The Expanse

pat

As a counter point to the inevitable complaints about the latest GoT episode, I present:

https://www.gq.com/story/the-expanse-is-basically-the-show-game-of-thrones-used-to-be/amp

The Expanse is basically the show that Game of Thrones used to be and Westworld wishes it was. It's the kind of show that makes you remember that sprawling, heady genre TV interspersed with thrilling, violent action can be rewarding as hell. It makes you appreciative of TV as a medium, and angry that our culture's limited goodwill towards dense, indulgent series that take a while to get going is utterly wasted on extremely buzzy wet farts like every show that's trying to be the new Thrones. (Look, I hope Amazon's ambitious new Lord of the Rings show is good, but no one is promised tomorrow.)

It’s good, but it wasn't the equal of GoT.  Not sure what to expect now that it’s on Amazon. 

If nothing else, i’m glad for the trend of turning novels into a 10 episode season instead of a single 2 hour movie. It is a huge improvement. 

I enjoyed season 1, but fell off pretty early in season 2. Just wasn't all that into where they seemed to be taking things. I really liked the detective character and once he found Julie, things just kind of fell apart for his character, imo.

Does it pick up? Season 3 seems to be more highly reviewed than the others.

Don't think it comes even close to GoT though. Even the parts I liked.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:23 AM, Jonboy said:

I enjoyed season 1, but fell off pretty early in season 2. Just wasn't all that into where they seemed to be taking things. I really liked the detective character and once he found Julie, things just kind of fell apart for his character, imo.

Does it pick up? Season 3 seems to be more highly reviewed than the others.

Don't think it comes even close to GoT though. Even the parts I liked.

It does pickup.  S2 is a bit weird.

The books have a different style than GoT, and that translates to the show pacing, but the series has legs and stays well plotted for quite a long time.

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

And unlike A Song of Ice and Fire, there is a new Expanse novel being released next week...

Didn't even realize it was based on a novel until this thread. Interesting. May have to check them out.

"As someone who's been watching and writing about TV for several years now, I have just enough authority to say that TV dramas are kind of in a slump."

TV dramas have never been better or more innovative than in recent times.  

• 2 weeks later...

What am I missing?

Since people here indicated it was good, I watched 1 and half episodes from first season and that was hard to do.  None of the characters have any personalty nor attractiveness that made me want to pay attention to any of them.   Acting was below average. 

It does look very good.  No HDR but the UHD looks very good. Although the sets are cramped and look like sets from 1970 films (props in small room to make it look like something it is not etc.)

• 2 months later...

Maybe it's just the plotting.

I loved the books, and thought that was validated when my wife binge watched the first few seasons all in a hurry.  But over time our tastes have merged, making it less of a reliable indicator.

Sorry if you didn't like it.  I loved it.

• 5 months later...

Archived