OFFICIAL Tulsi Gabbard Thread

Legaltitan

2 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Iraq war veteran woman from Hawaii all sounds great until you look closer. Then the closer you look, the weirder she seems. 

Yeah.

I had never much heard of her until about 6 months ago, and thought wow, she seems great! But I agree, the more I learn the weirder she gets.

She likely knows that out here simply being semi-famous on a national stage is enough to get you local brownie points.  Hawaii is phenomenally parochial and combined with an overwhelming level of support for their own over all else that once someone "makes it" (and from local eyes, her being in the discussion as a prez candidate is making it even if simply of her own volition alone) they will tend to have unfettered support with little questioning of any deeper issues. 

Now that doesn't mean they think she'll win.  They're not that stupid/delusional. But they will be proud of her for trying and will remember her efforts for a long time (i.e. good chance for senate down the road, increased fundraising). 

You gotta remember this is the place where the nightly local TV spots segment would have how Shane Victorino did for the Phillies (on good nights anyway) but not mention if they won or lost. 

And as for her specifically, you also have to consider than Hawaii while an over the top without question democrat stronghold really isn't nearly as progressive as you might think on a number of issues.  They're more like old midwestern unionist dems rather than a coastal liberal in attitudes. Combine that with some rather devout bible thumpers (even though she's Hindu) and next thing you know you've got your "Hawaiian liberal dem" promoting anti-gay conversion therapy, with plenty of her supporters thinking that was peachy keen enough to elect her to the house.  I think she'd get torn apart on a number of issues like that if she made it into the actual running.

So why run now?  Because the writing on the wall says good chance a dem wins and therefore solid chance might be 8 more years before you can take advantage of the election cycle to boost your profile.  Too long to wait.

10 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Can't figure out this one, and what her angle is, but it does not appear that Democrats are buying any of what she is selling.

I could see her running out of funds pretty quickly and dropping out.

Do we really have to have a thread on her?

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Do we really have to have a thread on her?

Just jumping in to defend Legal here (not that he needs it but he's answered this a few times already): someone pointed out that all these threads about Dem candidates consistently only of white males.  So in name of fairness, etc, he started up Warren, Gabbard.  Guess waiting on Harris et al.

Not worst idea in that maybe Gabbard isn't much of a candidate, in which case she probably will have a thread to match - short in context and quick to fade away down the post list.  Sort of a natural selection process of thread/candidate survival of the fittest.

And frankly I have a hard time recalling such as wide open front on the Dem side in my lifetime.  '88 comes to mind in that free for all, but that was still closer to the traditional norms and ended up with 2 future VPs in the mix with Gore and Biden.  Dukakis of course getting the nomination and then getting slaughtered. 

7 hours ago, chef said:

She likely knows that out here simply being semi-famous on a national stage is enough to get you local brownie points.  Hawaii is phenomenally parochial and combined with an overwhelming level of support for their own over all else that once someone "makes it" (and from local eyes, her being in the discussion as a prez candidate is making it even if simply of her own volition alone) they will tend to have unfettered support with little questioning of any deeper issues. 

Now that doesn't mean they think she'll win.  They're not that stupid/delusional. But they will be proud of her for trying and will remember her efforts for a long time (i.e. good chance for senate down the road, increased fundraising). 

You gotta remember this is the place where the nightly local TV spots segment would have how Shane Victorino did for the Phillies (on good nights anyway) but not mention if they won or lost. 

And as for her specifically, you also have to consider than Hawaii while an over the top without question democrat stronghold really isn't nearly as progressive as you might think on a number of issues.  They're more like old midwestern unionist dems rather than a coastal liberal in attitudes. Combine that with some rather devout bible thumpers (even though she's Hindu) and next thing you know you've got your "Hawaiian liberal dem" promoting anti-gay conversion therapy, with plenty of her supporters thinking that was peachy keen enough to elect her to the house.  I think she'd get torn apart on a number of issues like that if she made it into the actual running.

So why run now?  Because the writing on the wall says good chance a dem wins and therefore solid chance might be 8 more years before you can take advantage of the election cycle to boost your profile.  Too long to wait.

Well said about local Hawaii politics.  It's basically still the Democratic machine with a lot of (uninformed) unionized voters voting Democrat.

10 hours ago, rns90 said:

Well said about local Hawaii politics.  It's basically still the Democratic machine with a lot of (uninformed) unionized voters voting Democrat.

What's funny is when you have such an overwhelming majority things tend to break up into schisms within the group so you get more conservative Dems basically taking the place of some would be Repubs.  Basically as long as they're not called Repubs its all good.

1 hour ago, chef said:

What's funny is when you have such an overwhelming majority things tend to break up into schisms within the group so you get more conservative Dems basically taking the place of some would be Repubs.  Basically as long as they're not called Repubs its all good.

Ed Case is an example. You mentioned this in another thread but this might be the only state where going to a lesser University would be considered a positive in politics.

Archived