Titans Interested in Jordy Nelson; Visiting Seattle First

tgo

2 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

And when did I do such a thing? I have literally said dozens of times that I want a mid-round receiver (I would prefer we don't go 1st or 2nd but if the talent dictates it I have said I'm on board).... But I sure as fuck don't expect him to come into this season blowing any doors off. I want us to have realistic expectations with drafting and developing said receiver.

What I don't want is for us to force our way onto the draft podium with a list of offensive choices and select the name we haven't checked off yet.... And yet, there are plenty of homers here who want exactly that because we still need to find a way to give Mariota more opportunities.

Well I certainly wouldn't expect a rookie to be destroying elite corners from day one but I also don't think that blowing the doors off of people on the regular is a requirement to help keep defenses honest. Teams just have to get beat deep a few times before they adjust and start taking safeties out of the box and underneath throwing lanes open up.

Honestly though, the feasibility of adding an instantaneous deep threat wasn't even the conversation I was interested in having. What I was debating previous to this discussion was whether or not hypothetically acquiring a legit deep threat would significantly help Mariota and the offense. I think the answer is a resounding yes but not everyone seems to agree on that ( I know you do).   

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realize I may be arguing against an avalanche when it comes to putting music on top of highlight videos, but if you're going to use rap at least use a non-mumble rapping mfer that doesn't have to re

I really wish we'd draft a pure speed guy. Don't even care if he's a one trick pony. We've got Davis, Delanie and Humphries to move the chains. Need that deep threat who can stretch the field.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I've been repeatedly saying that the guy must also have reliable hands and the ability to make contested catches. Also guys like that drop to the middle rounds all the time due to size, playing at a small school, or even injury

I just find it funny that you want a super fast guy, who can consistently and reliably make contested catches, be able to run through traffic, be a good enough route runner to keep a CB from turning his hips and sprinting with him, demand safety help or double teams or at the very very least keep a safety honest every play, beat press coverage or simply just be soooooo fast that it's not even an option for a defense to guard him close.... and do all that all season as a rookie where he forces Taywan down the depth chart

I'm sure guys like that really do fall to the middle rounds all the time (obviously I am exaggerating but you're rarely going to find a mid-round receiver you're claiming are there all the time be able to do those things consistently and reliably to have the impact that people are claiming).

Edited by wiscotitansfan

6 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Teams just have to get beat deep a few times before they adjust and start taking safeties out of the box and underneath throwing lanes open up.

That's where I just disagree, we have had enough play action success that for the type of safety help that completely changes the way any defense has ever played Mariota so far would require more than just past the secondary a few times with surprising speed

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I just find it funny that you want a super fast guy, who can consistently and reliably make contested catches, be able to run through traffic, be a good enough route runner to keep a CB from turning his hips and sprinting with him, demand safety help or double teams or at the very very least keep a safety honest every play, beat press coverage or simply just be soooooo fast that it's not even an option for a defense to guard him close.... and do all that all season as a rookie where he forces Taywan down the depth chart

I'm sure guys like that really do fall to the middle rounds all the time (obviously I am exaggerating but you're rarely going to find a mid-round receiver you're claiming are there are the time be able to do those things consistently and reliably to have the impact that people are claiming).

I'm not asking for a guy that can do ALL of those things just a few of them and I'm not going to list them for the 4th time. I also find it interesting that you think this is what it would take to unseat Taywan Taylor. You're clearly much higher on him than I am. 

Just now, Mythos27 said:

I'm not asking for a guy that can do ALL of those things just a few of them and I'm not going to list them for the 4th time. I also find it interesting that you think this is what it would take to unseat Taywan Taylor. You're clearly much higher on him than I am. 

No, it would take much less than that to unseat Taylor... A mid-round rookie isn't unseating a guy who knows the offense and has shown enough the past year.

