JRob Needs To Focus Attention On The Trenches

MIKE75

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe JRob's plan is to do with the interior OL what he did with the secondary.  Turn a major weakness into a strength.  If you have arguably a limited QB who is injury prone and a RB who is a nig

Exactly. outside of Lewan and Casey who was here before Jrob?   Hes added and cut guys every year from the OL/DL. He’s struck out on some big name FAs. He’s paid some guys. Jrob knows what w

Dirty South pigeon.

20 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I really want an edge rusher.   The problem is the more I listen to some of you guys and see the mocks, it looks like there might not be one the Titans feel they must have.   The QB are not flying up the board and no gotta have RB.  Maybe OL will be the pick.  Munch and Wash were worth every penny they got paid.  Munch developed late round picks, Olsen, Stewart, Roos was a luxury 2nd round pick.  Wash would get players off the sofa, a year later teams were lining up to give them big deals.  I can't say too much because I don't have in-depth knowledge of the staff, but we can't get enough 1st and 2nd round picks to fill a whole team.  We gotta coach somebody up.

I'll say this. JRob is easily the second best GM we have ever had. He is doing everything in his power to upgrade the Titans. The best GM we ever had was Floyd Reese who was GM from 1999 thru 2006 he built the Titans into a powerhouse with good drafting.

As far as OL Reese mostly picked offensive linemen in the mid to later rounds and never used a first round pick on one. Matter of fact from 1999 thru 2006 the highest pick he ever spent on an OL was in 2005 on LT Michael Roos 2nd round and in the same draft RT David Stewart 4th round both were bookend tackles.

From '99 thru '06 Reese spent 3 picks on OL in the 7th,2 picks on OL in the 6th,2 picks on OL in the 5th,1 pick on OL in the 4th,1 pick on OL in the 3rd and 1 pick on OL in the 2nd/

The majority of OL picks were in the 4th to 7th round which was 8 picks.

2 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

I'll say this. JRob is easily the second best GM we have ever had. He is doing everything in his power to upgrade the Titans. The best GM we ever had was Floyd Reese who was GM from 1999 thru 2006 he built the Titans into a powerhouse with good drafting.

As far as OL Reese mostly picked offensive linemen in the mid to later rounds and never used a first round pick on one. Matter of fact from 1999 thru 2006 the highest pick he ever spent on an OL was in 2005 on LT Michael Roos 2nd round and in the same draft RT David Stewart 4th round both were bookend tackles.

From '99 thru '06 Reese spent 3 picks on OL in the 7th,2 picks on OL in the 6th,2 picks on OL in the 5th,1 pick on OL in the 4th,1 pick on OL in the 3rd and 1 pick on OL in the 2nd/

The majority of OL picks were in the 4th to 7th round which was 8 picks.

It seems to me that drafting OL (especially IOL) is all about a team's philosophy.   

Some teams have a history of investing significant draft capital and cap dollars on OL to acquire the best talent possible.   The Colts, Cowboys, and Steelers are good examples of this approach.

But there are also teams at the opposite end of the spectrum and see IOL play more as a product of coaching rather than talent;  instead of investing big money or high draft picks, they use mid/late-round picks and coach them up.     The Rams and Packers haven't drafted IOL earlier than round 3 in the past 20 years;  the Patriots have done it only twice during the Belichick era.     (This was also Floyd Reese's preferred approach, as Mike pointed out.)

Either approach can work....but one thing is certain:  no matter the talent level, the OL coach is absolutely critical.    Think about the Steelers OL situation:  despite having multiple high-round picks, their O-line was a mess until Munchak was brought in to right the ship.   Last year, the Cowboys' talented O-line was so bad,  their OL coach was fired mid-season.....and their OL play improved after his departure.

It'll be interesting to see what JRob does this year.   The signing of Ben Jones was one of his first moves as GM....but then he went with more of a plug-and-play approach with Kline and Spain.  (Which worked fine for a couple years, but was a disaster in 2018).     Saffold is obviously a prominent high-profile signing....I really have no idea how JR plans to address the RG position.   After last year's issues, I can see him going all in and drafting a guy at 19.....but I can just as easily see him plugging in an experienced-but-affordable veteran who gets the job done.

Or they really have a system in place to develop players and the Right guard and center are already on the team.. so JRob will pick another day 3 player to develop is my bet.. 

A rookie contract center could be ok, by the time the contract is due saffold will be off the books. This year decides the RT position. Jones could play guard for one year.

Still a lot of draft capital tied up in the o-line .

On 3/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, ctm said:

I believe JRob's plan is to do with the interior OL what he did with the secondary.  Turn a major weakness into a strength.  If you have arguably a limited QB who is injury prone and a RB who is a nightmare for the defense once he gets to the second level, then that strategy makes a lot of sense on several counts.  Making the IOL a strength requires premium assets, not half measures.

He did it with MLB, TE, RB, and was close to doing it with WR If not for injuries and quitters. 

Blake Beddingfield’s analysis on the Kuharsky website is rather eye opening .. he thinks we don’t have a rg on the roster unless we shift Conklin.. plus the team has to decide if they sign the 5th year option on Conklin.. Pamphile will be the swing guard and Levin will be the backup center.. Kelly is also up for a new contract.. a lot depends on how Conklin plays right away

1 minute ago, Nash said:

Blake Beddingfield’s analysis on the Kuharsky website is rather eye opening .. he thinks we don’t have a rg on the roster unless we shift Conklin.. plus the team has to decide if they sign the 5th year option on Conklin.. Pamphile will be the swing guard and Levin will be the backup center.. Kelly is also up for a new contract.. a lot depends on how Conklin plays right away

If Conklin doesn't return to form it's going to be pretty bad. He doesn't have to be great but he can't be as bad as he was last season. 

I'd have a hard time giving him the 5th year option at the price it would take. 

In the perfect world Conlin returns to form at RT and Kelly is the swing OT. 

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

If Conklin doesn't return to form it's going to be pretty bad. He doesn't have to be great but he can't be as bad as he was last season. 

I'd have a hard time giving him the 5th year option at the price it would take. 

In the perfect world Conlin returns to form at RT and Kelly is the swing OT. 

It's going to be pretty bad for Conklin, the team has a serviceable RT in Kelly. If Conklin is as bad as last year, him and his agent should agree to a tryout at guard if it's offered. It will all play out, he could return to year 1 form.

If Conk ends up on the block or an UFA, I doubt it will be due to a lack of injury recovery.

It will just be his inability to adapt to the Zone scheme.

If that happens I expect JRob to find a trade partner hell-bent on running a power scheme.