Jonboy

Titans Trade for Tannehill, Release Gabbert

25 minutes ago, Huston said:

Didn't even consider this point

Mike Herndon‏ @MikeMiracles 2

"After pondering the Tannehill deal for a while I really think there is almost zero downside for the Titans. Since MIA is paying $5M of Tannehill’s $7M guaranteed and the Titans are saving $1.5M by releasing Gabbert, it’s a net add of $500k to the cap for 2019. Not bad...at all. The 4th round pick in 2020 isn’t a huge price for a cheap, very competent backup QB, but even better, the Titans could possibly flip Tannehill next offseason and get that pick (or more) back. If they let him walk and don’t end up signing a big FA class themselves...they could end up netting a 2021 4th or 5th round comp pick for Tannehill. If that happens, the whole deal might end up being a lot closer to free than it looks right now AND the Titans aren’t completely screwed if Mariota’s injury issues rear their head again. Win, win, win."

Exactly.

And what competent GM wouldn't make that move?

JRob KILLIN' it out there in FA Land.

ap24786   
3 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

They did last season...

The way Oman is talking, you would think the Eagles backup QB play was abysmal and the Titans backup QB play led them to their first ever super bowl. Oh wait.. it's the opposite. 

Tim   
28 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Basically:

Dolphins - Getting out of that massive amount of money they were going to owe a backup QB that was not in their future plans, even though they had to pay him $5M to do so.

Titans - Finally get a competent, starter-quality backup who can legitimately keep the team's goals on semi-track in case Mariota goes down who they didn't have to give up a shit ton for.

Mutual win/win for both teams.

Everything else? Narratives, opinions, and bullshit.

There have been narratives on this board that you shouldn’t try to upgrade at backup QB because they “all suck”. I never understood that mentality. Thankfully Robinson doesn’t either. 

nine   

It was already quite clear the Mariota’s future was cloudy;  this was underscored by  JRob’s comments after the season .   Marcus is obviously the de facto starter for 2019...but his status beyond that is very much TBD and hinges on what happens this year.

3 minutes ago, Tim said:

There have been narratives on this board that you shouldn’t try to upgrade at backup QB because they “all suck”. I never understood that mentality. Thankfully Robinson doesn’t either. 

Yeah, I've never understood that. The only reason the Titans made it to the Super Bowl in 99 is because they had a competent backup. Same reason the 2008 Titans did as well as they did by having someone who was smart enough not to get in the way and to follow the script.

3 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Yeah, I've never understood that. The only reason the Titans made it to the Super Bowl in 99 is because they had a competent backup. Same reason the 2008 Titans did as well as they did by having someone who was smart enough not to get in the way and to follow the script.

Come on Touched, if there's anything better than coffee and KOO KOO it's beer and KOO KOO. I don't have much time tonight. MAKE ME LAUGH BITCH!

Leave it to Oman to come in and try and spin this a certain way. 

Its obvious that Mariota isn’t established like a Drew Brees, so your sought toward him is way off. It’s pretty common knowledge that this is his do or die year. 

But, go ahead.. continue to spin it however you feel makes you seem right. 

Dinx81   
57 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

And there's always the side benefit.

There aren't any videos of him eating a booger, that might pop up on the 'net at any moment.

There is a video somewhere of him throwing the ball like 6 feet in front of him when the receiver was about 10 yards away