If we target a receiver high it'll be one thing, but just taking a guy when the value presents itself is saying that they have enough confidence in Taywan

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's where I just disagree, we have had enough play action success that for the type of safety help that completely changes the way any defense has ever played Mariota so far would require more than just getting beat a few times

Beat a defense deep 2 or 3 times early and see if that safety stays in the box. I bet he doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

No, it would take much less than that to unseat Taylor... A mid-round rookie isn't unseating a guy who knows the offense and has shown enough the past year.

If we target a receiver high it'll be one thing, but just taking a guy when the value presents itself is saying that they have enough confidence in Taywan

Oof, I think we disagree on all fronts here. Then again, it seems that you're higher on Taylor than most while I'm probably more down on him than most. I really just don't think he's good enough to do what we need. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, wiscotitansfan said:

Taylor is a slot guy. Signing Hump shows what we think of Taylor. On the outside he couldn't even beat out Sharpe.

29 minutes ago, reo said:

aTaylor is a slot guy. Signing Hump shows what we think of Taylor. On the outside he couldn't even beat out Sharpe.

Taylor isn't a slot guy, he barely played in the slot this past season. 

And the last 5 games or so Taylor got the majority of snaps outside of Davis and was right there with targets with Davis. He was clearly ahead of Sharpe

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

And the last 5 games or so Taylor got the majority of snaps outside of Davis and was right there with targets with Davis. He was clearly ahead of Sharpe

This staff and likely Robinson definitely see Taylor as mostly an outside receiver despite what was said about him pre draft. 

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Taylor played on 55% snaps (only 14% from the slot).  His production makes him a low-end #2 even with the lack of targets the Titans offense produced as a whole.  466 yards isn't terrible considering they threw for a nearly league bottom of under 30 attempts per game.  

Tajae Sharpe, by comparison, played on nearly 70% of snaps (nearly 40% from the slot) but still got fewer targets and yards throughout the season.  His physical skills are obviously less impressive as well.  Tajae's drop rate was higher as well.  Here's the real kicker though.  The QB rating when throwing to Taylor was 90.4.  When throwing to Sharpe it was 63.8.  

No question that Taylor is the better player and will play that #2 spot on the outside with Sharpe dropping to the #4 spot assuming they don't bring in another WR.  

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

Taylor played on 55% snaps (only 14% from the slot).  His production makes him a low-end #2 even with the lack of targets the Titans offense produced as a whole.  466 yards isn't terrible considering they threw for a nearly league bottom of under 30 attempts per game.  

Tajae Sharpe, by comparison, played on nearly 70% of snaps (nearly 40% from the slot) but still got fewer targets and yards throughout the season.  His physical skills are obviously less impressive as well.  Tajae's drop rate was higher as well.  Here's the real kicker though.  The QB rating when throwing to Taylor was 90.4.  When throwing to Sharpe it was 63.8.  

No question that Taylor is the better player and will play that #2 spot on the outside with Sharpe dropping to the #4 spot assuming they don't bring in another WR.  

Look at Taylor's numbers the last 5 games, snaps too

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Look at Taylor's numbers the last 5 games, snaps too

Week 17 he played 76% of snaps and got 6 targets (only 2 receptions)

Week 16 he played 77% of snaps and got 3 targets, on 20 routes (all 3 receptions for 64 yards

Week 15 he played 76% with 16 routes and 5 targets (2 receptions) This was a shitty week in the rain against the Giants

Week 14 he played 75% of snaps with 20 routes and 7 targets (6 receptions) and 59 yards

Week 13 he played only 46% of snaps but that was still 15 routes with 5 targets (3 receptions) with 104 yards

Considering the offense, Taylor was better than I thought.  He started out pretty slow and he was never dominant but he wasn't terrible with the ups and downs of the offense last year.  If they can protect Mariota, I think I'm okay with Taylor on the outside since they have a healthy Walker coming back, Deion Lewis should be full go, a new slot guy in Humphries to take some of the heat, an even better Corey Davis, and a hopefully improved run game.  Honestly, the #2 outside guy doesn't have to be a world beater in this offense because he's probably not the first look all that often.  He just needs to haul in a deep pass or two every now and then to keep the safeties honest.