his inconsistency problems and he knows for a fact that it was something LaFleur was working hard to correct. No idea if Smith will keep emph

I thought we put your bullshit narrative to bed months ago, but here you are back at it.

Well this is certainly a new outlook on your part.

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Greg Cosell said the other day that’s the cause of most of his inconsistency problems and he knows for a fact that it was something LaFleur was working hard to correct. No idea if Smith will keep emphasizing it or not. 

I’m no expert but to me it seems like something that is unlikely to change at this point. 

I'm sure the Titans and Mariota want to fix the issues but in the actual line of fire on game day things can go awry.

Mariota’s throws to the right tended to sail more than some of the others against the Colts. Asked how he works to fix those mistakes, the second-year quarterback said it can’t really be done in the course of the game, but rather on the practice field.

“You can’t really fix things mechanically, because then you’ll think too much about it. That’s kind of how I operate. Today or coming back on practices where you take what happened in the game and try to correct it, that’s why you come out here and do those things,” he said.

The game-day focus has to be on the opposing defense, not his mechanics, because that is part of what practice is for, he said.

“A lot of that just has to do with reps and just going out there and practicing it. I tend to just kind of correct it either in warmups or when you’re throwing routes with the guys because when you’re out there doing seven-on-seven or live team practice reps, your mind needs to be more about what’s going on in the defense rather than what you’re doing with them,” Mariota said.

24 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Wait, I thought trading a 4th round pick for a borderline starting QB when he’s in the final year of his contract with no extension in sight was a good sign 

A good sign? I don’t know that that means 

The back up spot has been upgraded no matter what 

19 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

The offensive line looks pretty bad overall.

Anyone with eyes can see it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yea that’s why they are replacing people on the OL

If you think that’s the root of all MM’s problems LOL

58 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Some discussion of MM's mechanics from prior years.

Pfft, I thought we've been told that this current staff was the first one to spend some time and actually try to improve him as a passer?!?

11 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That's an easier sell than you trying to convince people that those 11 sacks he took against Balt were his fault. 

Some of them were.

He also admitted he ran into some sacks. By our count, he was right: Of the 11 sacks, 6.5 were on him. Of the other 4.5, three and a half were credited to Baltimore's pass coverage, and one fell on the shoulders of the Titans line.

This is why this weekly piece exists. While the masses decry Tennessee's offensive line as overpaid and underperforming, the tape tells a different tale. So do the numbers: Of Baltimore's 11 sacks, only one came in less than three seconds. Seven came after the four-second mark had been passed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000976004/article/analyzing-each-of-the-11-sacks-the-titans-allowed-vs-ravens

25 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Pfft, I thought we've been told that this current staff was the first one to spend some time and actually try to improve him as a passer?!?

If you read the article you’d see there’s a difference in how LaFleur and Mularkey treated Mariota’s mechanics. 

Under Mularkey they looked at game film and tried to work on an issue that popped up during the next week.

Mariota even days you can’t fix mechanics lol. Mularkey says they expect the issue to be fixed in time for the Thursday game! 

To me that says they did not see inherent flaws in Mariota and we’re not focused on it. They were small issues that could be fixed easily. 

LaFleur had him actively working on his mechanics. They saw his poor mechanics as a chronic issue that were the cause of his problems. It was just “oh run a few extra drills on a short week and it’ll be fine” approach like Mularkey took. 

Edited by Titans279

Just now, Titans279 said:

If you read the article you’d see there’s a difference in how LaFleur and Mularkey treated Mariota’s mechanics. 

Under Mularkey they looked at game film and tried to work on an issue that popped up during the next week.

Mariota even days you can’t fix mechanics lol. Mularkey says they expect the issue to be fixed in time for the Thursday game! 

To me that says they did not see inherent flaws in Mariota and we’re not focused on it. 

LaFleur had him actively working on his mechanics. They saw his poor mechanics as a chronic issue that were the cause of his problems. It was just “oh run a few extra drills on a short week and it’ll be fine” approach like Mularkey took. 

I wasn't referencing those specific articles, you think that those articles are the only times anyone has ever talked about improving a guy's mechanics in the offseason. You honestly think Mularkey never said anything in the offseason and waited till week 1 to start working?

6 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

"Any time I get inaccurate, it starts with my feet," Mariota said. "Those are things that I'm working on in practice, things that I worked on during the offseason. Again, everything I keep saying is consistency. If I can have solid footwork in the pocket, play in and play out, I think I can be accurate with the football and do what I need to do."

That was during preseason under Mularkey, you want to tell me again how footwork was only practiced a couple days before the next game?

The SI article before 2017 goes into how the coaches continually reviewed his mechanics under Mularkey/Michaels.  MM also worked on mechanics on his own after 2015 with Tom House and again in other offseason work.  Saying that, Mariota admits that he gets sloppy with his footwork and you see it in film from 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

Personally, I think the challenge is that changing mechanics once you are in the NFL is really hard to do.  That's something you want done early in his football career - HS and college. 

My personal opinion is that he was able to rely on superior athletic skills at the HS and Pac-12 levels and we all know it doesn't work that way in the NFL.  VY and Tebow were dominant college QB's too.

Edited by BudAdams